virgin reloader. needs help

Freedom2live

I heard about increasing accurately one rifle by having the bullet touch the lands. So I took my 1978 .243 ruger m77 tang safety bolt rifle. Took a empty case and put a bullet in racked the bolt 20s something times individually and have a c.o.l of 2.719 everytime... My concern is hodgon book say max col 2.650 . ? Why is that ??? Am I taking a dangerous measurements.. Can I really have the bullet touch without problems ?? Please respond accordingly

If it fits in your magazine then it's fine and you are lucky that you can reach the lands and have it fit. The max col listed is for saami spec to fit in any standard magazine. Start with a minimum charge and work up when starting with the bullet into the lands as it can spike pressure higher. You need a hornady lock n load bullet comparator. The bullet lenght will vary so you need to be measuring the cartridge length from the ogive. A set from Midsouth shooters supply is $26.11 for a set of the 6 most common calibers. The way you found the lenght to the lands is the old fashioned way and it works fine but there are several gauges made to measure it.

It is imortant to measure off the ogive when seating into the lands because if the loaded bullet is a little shorter than the bullet used to measure with you can end up with a bullet stuck in the lands when you unload it. Not a huge problem at the range with a cleaning rod handy to knock it out with but if you are in the field hunting it can ruin your day. Also , the varying lenght to ogive will increase the SD and ES and decrease your accuracy. For a bunch of really good reasons you need to be measuring to the ogive and not the COL.

Gotta say Dave I feel a lot better after your reply, thanks. But what is sd and es...? I order two reloading books they should arrive Wednesday so I have no data or indexes physically with me.. Sorry for asking

Just work up a load that shoots well in your rifle and then learn to repeat that load as precisely as you can and things like es and sd will be minimised. Don't spend much time worrying about velosity just concentrate on accuracy. Being able to place the bullet where you want will kill every time and all the velosity possible will not kill the animal you missed.

Thanks, also I would like not to have the bullet protruded into the case. I think its a bad idea having powder not being burn evenly or completely and possibility of cooking the bullet upon explosion .I am thinking in order to achieve this I might have buy a lower weight bullet and try to seat it without protruding into the case.. As am writings this message it looks like I can achieve this seating but might lose the opportunity fir bullet to touch the land

Not all bullets will shoot well when they are touching the lands. Load some at book lenght and find which load shoots the best. Then take that load and seat some at a couple longer lenghts, varying about .005, with the longest still fitting your magazine and you will find a load and seating depth that will work. I load 5 at each depth. Sometime you can adjust your charge a little after you find a seating depth and still improve a little more.
I may be wrong with this aproach but it works for me.

Interesting red hunter.. I was planning on cooking some loads with difference bullet lengths. Since I been reading up on reloading from forums like this one.. Which I find exceptionally informing .in my order of 698.28 I bought berger hunter 105 vld plus there cook book.. Any comments on bergers. And powder recommendations ??? . I was thinking winchester 780 supreme

I am not shooting the Bergers so commenting on them would be foolish on my part. There is a sticky on them and a search of this forum will give you some good advice on loading and seating depths for ease of load development for your rifle.

I'm not a fan of Winchester ball powder myself. I've had temp sensitivity issues with them , w760 specifically. I had a tang safety ruger in 6mm rem that loved imr 4831 behind 107 gr mk's. I would look at some h4831sc , rl 19 maybe. With that heavy a bullet you might get good performance out of rl22.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts