105 A-Max Ladder Test Velocity?

LNGRNG90

I shot my first ladder test yesterday at 300 yards, and I am curious if I am reading my results right. I also got some really unexpected velocities. The test was shot from my Savage 11-VT .243 with a Sightron S-lll 6-24x50. The components I was using were Hornady 105 A-Max bullets seated at 2.800" OAL, RL-22, Hornady brass, and CCI 250 primers.

Starting charge : 41.0 gr

Max charge: 46.1 (45.3 was about the only posted max charge I could find, so I just started low and worked my way up.)

There were 18 different loads and each one was 0.3 gr apart. I didn't get all the way to MY max charge before I had pressure signs. I made it to load #16 and my primer was starting to crater. On loads 15 and 16 the sun started shining on my chronograph and my velocity jumped almost 100 fps (I'm assuming that is what caused it). My first load's velocity was 2,864 fps, and load #16 was 3,245 fps! I had a node at loads #4 (error), #5 (error), and #6 (2,968 fps) that had a vertical dispersion of 0.614", and the next node was loads #10 (3,116 fps), 11 (3,153 fps), and #12 (3,134 fps) that had a vertical dispersion of 0. 216". The temperature was 40 degrees out, and I do most of my shooting between 30 - 80 degrees. I would appreciate it if someone would share if the second node (10,11,12) would be ok come warmer weather from what they have experienced. I could not find much information on RL-22 and 105 A-Amax's.

Each line is 1" apart..

Has anyone else had much higher velocities than what book max states? I shot 2 other rifles through it with known velocities, and my chronograph was spot on with what they should have read, so I'm not worried about a off reading from that stand point. Thanks in advance for any input!

I would use load 11 and do a seating depth test at 100yds to get the bullets shooting on one hole.
Load 11 is far from max. ,should be fine even in the hot Florida summer temps I shoot in.

I was thinking to do a load test in .2 gr groups between 10-12. Do you think that 11 would just shoot just as good from your experience?

Unless you have a chronograph to check the ES and SD I think number 11 would be in the middle of a stable velocity range.
It's a great starting point.

Thanks, I hadn't stumbled across that thread yet.. This is my first time using RL-22. Are those velocities pretty normal for such a load as this?

never use that combination so I can't tell you about the velocities . You just check with a reloading manual and see how it compares

As has been said, if it was my ladder I would now do a seating depth test with load 11 on a still day.
That node shows very nice vertical.
Show us how the fine tuning goes.

I'll definitely post the results of the #11 loaded. Unfortunately it will prob be a week or so since we have some bad weather rolling in tonight. I want to keep the OAL short enough to fit in the magazine. This is a hunting rifle first, and a target rifle second even though it'll definitely get shot a lot throughout the year. Would it be more desirable to go with a shorter or longer length than the 2.800"?

Assuming that max magazine length is well off of the lands. Start at max magazine length and work down from there.

When I worked up one of my loads for my .308 I shot entirely wayyyyyy to many test loads. There was no ladder test or OCW test. It took forever, and I'm over test loading that much lol.. It paid off in the long run since the action and barrel are both factory and shooting under 1/4 MOA at 300 yards, but I'm just wanting a final load for this .243 with as least amount of shots as possible.

I feel the same way.
I actually load up bunch of rounds using the powder charge that gives me the best ES/SD and load them to max length.
I bring a portable press to the range and do the seating depth test at the range.
That way no extra shots no wasted time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.