Designing your own wildcats

As for wildcat naming, I feel the best standard is to simply name it what it is. 6x47, 25br, 6.5saum, 26wssm imp, 22-243AI, etc. The boo-boos and super-duper magnum this & that are pretty hard for the shooting community to accept as credible,, so they go unaccepted & fade away.

+1
well said

That was my point. Unless you are totally changing the cartridge the caliber and the improvement are all that should be placed on a barrel ID to minimize the confusion.

J E CUSTOM

+1
well said

That was my point. Unless you are totally changing the cartridge the caliber and the improvement are all that should be placed on a barrel ID to minimize the confusion.

J E CUSTOM

So you don't like .224 BMOC? Here it is next to a .223. It has the same capacity as the.30-06. The A-Max base is at the neck / shoulder junction. It was designed around the idea of the inside case diameter should be 2.1 times the bore diameter and the shoulders should be sort of rounded. I think I got snookered on the shape idea. But is does fire the A-Max fast from a 26" Savage barrel.
DSC00215.jpg

It's not always easy to keep it simple -without embellishment.
For example, a '6br imp' or '243 IMP' are too ambiguous among a myriad of existing improved 6brs & 243s.
So it makes sense here to dub one 6BRX, or 6XC, given they're so different from parent cartridges.
It may be easier to coin a 22Cheetah -vs- 22-243Imp, or 22XC, or 22-6XC.

224 BMOC (whatever that is), or 22-06 Imp (where easier to understand), or 22 ABL400 (accurate barrel life)..

So you don't like .224 BMOC? Here it is next to a .223. It has the same capacity as the.30-06. The A-Max base is at the neck / shoulder junction. It was designed around the idea of the inside case diameter should be 2.1 times the bore diameter and the shoulders should be sort of rounded. I think I got snookered on the shape idea. But is does fire the A-Max fast from a 26" Savage barrel.
DSC00215.jpg

I would personally shorten the neck considerably! A long neck is good (to a point) but excessively long for the bore makes it much more difficult to maintain consistent tension on the bullet, and serves no positive purpose. IMO........Rich

"I would personally shorten the neck considerably! A long neck is good (to a point) but excessively long for the bore makes it much more difficult to maintain consistent tension on the bullet, and serves no positive purpose. IMO........Rich"

You say a long neck is good. What makes it good? Why is longer than you like not good? Do you have some empirical data to support this?

"I would personally shorten the neck considerably! A long neck is good (to a point) but excessively long for the bore makes it much more difficult to maintain consistent tension on the bullet, and serves no positive purpose. IMO........Rich"

You say a long neck is good. What makes it good? Why is longer than you like not good? Do you have some empirical data to support this?

A neck, in my opinion, should be approx 1.1x caliber. (depending on the length of bullet you want to shoot) Too short is not enough support for bullet alignment and limits seating depth somewhat. It also increases throat erosion by directing the flame point too much into the throat. (ex: 6.5x284) Too long after you reach these goals only adds to case length, and more importantly, increases the chance of inconsistent neck tension.....Rich

I personally don't care what the wildcat naming convention is, it's their "own" wildcat and they can call it whatever they want - "personal" choice/preference.

I'm the same way... I have over 90 solid wildcats that I have drawn up. I've deleted WAY more than that over the years, that I felt were inferior in design. Some have simplistic and obvious names, and some have complex names, some have abbreviations, and some have names in other languages. Once I design it, I let it speak for itself as to what I feel it's name should be based on quick mathematical estimates of performance in my head based on design, capacity, and bullet diameter & weight.

DSC00215.jpg

I don't have a problem with any name unless I am asked to work on it and the person that bought it did not know what it was.(Believe it or not it happens all the time) and before any gun smithing work or ammo is loaded it MUST be identified.

There are three types of names for wildcats, and each play an important part in describing the cartridge to a gun smith or the re loader.

The first would be based on the parent case normally cartridge and changes (Like30/06 AI).

Next would be the caliber and a description of the changes (30/06 Short throat, Tight neck or cartridge length)

Then the pure wildcat that most everything has been changed like your .224 BMOC. That tells a smith that it is a Wildcat .224 because there isn't any description of the parent case or the changes
and it is not like any other cartridge.

It is not my place to question anyone's choice of names. I was just trying to make a suggestion that If a wildcatter wanted to give his creation a name, to think about it . Its like naming a child, once it is done, it sticks. Typically, A good name tells others Its potential use, its power and usability.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I'm the same way... I have over 90 solid wildcats that I have drawn up. I've deleted WAY more than that over the years, that I felt were inferior in design. Some have simplistic and obvious names, and some have complex names, some have abbreviations, and some have names in other languages. Once I design it, I let it speak for itself as to what I feel it's name should be based on quick mathematical estimates of performance in my head based on design, capacity, and bullet diameter & weight.

Naming my wildcat on my last build was the last thing on my mind. I kept the name assigned by Dave Manson when I queried him about the custom reamer for it.

The .224 MBOC was named for what it is. A .224 Magnum Belted Of Course. Belts are neither here nor there to me. Some of my wildcats have them and some don't.

According to Lenny who used to be at Hornady ran extensive tests on neck length. In one test he necked down a .243 and a 6mm Rimington and fired them both until the 6mm was no longer accurate for 1,000 yard competition. The 6mm lasted approximately three times longer than the .243. That's why the longer than normally accepted neck length on my wildcat.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.