If you couldn't load your own ammunition...

The question makes little sense to me. I can imagine a time when I might not be able to buy ammunition, but if I'm ever not able to load my own ammunition I'll either be too sick to shoot or dead. I already have enough hand loading supplies to last the rest of my life. Probably enough factory ammo too.

I would probably find out what premium hunting bullets different manufacturers were using and pick my ammo based on what bullet I wanted to shoot. I have had good luck with Hornady ammo though. even though i dont care for the bullet choices

HSM looks like good ammo. If it shoots well in your rifle, get enough to get you buy until you can get some handloading equipment and then start handloading. It's a lot cheaper per round. HSM also uses Winchester brass which will be worth keeping and relaoding with... better than Fed.

-Mark

I have used the HSM long range ammo in a few rifles and some liked it some didn't. The guy who I really needed it to work for just happened to be one that it shot well under MOA. It is the cheapest ammo on the shelf at our local store and you can buy it in large lots which for consistency I would think would be good, I would sort it by COAL as there is an odd one every once in a while and use for practice. Also found the factory velocity specs to be very close to what we got.

Combined Over All Length, it would require you to have a set of calipers to measure from the base of the loaded cartridge to the tip of the bullet.

Better yet is to have a Hornady bullet comparator tool so you measure from cartridge base to bullet ogive which will give you a good measurement of how far of the lands you are.
In a box of HSM ammo I found that there were a few loaded a few thousandths shorter and since they are VLD bullets they can get a little picky about seating depth.

Thanks - very good to know.

Man, I have so many things to buy for all of this...

I may have missed it but what game are you going to hunt? The way to figure out what ammo you want to use starts with picking the game to be hunted and the maximum range at which a shot is likely to be taken. Then one looks at bullet weight, and finally picks a cartridge that shoots that bullet weight with enough muzzle velocity to bring down the game at the max range.

Having the cartridge and bullet weight decided, the type of bullet is next.

After that it is a matter of what the rifle likes to shoot.

For deer hunting there are lots and lots of good bullets. That said, it's hard to beat the Barnes TTSX bullet. For varmints there are lots of good bullets - for me V-max and Ballistic Tip have worked the best.

Finallly there is being able to actually shoot the rifle well enough that the test shooting will yield results. If I were starting all this today, I'd start with a .22LR in a good make known for being able to shoot tiny groups, for example a CZ452 or CZ453 with a 3-9x40 scope on it, learn to shoot it well enough that I could distinguish between brands of ammo. Develope good habits. Hunt some small game with it. Then I'd move up to what ever cartridge and rifle works for the intended game.

That's how I got started decades ago - shoot a .22LR at paper targets, tin cans, rocks, and small game. Shot thousands of rounds of that at various things toting a Winchester Pump around in the woods. I also got to shoot my Dad's Winchester Model 52 sporter quite a bit. Loved that rifle. Shot lots of squirrels, rabbbits and rats with it. And one big nasty woodchuck out by the chicken coop.

There are a number of rifles that advertise shooting less than an inch with Factory ammo. That's plenty accurate enough for deer sized game to several hundred yards in the right cartridge.

My nephews have been successfully deer hunting for 16 years now. One of them has a 7mmMAG - he buys 150g Rem Cor Lokt ammo by the box. A box every three years or so and gets 10 to 15 deer per box. The other own uses 150g Core Lokt in what ever .30-06 he can borrow and gets 10 to 15 deer per box.

If deer hunting is the goal, and money is the constraint - buy a Stevens 200 in .30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope in the $200.00 porice range, a couple of boxes of Rem Core Lokt, and go get some meat. If you can shoot that will get you into the field able to shoot deer at ranges of 300 yards or less point blank range for less than $700.00 including the deer license. Work into it from there.

Given the generality of your question, that's about as specific as I can get.

Fitch

The way to figure out what ammo you want to use starts with:

1) picking the game to be hunted

North American big game. Coyotes to Moose.

2) the maximum range at which a shot is likely to be taken

Unsure on this, but I'd like to be able to reach out there a ways if necessary. 600-800 yards maybe?

3) bullet weight

Reading a few things on here I'm really leaning towards 180gr being good enough to work on whatever.

4) cartridge that shoots that bullet weight with enough muzzle velocity to bring down the game at the max range

I just bought a Weatherby .300 WSM Vanguard Sub-MOA.

Having the cartridge and bullet weight decided, the type of bullet is next.

Herein lies my problem. Not being able to load my own yet, I was hoping to get suggestions on factory ammo from guys that have had to do it that way in recent days. I kind of like the HSM stuff simply because I've read some good things about the Berger bullets here on this site. I'm thinking I'll buy a box of those and maybe try the cheaper Fusion as well just to see how things go.

I have only been hunting for a couple of years so I have limited experience compared to others on here......with that being said, the 2 deer and 2 caribou that have been shot with my .308 with 168gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips never needed more than one shot and they all went less than 100 yards. Granted they were all good shots and the longest was around 100 yards. I started reloading now, but haven't gotten anything with my reloads as of yet...hopefully this year :D

Lots of good advise in this thread. I have to add "the case for reloading" which I expect every one already knows but for the record. reloads with hunting bullets are always(IMHO) more accurate and easier to reproduce than factory ammo once you find the right combo. finding the right combo will be cheeper threw reloads than with factory ammo once you buy your reloading basics. reloading basics do not have to be expensive or extensive. they can be (at you own discretion) BUT it does not have to be. Even just the most basic set up= bench,press,dies,shell holder,lube,chamfer tool, trimmer and scale, can produce ammo that will blow factory out of the water and turn a 1.5" rifle into a .6" rifle in many cases. you will want that accuracy if your trophy is 800 yards out there when you drop the hammer. In standard (non magnum) calibers factory ammo is not always terribly overpriced but even in a WSM 2 different loads from 3 different manufacturers is not extensive testing but is a huge chunk of money. Enough money to get started reloading and guarantee you get the most out of you rifle. They say reloading is a life long hobby, thats the great thing about it, once you buy these tools they can be used for any pistol/rifle except for a couple caliber specific and inexpensive components and they will last a life time. Just my honest ramblings, take it for whatever it's worth.

One of you guys needs to come to my area and teach a class in all this stuff. A couple of nights a week for a few weeks and a guy learns all he needs to about reloading.

Yeah, yeah, I know... everyone else just read the book and ran with it. I suppose that's where I'll end up as well but, I'd still be glad to take a class from someone who knows something about it all so that I don't wind up blowing myself up. :D

I had good mentors, and it helped alot. I asked alot of ''stupid questions'' too. At the end of the day I came out way ahead for the knowledge they passed on to me. You have L/R/H, wich is almost as good as hands on in some cases and better in some cases. From what Ive learned here, and read on here, nobody is gonna rip on anyone for asking a question. That is one of the absolute best things about this site. Theres a huge pile of knowledge on this site, and the folks here are happy to share it.
Do yourself a favor. Order a Cabelas Shooting magazine. Its free. You dont ever have to buy anything from Cabelas if you dont want to, but the pictures etc are very educational. And a great source of motivation to buy your own stuff. Then get a loading book (I like Hornady 7th edition for the how to info explained in detail) but most any load book will have this info. Read that and your Cabelas Shooting magazine looking over components etc. Youll be hooked and on your way to buying your own equipment in no time. The added bonus of it all is that youll be able to ask educated questions and understand the responses.
When the ''guess work'' is taken out of the equasion, its alot less intimidating. And usually alot more fun and accurate. Knowing your gonna hit something is way more fun than thinking you might be able too if...............
It has its own set of chalenges, but its quite rewarding when it all comes togather.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.