Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

I would not do any calling until you know what the wolves are up to. The wolves are already climbing to the highest point before you wake up in the morning. Staying out in the woods until dark is a must, and the best time to call. You all should know this web site is monitored by radical enviromentalists from Ketchum and Hailey Idaho.

14 woofs would be an eerie sight for sure! I'm gonna be hunting solo, so I figure I will call in the AM then spot and stalk in the PM. Any thoughts from the experienced woof hunters? I'm not really keen on callin in the PM and hiking out in the dark. Too many horror stories.
Chris
Going to a new area, especially solo, is gonna be tough. It usually requires a ton of time tracking, learning the territory of a pack, etc. Seems like hunting methods vary quite a bit for area to area. I'd call all the sporting goods stores and Fish n' Game Dept near where you plan to hunt and pick their brains, study topo maps, and ask here and maybe Predatormasters.com about the exact area you're planning to hunt. If yer' willin to hunt em, we're willin to help!

I would not do any calling until you know what the wolves are up to. The wolves are already climbing to the highest point before you wake up in the morning. Staying out in the woods until dark is a must, and the best time to call. You all should know this web site is monitored by radical enviromentalists from Ketchum and Hailey Idaho.
The nice thing about environmentalists is that they're almost never out in the environment:D. But that is something we should all keep in mind when posting.

I don't know your area so I couldn't say. If you are going far enough back in then bivying out would work. I've never understood the walking to camp in the dark . All that wandering around just stinks up an area. Wolves live by their noses.

If you where going to have a dedicated wolf hunting rifle what would it be?

I have an AR 15 in 223 but want something bigger so I was looking into AR 10's and came across WSSM in AR 15 platforms, like the weight savings idea of the AR 15

Just wondering what you guys would use and would love to hear any experience with the WSSM

Unless you can think of anything better!! Im all ears!!!

...... and we all know the ideal wolf gun would be a Dillon mounted in a helicopter buts let's keep it realistic ;).....

BOO, BOO, BOO!!!! lightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulb

Please get the WSSMs out of your system it will be a big mistake. Every rifle made by the manufactures like Winchester & Browning chrome plate the inside of the barrels so they don't burn out by 500 rounds. ( if you don't believe me call them and ask like I did) Then even with the chrome plating you will lose accuracy by 1,500 rounds. Lots of negatives with these calibers. I have a Winchester Coyote .243 WSSM with a factory S/S varmint barrel. I did everything I could to get it to shoot more accurate. I glass bedded & pillar bedded the laminated wood stock and got it to shoot consistently 5/8" five shot groups with my best reloads. The 55 gr bullets shot the best. The factory 55 gr. ammo shot exactly the same. OH, you also have to bump the shoulders back (very critical to do with them) or they are very hard to close the bolt with your reloads. Not only that they are very hard to find ammo in stores at any price and before the "RUSH" they were at least $40.00 a box of 20. AND if you find a used one the barrel most likely will be burned out. You could get an after market S/S match barrel and if it is not chromed it will burn out in 500 rounds also. This is all IMHO.

I don't know why the .223 isn't one of the best one to have for wolves. If you go bigger you may destroy a beautiful pelt. If I am wrong please chime in.

joseph

PS The rest of my post is #12 : http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/6mm-f-class-caliber-104959/index2.html

Lots and lots of wolves have been and currently killed with the 17 Rem, 222 , 223. And 22-250 . . For a 70-80 lb wolf they kill them but sometimes the don't. . The 6 mm s and 25 s work well. . Some wolves get twice that big. A friend of mine shot a 140 poinsettias that was more than 7' from his nose to the root of his tail. In Bat Bay, Revilla Is.
Shot was from around 100 yards. Shooting his 06 with 180 gr Silvertips. Good shoulder shot. Knocked the wolf down and it couldn't get up. It laid on the beach breaking rocks with its teeth while it expired.
I know a guy here in the Copper Basin that lost a wolf that he shot and hit with his 300 Whby. Its skeleton was found close to where he shot it 2 years later by his son. . I've seen a wold run 400 yards after being double lunged from about 350-400 yrds with a 168 gr Sierra from an 06 .
The 6 PPC has been used very efficiently on wolves shooting the 80 gr Hornady fmj bullet with a m.v. of 2800 fps but it often takes 2 shots to hold them down. .

