Identifying loads during load development

I put them in ziploc sandwich bags. write on each bag with a sharpie. Write results on bag and return hulls to proper bags.
This is very similar to what I do. I don't allow any one to mess with My reloading things. My son (10 year old) some times helps but knows to only do as he is told. Every one in my home knows and respects my stuff and knows the importance of the safety with reloading.

I generally just used the little mcm load tags that come with the boxes. I'd heard of using sharpie on the bullets but never have. I will be trying this for sure. One question though would the sharpie not get on the inside of your barrel and be something else to scrub out? Maybe a silly question.

I mark from the ogive to the tip mostly so it's shouldnt be in the barrel much, it works well for ladder test or other forms of testing at distance . I'm sure barrel solvent with wipe out sharpie but I have not tested that .... sharpie does do strange things when it's exsposed to different chemicals/conditions but I don't think it's a issue but that's a very interesting point .

I've read that a lot of people use that method to mark different loads and always kinda wondered that. Gonna give it a try

Need to get an assortment of colored sharpies, marking primers with different colors seems to be the easiest to track and eliminates the confusion if they get dumped and randomized. Also i should track how many firings each case has had but need to not clean off the marks or use a different method. I have been marking primers but usually with combinations of dots and/or dashes, plus a legend to ID what they mean. Maybe color bullet tips the same as primers to match up the targets too.

First off, I'm OCD... and I'm an engineer... so data is king and I'm "anal" about it. That said, I've read a lot about reloading logs as well as shooting logs. Based on everything I've read (including in this thread), here is what I'm thinking about doing. I am going to keep two logs (as well as carry a logbook to the range). The first book (an Excel spreadsheet) is a load logbook. The second is a shooting logbook (also Excel but might just be another tab in the same spreadsheet... so one file instead of two).

The LOADS book will capture the following data points:

Load Number (the most important data point... in the software world, this would be what we call a "primary key"): Starts at 1 and goes up.
Date: This is the date the ammo was loaded OR purchased
Source: Hand Load OR Purchase
Caliber: Self-explanatory
Brass: Who manufactured the brass
Powder Manuf.: Who manufactured the powder. Example: Winchester
Powder: The "model" of the powder. Example: StaBALL 6.5
Powder Amount: How much was loaded into the casing. Example: 40 grains
Bullet Manuf.: Who manufactured the bullet. Example: Hornady
Bullet: The "model" of the bullet. Example: ELD Match
Bullet Weight: Example 140 grain
Primer Manuf.: Who manufactured the primer. Example: CCI
Primer: The "model" of the primer. Example: #400 SRP
Quantity: How many casings did you load to this specification?
Shooting Log #: The ID of the shooting log entry. I'm thinking of removing this and putting the Load Number into the shooting logbook instead to reference back to the load logbook. Not sure on this one.

If I do this, then the only thing I need to Sharpie onto the casing is the load number. If there is any question at all, I only have to refer to a single number and I don't have to come up with a huge, complicated ID system to write on the ammo.

Are there any other qualities/properties of a load that are important that I am missing from the list above? Please let me know so I can start out without going a year without making mistakes.

Oh, also note that this logbook will work for off-the-shelf ammo as well. Here is a possible example:

2022-03-17_18-43-28.jpg

- Wil

Food for thought for your project. I print and file these in a folder for ALL amo I reload, Feel free to use or ignore.
Reloading Checklist Date: ___________

Firearm___________________________________________________________ Cal_________

Load Data Source________________________________________ Cases _____ ______ _______
# Start Fired # Reload #
Case Mfr___________________________________________ Lot #___________________________

Max Mfr Case OL ___________ Case Trim-to-Length ___________ Mfr Cartridge OAL ___________

Powder Mfr________________________________ Lot #__________________ Powder Wt_______

Bullet________________________________ Lot #___________________ Seating Depth___________

• Primer Mfr_____________________ Primer Size________________ Lot #_____________________

• Reloading Sequence
1. Case: New Fired New-to-me Once Fired Swaged Uniform Primer Pocket Debur Flash Hole

2. Case: Deprime Clean (Tumble) Inspect Weigh Ave Wt:_________________

3. Case: Headspace (Prec Mic) ______________ Run out (Case Master) ____________

4. Neck Thickness __________ Turn Expand Neck - Mandrel _____ Turn-to Thickness___________

5. Lubricate Case Pistol Case: Flare

6. Resize: Full Length Neck Diameter ____ Bushing Size____ Shoulder Bump_____

7. Case Length ______ Trim Case Trim-to Length______ Debur Chamfer

8. Clean (ultrasonic) Dry Check/Clean Primer Pocket Anneal:

• Prime: Clean Neck Dry Neck Lube

• Powder Load ______________ gr
11. Bullet: Seat Depth ___________ Jump: ___________ COAL ____________ Crimp

12. Check: Gauge Ammo Checker

13. Check Run out: __________ Concentricity ____________ Adjust if needed

14. Final No. Rounds Loaded ________ Rejects/Culls _____________

Notes:

Version: Dec 8, 2020

Last edited:
It's pretty hard to run analytics on a bunch of zip lock bags. LOL 🤪
You will understand the value when developing loads. Too easy to mix them up in a compartments box. Writing on the cases lasts all too well and is a bad idea when loaded differently. Bag method is cheap, easy, and works well.

You will understand the value when developing loads. Too easy to mix them up in a compartments box. Writing on the cases lasts all too well and is a bad idea when loaded differently. Bag method is cheap, easy, and works well.
I don't see how that can be possible. Each round has a number on it so it does not matter if the brass gets mixed up. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying.

When developing loads you will load 1 to three of each one depending on where you are in the development. You will load both a range of powder charges then lengthens to find your load for that bullet in a particular rifle. I only record the finished load that I will duplicate again in the future in a log book. No need to keep data on what doesn't work. I keep them separated in bags for the trip to the range. Finished loads are kept in boxes of 50 and labeled.