Improper breakin for a new barrel

You have heard many opinions and theories and that Is why I run test to prove one way or the other. Some of my test have shattered my beliefs and theories because so many people told me that It was a fact.

In my post I referenced a test that In my mind convinced me that a brake in was necessary on all barrels the get it performing at it's best. I also did another test later own to back up the results and it did. It was a much lower velocity test but the results were amazingly similar.

Some of the arguments I have heard are = Adds to the round count. I have found it does just the opposite by allowing load development to start sooner and be achieved with less rounds fired. Before I started breaking in my barrels it was not unusual to take 50 to 100 rounds to find an accurate load. Some even took more. now while breaking in a barrel I do some component changes to see if there is a trend and sometimes this gives me a jump on the load development when the barrel is broke in. Now most of the time i find a good load in less than 20 or 30 rounds. I feel one of the reasons is that the barrel is more consistent in this state.

I also hear that copper fouling has to be laid down before accuracy will peek. All of the best groups I have shot have been with a clean barrel. It is true that at some point it will shoot if fouled and when shooting 100+ shot matches with no chance of cleaning you have to rely on this method, but you must work up your load in the fouled condition if you intend to shoot this way. With a properly worked up load for both conditions, A clean bore will normally out shoot a fouled bore because the fouling in a bore is not consistent, and a clean bore is/can be.

Like everyone I know that has tried it, they all see the advantages and the accuracy improvement by doing a brake in.

I have no intention of trying to change peoples mind about brake in and all I can do is offer my experiences of 55+years of shooting, hunting and building accurate rifles. I use the vary best barrels and the only difference I can see when braking in a rifle is the number of shots required to reach brake in.

Just my experience

J E CUSTOM
Great responce, I do the same thing in all my barrels and recommend to my clients to do the same. Barrel accuracy stays for longer and clien up is soooooo much quicker and easier.

You have heard many opinions and theories and that Is why I run test to prove one way or the other. Some of my test have shattered my beliefs and theories because so many people told me that It was a fact.

In my post I referenced a test that In my mind convinced me that a brake in was necessary on all barrels the get it performing at it's best. I also did another test later own to back up the results and it did. It was a much lower velocity test but the results were amazingly similar.

Some of the arguments I have heard are = Adds to the round count. I have found it does just the opposite by allowing load development to start sooner and be achieved with less rounds fired. Before I started breaking in my barrels it was not unusual to take 50 to 100 rounds to find an accurate load. Some even took more. now while breaking in a barrel I do some component changes to see if there is a trend and sometimes this gives me a jump on the load development when the barrel is broke in. Now most of the time i find a good load in less than 20 or 30 rounds. I feel one of the reasons is that the barrel is more consistent in this state.

I also hear that copper fouling has to be laid down before accuracy will peek. All of the best groups I have shot have been with a clean barrel. It is true that at some point it will shoot if fouled and when shooting 100+ shot matches with no chance of cleaning you have to rely on this method, but you must work up your load in the fouled condition if you intend to shoot this way. With a properly worked up load for both conditions, A clean bore will normally out shoot a fouled bore because the fouling in a bore is not consistent, and a clean bore is/can be.

Like everyone I know that has tried it, they all see the advantages and the accuracy improvement by doing a brake in.

I have no intention of trying to change peoples mind about brake in and all I can do is offer my experiences of 55+years of shooting, hunting and building accurate rifles. I use the vary best barrels and the only difference I can see when braking in a rifle is the number of shots required to reach brake in.

Just my experience

J E CUSTOM
This being said, get on some br forums and ask them how they break in or clean their barrels between or after matches. You will get a lot of them shooting dirty fouled barrels while maybe running a dry patch before a match.

I'm not sure how you can prove a barrel would have taken longer to load develop for had you gone another route cleaning. They're all unique to a point

ive ready close to 100 or more posts on breaking in a new barrel. What I couldn't find is what to do if you've already ran 20 rounds through fire forming brass before the shoot and clean break in.

I've read about using tubbs bullets but would like opinions first as I'm fairly new to this.
I have been shooting rifle and shotgun for 53 years and have never broken in a rifle barrel I shoot and rely on accuracy of the shot
I clean my barrels after each time.I shoot and never had a problem
Get to know how to use the proper form when shooting each rifle
I only shoot to a maximum of 600yds usually must less than that as I learned to stalk as a young man
I would not worry which way you choose just clean well

To the OP, I think your barrel is going to be fine. Clean, shoot, repeat. Don't stress.

To the folks 'bad-mouthing' the David Tubb Final Finish process (http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-loaded-ammo), I am at a loss for the hate. It works. It's not harmful. It's not 'required', either, but if a shooter has a gun that fouls badly and/or isn't shooting very well, it could be the best $35 to $40 you could spend to improve your rifle. And that's not just MY opinion:
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/gunsmithing_finish_0723/83432
or
http://www.larrywillis.com/Final.html
or
https://www.snipercountry.com/david-tubbs-final-finish/
or
https://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm
or
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/9/30/barrel-break-in-how-to-do-it-right/

I've used it. I've been happy with the results. If a person is concerned about firing an 'abrasive' bullet down their bore, I totally get that. Don't. Do what works for you. It's America. Freedom and all that...

This being said, get on some br forums and ask them how they break in or clean their barrels between or after matches. You will get a lot of them shooting dirty fouled barrels while maybe running a dry patch before a match.

I'm not sure how you can prove a barrel would have taken longer to load develop for had you gone another route cleaning. They're all unique to a point

I was trained by a Bench rest gun smith, and he like others had his own methods for achieving accuracy. He was well accomplished/known in both fields. He stated many times that there were many different opinions and he respected there opinions. (Especially as long as He won). I also remember him saying, don't believe anything that other competitors say until you can prove it to your self. They will tell you anything that gives them the edge.

I competed many years and learned this lesson well and even told other competitors
that they were right when actually I had tried there suggestion and it didn't work out, So I kept on doing things that kept me on top. I no longer compete with anyone (Just Myself) and have been very happy with my methods for accuracy. I enjoy helping others now, and have nothing to prove. When I started hunting 50+years ago, I was happy with accuracy of 1 to 1.5 MOA. as I progressed in ability, i expected 3/4 MOA from a rifle. Moving on to shooting matches, I found that 1/2 Moa was a minimum requirement to be competitive. Once I started learning what real accuracy was I expected 1/4 MOA consistency. With today's powders and quality components, combined with good gunsmithing and loading consistently concentric ammo. Accuracy well below 1/4 MOA is achievable If the shooter is on his game and does lots of practicing. The idea now is to be challenged by the rifle instead of the rifle becoming the excuse for poor performance. I want every rifle/firearm to out perform me, so accuracy is up to me.

As to proving that a barrel that has been broke in properly My records have proven it to me And I no longer spend days and hundreds of rounds looking for the best load.
I really don't have to prove to anyone that it saves time and components, If they want to pass on a suggested method, That's up to the individual not me. all I can do is pass on what I have tried and learned and hopefully save someone the trouble I had while trying to achieve the best from a rifle. One other find while testing and keeping good records Is a slightly longer useful barrel life if broke in properly.

I respect others opinions and don't try to talk them out of what they are doing. Sometimes I pick up a pearl of logic from some member and have to try it. some times it proves out and other time it doesn't, But in order to learn, I have to keep an open mind. Many things suggested didn't work out or I had tried them in the past and found no advantage.

This long winded post is just My opinion based on My experiences and maybe it will help some. Unlike some, I like to hear other peoples opinions and experiences that's why I am one this site. :):)

J E CUSTOM

I was trained by a Bench rest gun smith, and he like others had his own methods for achieving accuracy. He was well accomplished/known in both fields. He stated many times that there were many different opinions and he respected there opinions. (Especially as long as He won). I also remember him saying, don't believe anything that other competitors say until you can prove it to your self. They will tell you anything that gives them the edge.

I competed many years and learned this lesson well and even told other competitors
that they were right when actually I had tried there suggestion and it didn't work out, So I kept on doing things that kept me on top. I no longer compete with anyone (Just Myself) and have been very happy with my methods for accuracy. I enjoy helping others now, and have nothing to prove. When I started hunting 50+years ago, I was happy with accuracy of 1 to 1.5 MOA. as I progressed in ability, i expected 3/4 MOA from a rifle. Moving on to shooting matches, I found that 1/2 Moa was a minimum requirement to be competitive. Once I started learning what real accuracy was I expected 1/4 MOA consistency. With today's powders and quality components, combined with good gunsmithing and loading consistently concentric ammo. Accuracy well below 1/4 MOA is achievable If the shooter is on his game and does lots of practicing. The idea now is to be challenged by the rifle instead of the rifle becoming the excuse for poor performance. I want every rifle/firearm to out perform me, so accuracy is up to me.

As to proving that a barrel that has been broke in properly My records have proven it to me And I no longer spend days and hundreds of rounds looking for the best load.
I really don't have to prove to anyone that it saves time and components, If they want to pass on a suggested method, That's up to the individual not me. all I can do is pass on what I have tried and learned and hopefully save someone the trouble I had while trying to achieve the best from a rifle. One other find while testing and keeping good records Is a slightly longer useful barrel life if broke in properly.

I respect others opinions and don't try to talk them out of what they are doing. Sometimes I pick up a pearl of logic from some member and have to try it. some times it proves out and other time it doesn't, But in order to learn, I have to keep an open mind. Many things suggested didn't work out or I had tried them in the past and found no advantage.

This long winded post is just My opinion based on My experiences and maybe it will help some. Unlike some, I like to hear other peoples opinions and experiences that's why I am one this site. :):)

J E CUSTOM
Well said. Still curious about the "whys". Nothing wrong with asking people to defend there position with evidence. I'm more than happy to explain my reasons for what I do. Ask away :)

J E CUSTOM
Excellent read

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.