Barrel breakin

My personal break in method.
1. Shoot 1.
2. Repeat
I was shocked when our gun builder at Phoenix Customs told me to do exactly that.
I cleaned twice in 100 break-in rounds.
It was an awkward feeling since I cleaned way too much on everything else I owned.
I still can't detect any change in the throat dimension. Checked twice....

I dont do a certain number of shoot and clean rounds before I change to 3 or 5 shot groups. I let the particular barrel tell me when to change up. When I quit getting blue patches, I change up to 3 shot groups. If I shoot a 3 shot and dont get a blue patch, i go to 5 shot grouping. Once the blue goes away on the 5 shot groups, I'm broke in. There is no way to break in a barrel properly using a set number of shots. They are all different tubes and it will tell you what it needs .
Never owned a CF barrel, so i have no insight on that question.

Are you forgetting to run an oil patch down the bore before firing the next shot? You have to have a thin coat of thin oil in the bore. Something like 3in1 oil is fine. Even after it's broken in, you should always oil the bore after cleaning.
No oil. HBN is the lube

I have done it both ways a few times. Last week I got a new barrel. Fired 25 rounds to make brass. Came home and cleaned. Fired 25 more and it cleaned up just easy as the barrels I have done the shoot one clean one. Just took a little longer to get the copper off. I cheat on first cleaning snd after soaking for a while, multiple
Patches etc, I will put a small portion of Iosso on a nylon brush and short stroke the first 12" of barrel. This takes copper off and smooths out any tooling that is holding copper. Has worked great for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts