Inconsistent bullets

okie man

so I picked up a box of bullets too develope a load for my 308. Found a length, charge and primer that is shooting pretty darn good . Oal is .005 shorter than mag box , 3.220 too ogive with Hornady comprator. So I ordered 200 more and loaded them up too same oal using comparator. Problem is the oal from case head too bullet tip is .025 longer! Wth? I'm using a compressed charge at near maximum and really don't want too seat them deeper so they fit in mag box. They shoot great when single feed or first up in mag. Needless too say I'm looking for a new more consistent bullet for future use in this gun

Dimensionally the Hammer's have been the most consistent, box to box bullet to bullet for me.

.308, short magazine, their 160 ish, to 170 ish grain bullets will likely do what you need.

I've found the same with the Hornady 200gr eldx. I believe I was somewhere between .02"-.025" from tip to ogive. I'll be switching to the 215 Berger when I get my new barrel completed. Probably use the eldx I have for fireforming and 300blk subs.

I just weight sorted a couple boxes of eld's some 147 6.5's and 230gr 338's. They have nearly a grain of variance in a box, and what looks like at least two production lines in each box. The 147's had two "nodes" in the weights - 146.96 and 147.28, I had about 20 bullets at each of those and several really close, then about 10 outliers that were as low as 146.64 and as high as 147.58. The 230's were similar, but I think there was would be three nodes if I had more bullets to sort. Weight sorting bergers has always shown one median weight and a few bullets distributed around that one point, for any match bullet I think thats the way it should be- each lot come from one poduction machine and set of dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.