I'm gearing up for a ladder test. I have a few ?????s

4ked Horn

I\'m gearing up for a ladder test. I have a few ?????s

I had a Q for the ladder testers here.

I am going to do a ladder for my brothers .338 win mag and my nephews .243 win. I ran ballistics on an approximate high and low velocity to see how much room this would take up on the target paper. In other words, how much the velocity increase would raise the trajectory. I came up with a number of around 7 inches for the .338 but it was only 2 inches with the .243. Both numbers were derived by running a ballistics program and only changing the velocity. I left the zero distance at 100 yards.

Question numero uno: Is my logic flawed to the point that I am way off base?

Question numer zwei: If the guns were capable of shooting 1/2 MOA at 300 yards won't there be a very good chance that 19 shots spread out over 7 inches (.338) or 14 rounds over 2 inches (.243) will be all over the place in a funny looking little vertical cluster?

What am I missing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Re: I\'m gearing up for a ladder test. I have a few ?????s

In a nutshell from my experience, barrel harmonics.

sewwhat89 I have no idea what that means.

Abinok. Are you there?

I could use some input here.

[ QUOTE ]
Question numero uno: Is my logic flawed to the point that I am way off base?

Question numer zwei: If the guns were capable of shooting 1/2 MOA at 300 yards won't there be a very good chance that 19 shots spread out over 7 inches (.338) or 14 rounds over 2 inches (.243) will be all over the place in a funny looking little vertical cluster?

What am I missing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinkin' isn't flawed and you aren't missing anything but I'm thinkin you'll learn the difference between the paper/calculation world and the real world.

Just get'er done. It'll be an eye opener. Great experience.

I'd tell you what my REM 700 338 Win did but factory rifles are so different that it wouldn't be of any benefit to you.

Consider taking a looooonnnnggg time between shots. I learned a lot from a Kirby post about remington barrels and barrel heat. They have a characteristic all their own.

Consider setting up your trigger as best as it can be. My trigger is a ***, never consistent in pull and let-off. If you're shooting 225s you'll know why about the 12th shot. If shooting 250s you'll know at about the 7th shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif If you have a good brake, you'll never know, which is a good thing. If you're shooting less than 225s,.... nah,.... I won't say it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You'll most probably find that just because the amount of powder went up, velocity may not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif that drives me nutz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

There aren't many on here or anywhere else doing any thing with cals greater than 30, so you're getting into the big leagues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have some fun!!!!

Thanks roy. That is just what I wanted to hear. Just tell me this, when you did your ladder test what were the high and low powder charge and how long was the distance between the upper and lower bullet holes? Did you test at 200 or 300 yards?

Also where is the post on bbl heat by kirby? I would love to read it.

4ked,
good idea, and it might work out that way... but ill bet probably not. Ive shot ladders that showed less than 2" of vertical at 300... and some with more than 60". Two that spring to mind were 300Wm, 240SMK, H1000, and 243WIN, 70gr TNT, and H414.
Ill bet you won't know untill you poke some paper.

Hey man, where you been? That does answer my question enough to make sure I bring some tall targets. Is there any thing I should know before I set out on this mission? Any little things to look for? Will there be any problem shooting the ladder with a 10 mph tail wind? Am I correct in thinking that I will find zero with starting loads and then but the bull at the bottom of the fresh paper assuming that the POI will be climbing? Was that a stupid question? Of course they will climb.

I am going to shoot the ladder for my nephew but I am going to have my bro shoot all 19 rounds from his .338. I'm thinking that it is better to have the same person that started the ladder finish it. I wouldn't want to be his shoulder when this is all done.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.