Identifying loads during load development

Philward

How do you mark or identify different loads during load development? Separate boxes, mark the cases or bullets, color coding? Wondering what others are doing and how you keep them from possibly getting mixed up if an accident happens and they spill or someone starts taking them out and looking at them only to maybe put them back incorrectly. Powder, powder charge, primer, seating depth, etc.

I use these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0NQYG/?tag=lrhmag19-20 and have different colors/sizes to differentiate. I'll then mark my target and notebook with the location of a particular load (bottom row #1, #2, top row #1, #2, etc) along with the powder, primer, case, seating depth, ES, SD, etc.
Works well for me but you need to make darn sure the lid is closed when picking it up if you have several different loads you're testing! Only had one "whoopsie" in several years (knock on wood)....

My load sheet is setup for multiple colors I use to mark the primers with a Sharpie. I start off with plain primer, black dot, green dot, blue dot and red dot. Each group is usually 4-5 per load. Still can see primer issues etc but clear as can be to identify which load is what. "HS" stands for headspace measured with Stoney Point gauges.

Edited: added more detail:
One of the biggest issue is to manage how many times the brass has been reloaded. I work off of 20 round lots and then count the number of reloads on the specific lot. The sheet shows a lot number and reload number. That tells me the specific 20 rounds I have been loading and how many times they have been reloaded. I then label (Avery Labels in printer) the plastic ammo box with the same info so I know exactly what lot and reload is in the box that correlates to the detailed load data sheet. The color columns gives me space to record how many loads for each color and I can record the velocity under each one of the color coded rounds. I can also total up exactly the number of rounds through a specific rifle easily from the lot number and load number.

Attachments

• LRH.Reloading Data Sheet.pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 208
  • LRH.Generic.Reloading.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
In the past, I used a thin line black sharpie and Roman numerals on the side of the case I II III IV etc, but then went to a single different colored line. Then these rounds were placed in separate rows in a flip top box. No one is allowed to touch my test loads, so I don't have the worry of someone taking out placing in a wrong row.

How do you mark or identify different loads during load development? Separate boxes, mark the cases or bullets, color coding? Wondering what others are doing and how you keep them from possibly getting mixed up if an accident happens and they spill or someone starts taking them out and looking at them only to maybe put them back incorrectly. Powder, powder charge, primer, seating depth, etc.
I write the powder type and charge weight on each shell with permanent marker.
If I'm testing different bullet weights as well, rare for me, I write that on as well.
Another thing I do is to draw an index line across the case head, using different colours to denote new, once fired, twice fired and so on. I use green to denote that that case has been annealedmy system goes;
Black=New
Blue=once fired
Red=twice fired
Pink=thrice fired
Purple=fourth firing
Green=fifth firing and annealed.
Then it gets 2 stripes and starts again.
After the 2 stripes, they get put in the bag that I no longer take note of firings, just use until necks split or other failure takes place.
My comp brass is handled differently as it gets annealed every sizing and stays with that barrel.

Cheers.

write the loads on a biz or 3x5 card,
put the loads in rows of a 50 rd box..aint hard.
long range guys COLOR the bullet, the ink will mark paper, or be brought out with a bit of alcohol. std sharpie colored markers. not so good on black

I just write down the charge weight and/or seating depth with a marker on case. At the range, any case, that shows 15 fps +/- of my standard deviation, gets an X mark and is removed from that lot of brass.

I use color markers to identify other variances in loads, i.e. base to datum, seating depth, primer pockets that are loosening and rounds that have obvious seating pressure variance. I like to keep track of everything that effects POI.

Good info, some of these are things I've done. Trying to figure out if there is another way to do it better. Wasn't to sure about marking primers or cases, if something bad may come from it. Coloring bullets is interesting. I'm assuming all writing on case is gone after processing cases? Appreciate the responses.

I run 4 ought steel wool on necks after depriming, so I clean off the marks at the same time, comes off pretty easy.

Good info, some of these are things I've done. Trying to figure out if there is another way to do it better. Wasn't to sure about marking primers or cases, if something bad may come from it. Coloring bullets is interesting. I'm assuming all writing on case is gone after processing cases? Appreciate the responses.
A lot of guys color code bullets for ladder tests. Works well on white paper too far to see bullet holes. Use colored sharpie.

I use Sharpie as well. I usually just fo the first loaded round in a row. I recently started writing the CBTO length on there as well. I started doubting myself because of different lands measurements form throat erosion. Is this " 30 off" from the original measurement, or the one from two weeks ago?