COAL inconsistencies with Berger bullets

TackDriv3r

When I check OAL length, I used to seat a lightly seated bullet in a dummy round and chamber for measurements, but now I use a Hornady OAL gauge for more precise measurement. When I measure from the ogive of the bullet to the base of the cartridge, I use that measurement to make my OAL for my rifles. One question I have is, the meplat is inconsistent on Matchkings and Berger bullets. Does removing the meplat make your accuracy better since the nose is longer / shorter when the ogive of those loaded cardridges are the exact measurements? If cutting the meplat, will it have more drag on the flatter nose on the longer bullet than the shorter bullet which has a more defined nose when shooting extreme ranges?

Yes meplat trimming slightly reduces BC , but makes each bullets BC more uniform.
Uniformity and consistency is what most of us strive for in hand loading.

The next step after meplat trimming is POINTING which closes the meplat back to a sharper profile. Making the BC better than before AND more consistent than before.

I believe one of our members trimmed his VLD tips for more consistent expansion on game.

Do not measure from the meplat, only the ogive. As Brice said, meplat trimming and pointing will make accuracy more consistent at long ranges. But, not by much.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.