Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

Thanks,cold trigger finger for the input! Computer problems cause the levelwind to backlash(my mind)! My old tang safety M77 does alright with some of the long 30 cal stuff with a short jump! The 208gr amax w/ a .005 jump has room to spare in the box,as I recall.I'm looking at FMJ in 25 cal for the 25-06.If your freind does well w/ the 6ppc and you like the creedmoor,then playing in between seems like a good spot!These Nicon bdc scopes haven't the operator control these old eyes need for beyond 350yds.I'm shooting a TC encore 28" in 25-06.It's a shooter and my 640yd target goes bong alot(14"X 14" steel plate)!!!

Thanks,Benchracer!!I bought an A bolt medalian to build a 6.5-284 and changed my mind due the same thing!The thing that came as a suprise was that the the old tang safety M77 has a box that is 3.375",has an adjustable trigger and I have rebarreled it myself and will do it again.Gunsmiths don't like the recoil lug,so,they don't do much w/them!I have good tools and headspace is easy!I don't do machine work and have to rely on the local smith for first fit but can switch barrel that gun in 15 min.Rezero at 100yds right across the draw from the shop and she's ready to play!!!Sooo,brass for 6.5-284 is harder as I already have 30-06 and 25-06,that mag will run the stuff I'd be puttin' through it,and the trigger is set at about 2.5 lbs zero creep and it cost me $300!The 6.5-284 is a well known shooter and the fun of it all is ,I can do one of each!!

I've looked everywhere I can think to look but am unable to find any fmj bullets for the 25/06 . . But it sounds like you have a good setup. If I find a good deal on a m77 MKII VT in 25/06 I'll most likley get it and plan on shooting TSX or GMX bullets thru it.
But I really like my Creed so I'm not in any hurry ..

You can buy a dpms chambered in 260, I'm leaning in that direction. Seems like that would fit the bill.

Exactly what I was thinking. The original post was for a gas gun and this fits the bill. Available in .260 or 6.5 Creedmore, although I'd lean towards the .260 witht he availability of Lapua brass.

LR-65

Exactly what I was thinking. The original post was for a gas gun and this fits the bill. Available in .260 or 6.5 Creedmore, although I'd lean towards the .260 witht he availability of Lapua brass.

LR-65

I have a DPMS in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm very happy with it. I was looking for it or a DPMS .260 and I found the Creedmoor in a shop I was in one day so that ended my search. At the time ordering either one was a very long wait.
These are very close to the same and will be a great choice if you want a AR platform. I'm shooting around 3" some times more or just a little less at 500yds for 3 shots on a good day with 140gr A-max's.
The only things negative I would say is it chews up and dents some of the brass, and the factory trigger is horrible. I changed mine for a match trigger, for hunting you may be able to get by with the factory trigger. Mine is the heavy fluted 24" barrel and weighs over 11lbs empty, no scope or bi pod. I did not care about the weight of the rifle for I wanted it to shoot matches at 300 to 500yds off a bi pod and prefer the heavy and long barrel.
I will say this on the good side for the DPMS in either caliber, you should have no trouble hitting a standing wolf every shot at 500yds and no trouble killing them at 500yds with either of the calbers. Another thing is you will be able to get more shots off quickly if needed providing your nerve's stay with yougun):D
I'm not a person to just pull the trigger as fast as I can ever to just be shooting because I want every shot to be my best, So for me I do not shoot more ammo because of it being a semi auto. But with that said, I'll say this you can get back on target ( or wolf ) very quickly with either of these calibers.
Either of these are excellent hunting rounds for other game, so do not limit yourself..:)

I wish you the best with what ever you get.

I think this is my next buy, just want to make sure i get the best barrel, these can be accurate with the right components. I'm thinking about a 22" barrel.

Reach out and touch

I think any of my current or in the works 13# LR Platforms for the set up and ambush approach, That will shoot a high bc bullet at high velocity a looooonnng way, to include 25-06, 6.5 WSM and 300 RUM.

For the spot and stalk approach in rugged terrain, a carryable LR platform with a balance of weight and reliability. Been thinking about this for a while actually...

A high power 6.5 cartridge like a 6.5 WSM that can push a 130 gr, .56 BC bullet to 3400 fps plus. A quality light stock and 26" light varmint contour to come in under 10# with bi-pod and loaded. Such a rilfe would be 1800 fps plus @ 1200 yds, @ 5000' elevation, and since opening velocity is not critical for hunting there varmints, one could reach out much farther.

It would also make a nice rifle for any other Montana critter in a combo or opportunity hunting.

I like it.

3400 fps is really moving along. No doubt it will kill them, but it's nice to have the hide reativly intact. . I know a guy here who lost a wolf he shot with his 300 Whby. And I've seen wolves run 400 yards or so after being hit with the 165 or 168 gr Seirra at 400 yrds or so from an 06 . . It left a 2+" exit hole. . But still and all the 243 is pretty much the wolf cal up here. . Plenty of guys made a lot of money killing wolves with it.

The more I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor the better I like it.

I understand your view of the value of the hide, but down here, most of us are not concerned about getting cash back for the pelt. We just want them dead. If I get one, the first pelt will hang my wall or be a comforter on my bed. The next one I'll probalby have something made like a coat or gators so I can wear them around the MSU campus here and freak out the tree and wolf huggers.

I'll being using CE monometals, so hopefully damage is minimum but not a big concern. For me, velocity means range and flexibility.

Good shooting,

Mark

Ya, I definatly see your point. And I have shot at wolves with my 416 Rem mag. . I was off on my range estimation so was about 24" low. Ghost ring rear sight at 400 yards is kinda pushing it.
I was bear hunting at the time tho. A scope and range finder would have made all the difference tho. And I would have had a 2" exit hole Max.

Those C E bullets look nice. Do they expand much?

I have not used them yet for hunting, but the reports I have read is that they tend to shred into shrapnel. Some pieces may exit and some not. I suppose a high velocity hit at close range might make a mess. in which case I might opt for a head shot.

Here's a thread on terminal performance...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/updated-10-29-terminal-performance-6-5mm-130gr-ceb-99656/

If I was pelt hunting, I would probably use something like 6-284 (for velocoity and range) pushing E-Tips or TTsx's. i don't think they would make a big exit and close shots might be head shots If I had the time.

Happy New Year! I'm outa here!