Wolf hunting advise

Stavi300RUM

Going wolf hunting while I'm on Christmas break from school. I live in the Idaho Falls area and was thinking of going up Medicine Lodge area. Seen them and heard them up there...along with the desert and Birch creek.
Can anyone point out a good area to go and what's working for you?
Thanks all!

North of Kilgore west of Island Park and East of I-15

Where the elk winter in the area of the Donkeys. Up from Howe.

They would follow the elk from Saw Mill Canyon to where ever they winter, I suppose.

Me thinks you'll have to cover a lot of ground regardless of where you go.

Good luck

North of Kilgore west of Island Park and East of I-15

Where the elk winter in the area of the Donkeys. Up from Howe.

They would follow the elk from Saw Mill Canyon to where ever they winter, I suppose.

Me thinks you'll have to cover a lot of ground regardless of where you go.

Good luck

Those areas should hold quite a few. I never thought about Saw mill canyon, but it would make sense!
Thank you for the information!

Those areas should hold quite a few. I never thought about Saw mill canyon, but it would make sense!
Thank you for the information!

I've personally seen them in Saw Mill during archery season.

Also on the other side toward Leadore the folks hunting for that lost child this summer saw woofs on a regular basis. The word was there are two packs in that area. One pack of 5 and one pack of 15. At least that's the scuttlebutt.

Hey Stavi, I see you are in Lewisville. I live about 8 miles from you near Ucon.
Anyway I have been coyote hunting with poor results in the Medicine Lodge area & have not cut a single wolf track. Probably best to find elk & then look for wolf sign. I hike around 120 miles a year bear hunting by the spot & stalk method. I hunt from Kilgore to Driggs & the last 2 years wolf sign is scarce.
Good luck, Thanks Kirk

Hey Stavi, I see you are in Lewisville. I live about 8 miles from you near Ucon.
Anyway I have been coyote hunting with poor results in the Medicine Lodge area & have not cut a single wolf track. Probably best to find elk & then look for wolf sign. I hike around 120 miles a year bear hunting by the spot & stalk method. I hunt from Kilgore to Driggs & the last 2 years wolf sign is scarce.
Good luck, Thanks Kirk

Thanks for the input. Are you familiar with the Saw Mill canyon area that Roy pointed out? I think that area could be promising!

I know where it is but never have hunted there. My stepson killed a pile of deer & elk out there before he moved to Alaska.
Let us know how you do!
Thanks, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.