My self, I think an accurized H+K 91 in 6.5 Cm or 260 Rem. With a fluted chamber and PSG1 trigger group would be close to the ultimate wolf rifle. At least for the extreme conditions of winter time snogo hunting in Ak and Northern Canada ..4-16x illuminated holdover reticule scope.

Lots and lots of wolves have been and currently killed with the 17 Rem, 222 , 223. And 22-250 . . For a 70-80 lb wolf they kill them but sometimes the don't. . The 6 mm s and 25 s work well. . Some wolves get twice that big. A friend of mine shot a 140 poinsettias that was more than 7' from his nose to the root of his tail. In Bat Bay, Revilla Is.
Shot was from around 100 yards. Shooting his 06 with 180 gr Silvertips. Good shoulder shot. Knocked the wolf down and it couldn't get up. It laid on the beach breaking rocks with its teeth while it expired.
I know a guy here in the Copper Basin that lost a wolf that he shot and hit with his 300 Whby. Its skeleton was found close to where he shot it 2 years later by his son. . I've seen a wold run 400 yards after being double lunged from about 350-400 yrds with a 168 gr Sierra from an 06 .
The 6 PPC has been used very efficiently on wolves shooting the 80 gr Hornady fmj bullet with a m.v. of 2800 fps but it often takes 2 shots to hold them down. .

My self, I think an accurized H+K 91 in 6.5 Cm or 260 Rem. With a fluted chamber and PSG1 trigger group would be close to the ultimate wolf rifle. At least for the extreme conditions of winter time snogo hunting in Ak and Northern Canada ..4-16x illuminated holdover reticule scope.

We just killed one with a 6.5 cm I shoot a 243 or 25-06 for primary wolf rifle with long bullets. And the same guy that killed one with the creed old has killed 3 with 22-250 small will work I do know too well. But this is a long range hunting forum and a thread Titled ideal Wolf hunting rifle So I would recommend that a 223 Would not be My ideal choice although I own one and love it very much.

My 223 is awesome. And Im pretty sure that out to 300 yards the 53 gr TSX that I shoot in it would work great but , if I had my druthers I would have a 7" twist so I could shoot the 70 gr TSX. And the 75 gr Sirrocco . An 8" twist 22-250 would be great also. But at 45 MPH it doesn't take very long for a pack of wolves that are at 200-300 yards when the shooting starts to get to 600-800 yards away . So the 243 , 25-06 and the 6.5 s all with pretty tough mid to heavy bullets is what I like.

Learning a guys rifle, scope, load which includes drop, drift and tof. .are really the most important. . .
New rifles are great but I would rather KNOW my rifle than have some high dollar ultra precision super wizard bang that I don't know. And that may not take the guff of bush Alaska.

The 223 works very well in the timber, where shots are 10 to 200yds max. But I wouldn't call it "ideal". Lately, I've been using an old short tube Remmy 788 in 6mm shooting 85gr pills. I used to use a 6.8SPC, the AR15 platform is ideal, but it wasn't much good at longer stuff. I'm with Rooster and COLD T F on the 6.5, 25.06, 243etc. They're closer to what you'd call "ideal", in that, they do the same job as the 223 for closer stuff while still having enough horsepower to drop em at distance.

I think that a 243 Win, with a 95 grain SMK will do the trick also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 122
I have a 257 Wby that I like.Where I live they have one of those semi auto Nemo arms in 300 win.I would love to test that out on a pack.They are making stuff for the military.A guy at Defiance showed me there ar style upper and lower.I was hoping to blast one w/my 338 norma and well ventilate him.

A friend on Prince of Wales Island got 3 out of a pack of 5 with his 257 Whby Mk V one time first one was standing 2+3 were on the run. It's speed made holding the lead a lot easier for him..

Rooster, that's Awesome.