I'm having a problem with the CBTO

Remington 243

Doing loads for my ruger RPR and I am not liking the way it feels using the Hornady OAL guage. I can not really feel when I hit the lans. And the Hornady OAL tool is difficult to use in this gun.
Is anyone else having problems getting good measurement?

Occasionally, I have that issue with mine but in general, I really like the tool. Sometimes, with the ogive profile of a given bullet, the "stop" at the lands is not very distinct and the bullet actually skids "a bit" upon contact with the lands. This can be up to .015 in my experience. When it happens to me, I either switch bullets or seat out as far as I can (i,e., seat with a diameter of the bullet depth or to mag length). I suppose I could make up dummie rounds and do the Sharpie routine but I'm usually to lazy to do that. It doesn't happen very often so I don't loose too much sleep over it as long as the groups are good!
Cheers!

I use to be a fan of the Hornady tool, but have since started using the Wheeler method. It's more consistent for me and I get much better feel. The Hornady tool works, but I get a better feel and feel that my results are more accurate and consistent with the Wheeler method.

Thanks guys, but my question is more directed to the RPR. The guage I think is ok. It is the feel of the bullet entering the chamber throat. Its a different feel than my other bold guns. It is not a positive feel like I get on my Remingtons.

Clean throat makes a big difference. Also are you seating the case in the chamber and pushing the bullet to the lands with the plunger or putting the bullet in the case long and letting the lands push the bullet into the case until the case seats in the chamber. I test w both methods.

I am pushing the bullet into the case pretty far in. Slightly tighting the set screw. Guide the rod into the chamber, making sure that the case is up against the chamber by letting it tap, tap, against the throat wall. Then losen the screw and push the bullet into the throat. Trying to feel where the lands start, then tighten the screw and back out the rod.
Thanks for all your help guys.

I am pushing the bullet into the case pretty far in. Slightly tighting the set screw. Guide the rod into the chamber, making sure that the case is up against the chamber by letting it tap, tap, against the throat wall. Then losen the screw and push the bullet into the throat. Trying to feel where the lands start, then tighten the screw and back out the rod.
Thanks for all your help guys.

At some point you might want to consider having a custom modified case made from brass that has been fired in YOUR chamber. Hornady will do that for a small fee or you could purchase the necessary drill bit and tap for @ $20.00 on Amazon and have a Smith do it for you.....or if you're handy...do it yourself.
Century 11612 Letter Gauge Drill... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A18HF1S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

5/16" - 36 UNEF HSS Machine Tap,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4PSBA8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.