Barrel breakin

buzzyb

I have a new proof carbon barrel in 3oo win mag iam breaking in. Iam doing the 1 shot and clean for 5 shots. Iam on the 4 th shot I would like to know do you clean after each shot until no blue shows up on your patches. Iam using bore tec illiminater and I went thru 2 bags of patches. does this seem right. Thanks

What kind of rod are you using? If using a Tipton Rod, you have to discern if the patch is making contact with the end of the rod when evaluating your passed patch. I just soaked a patch with Eliminator and rubbed it on the end of the rod.
3124237F-9AD6-4F3F-A120-E3ACAB72019E.jpeg

I also got my first Proof CF barrel last month. I'm not big on break-in, but I followed the Smith's recommendations for the first 100 rounds. My Proof cleans just as easy as all my bartleins and benchmarks.

Sounds like you are doing an EXCELLENT job! I like to break in barrels but I don't believe its necessary to get ALL the copper out. What I mean by this is I'll look at the shade of blue I see on the patches. If it's a darker blue I keep cleaning but if it's a lighter blue then I'll proceed to shoot the next shot.

I limit the "fire one shot and clean" to 10 rounds. Then I'll start firing 3 shots and clean.

Here's what I've been doing, it might be cheating, but it has been working for me. Shoot a round, run run one patch with Sweets. Wait 30 sec. Run another patch with sweets. Wait 30sec. Spray inside of barrel out with gunscrubber. Run a bore snake through it twice, shoot, repeat. Fire 10rds this way, then every three for 9 more. Then clean as needed. And, that is not very often. After the first 19 rounds I switch to HBN coated bullets. Been doing it this way for years. Hate cleaning guns, and it is working for me. Carbon makes me clean barrels, not copper.

Are you forgetting to run an oil patch down the bore before firing the next shot? You have to have a thin coat of thin oil in the bore. Something like 3in1 oil is fine. Even after it's broken in, you should always oil the bore after cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.