Barrel breakin

Or you could just bag the break in all together. I think its over rated...especially with an aftermarket barrel like proof.
+1 ......but the extra cleaning does help sell more barrels and let you spend more time at the range ....though actual trigger time would be much more productive.

Everyone has their own method of barrel break in and this is mine.

I started with 10 rounds, shoot clean, shoot clean method. Then 3 rounds fired, clean, for 15. Then 5 rounds fired, clean, for 25. Call it good after that. I started with powder charge first, then adjusted seating depth. To each their own.

I think you will find that as you continue to shoot 1 then clean, you will see that you will eventually use less and less patches to get it clean. First 15 or 20 rounds (total) were where my barrel started to come clean after only 2 or three patches. I also use Bore Tech Eliminator with their jags, and making sure the plastic bore brushes do not contain any brass .

So, I just went through this myself lol. I recently broke in a barrel with my first ever use of eliminator and the proof positive jag, and proof positive nylon brush on a tipton rod. At first I went through more patches than made sense following the directions perfectly. THEN, I tried getting the bore well soaked and letting it sit several minutes between patches. The difference was amazing. The barrel cleaned out FASTER, and with much less patches being used! Furthermore, it was the first time I didn't have to say "good enough, that's only a tiny bit of blue". Instead it was free of any blue at all. THIS cleaning was performed after about 50 shots, round count on rifle at 100.

ya if i remember right i did the 4 wet patches right off, then the wetted brush about 15 strokes, then 2 or 3 really wet patches then let sit like 10 minutes, then a couple dry patches, repeat as much as needed. I think I was fully clean from 50 firings after 2 rounds of this.

Slotted tips work better than tight fitting jags when applying cleaning products inside a barrel

I have a new proof carbon barrel in 3oo win mag iam breaking in. Iam doing the 1 shot and clean for 5 shots. Iam on the 4 th shot I would like to know do you clean after each shot until no blue shows up on your patches. Iam using bore tec illiminater and I went thru 2 bags of patches. does this seem right. Thanks
Many barrel manufacturers say more barrels are ruined by cleaning than by shooting.
Listen to John Krieger

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts