Idiot Needs Help

338 dude, thank you for the vote of confidence that I am not an idiot. However you might change your tune after I confess what was going wrong. I was improperly setting my bullet seating die and crushing the shoulder on the case. I realized when I switched to my 300WM in Norma brass, and the shoulder deformation was very pronounced. I switched back to my 7RM dies and loaded a round (with the seater die correctly set up) at 0.010" off the lands as measured with the OAL gauge, and sure enough it chambers and ejects no resistance.

Thank you for the help everybody, that was fairly embarrassing! Should I delete this thread, or might it be helpful for other first-time reloaders?
Been there - done that. Mine was on 5.56 rounds. I rotated the turret the wrong direction. Don't delete the post matthaias, we can all learn from mistakes.

I would not mess with your chamber just yet I have had problems that sound a lot like yours where they modified case does not very closely resemble my chamber therefore when you use your own cases your bolt does not close you know if it's your bullet or the case take a black sharpie color your bullet put it in action and try to close the bolt remove the bullet and look for marks on the bullet if you have a 5R barrel you'll seeFive distinct marks where it remove the black from the bullet if it is not touching the bullet it is definitely the brass I do not use the Hornady modified case anymore I would have one made from a fired piece of brass from my chamber or just use the colored bullet Mark method load the boat Long chamber confirm Marks then seat the bullet .001 deeper color it again chamber it look for Marks keep doing this until you do not have marks that +.001 is your touch measurement
I use machinist's dye rather than a Sharpie. I have red, blue dye and Sharpies in house.
I use the dye when I am checking new bullets and setting my set back to a safe distance. I use the tools to get close, but as my wife says, I am anal always go overboard.

1603484868724.png

This video might explain your problem-- the difference in headspace between the Hornady modified case and your sized brass: .

338 dude, thank you for the vote of confidence that I am not an idiot. However you might change your tune after I confess what was going wrong. I was improperly setting my bullet seating die and crushing the shoulder on the case. I realized when I switched to my 300WM in Norma brass, and the shoulder deformation was very pronounced. I switched back to my 7RM dies and loaded a round (with the seater die correctly set up) at 0.010" off the lands as measured with the OAL gauge, and sure enough it chambers and ejects no resistance.

Thank you for the help everybody, that was fairly embarrassing! Should I delete this thread, or might it be helpful for other first-time reloaders?
Leave it. Some one else could be doing the same thing. I'm at about 50/50% posting about my accomplishments and
The most important ones are my screw ups. You will never know success until you know failure. Hey, isn't the name of the game on this forum " Helping each other along." The best thing about it is,, Your not the only one here that has done that. LOL

You can learn a lot from things that don't go right .its been a long time ago but I put powder in a bunch of 357 and when I picked up the first one to seat a bullet in it powder was in the tray (no primers) but I check that now repeatedly.last night I had a tray full of 45 all upside down so I could see the primers. That titegroup is real fine

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.