IDAHO STATE SNIPER CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Just thought I would drop a line about the forum members that shot at the Idaho State Sniper Championships. 52, 2 man teams shot the event from mostly the northwest and Canada. My partner Carl Carbon and I won the event overall using a pair of 260 Remingtons I built. The 260 was a serious advantage over the guys with 308 Win's. ( most were 308 shooters ). The idahowoodsbummer and his partner got 3rd overall giving the Idaho / LRH guys a good showing.
EMIDSC.JPG

It was at the Black's Creek range. It was a fun match. There was a good section of tactical shooters from law enforcement and military. It was a shoot your field gear no rear bag or suport kind of operation. Lots of custom LR guns, but mostly factory PSS'S etc.

Shawn,
Good shooting…….
Is this shoot limited to Leo/military only? I would like to get into tactical competition, and have been looking for some kind of event schedule. Who would I need to contact to find out about events in the northwest?

Glen

The 260 was a serious advantage over the guys with 308 Win's

Why was that Shawn?

Shawn:

What load are you shooting and at what OAL? 123's shoot great in mine but I can't mag feed them. I assume the mag has to function in these types of competitions.

d-a & 260 Shooter,

The BC advantage of the 140 gr match bullet going 200 fps faster than the 308 works out to "almost" half the wind drift and alot flatter shooting round. The wind was tough velocity and direction shifts at the shooter were easy to guage but the mid range 200-500 wind was across a draw that was 200 feet or so below the path of the bullet this made minor changes in wind tough to see. Our 500 meter target was a siloutte with a score area of 8" x 8", 20 rounds under time. Some wind changes would come up and push a round toward the edge of the scoring area and we would correct back to center without losing points. The guys with 308's would lose a score everytime a shift like that occured from the rounds extra wind drift.
I shoot 140 gr amax bullets at 2.850" out of HS box mag setups with H4350, I get 2820 fps and smokin accuracy. I cut the chamber so I could load -.010" off and still fit the box mag, when I built the rifles. Most of the stages you could single load, but running a mag will allow you to focus on shooting the stage more and worry less about manipulating the rifle. I know several top sniper / man op rifle match shooters switching to the 260 for the ballistic advantage. I have been shooting a 260 for those matches for 3 years and could not be happier.

Shawn , do you see any advantage wiht using a 260Ai or a 6.5-284 over the standard 260? I was thinking about having a new 308 built but have also been playing around with the idea of the 6.5-284. I was planning to have an extended max box installed either way , was just wondering on what advantages the larger cases would give over the standard 260?
What length barrel do you use and what sort of velocities

i emailed you shawn...btm_fox at yahoo.com..
just had a couple questions and wanted you to know who you were getting mail from..

Brien

The 260 AI is an advantage in velocity over the 260 STD it was not worth the extra work to me. I choose the 260 because the barrel will last much longer than the 6.5-284, velocity was at an acceptable level, box mag capacity is more than the 6.5-284, and it is easy to work with. I considered it best bang for the effort/buck. This will make some of the detail reloaders cringe, but for action/sniper match ammo I take new brass, prime it, powder it, seat a bullet in it and go to work. The gun shoots well under 1/2 moa at distances past 600 yards with the match ammo. I shot the 3 shot group stage at the match off a bipod and no rear bag under 3/8" @ 100 yds ( and did not win the stage ). The only rifles that I pull out all the stops in terms of reloading details are my 6 br and my 338 EDGE.

Shawn

Hey, I recognize that top photo! Lots of decent shooters at the match. None better than Carlock. My scope went down while at a school the day before the match so I ended up shooting my partners spare Tikka 308 and shared his 300 win for the 400+ shots.

Shawn's 260 is a SWEET machine. I watched him shoot as he was on a different relay. Very little recoil. Shawns head never left the stock as he worked the bolt. With its high BC it was a fine choice for this match. I know a bunch of guys who shoot guns Shawn has built or tuned up. A # of mine have been tuned up by him, both rifles and pistols. Often gunsmiths are not experienced competitors. Shawn excells in both catagories.

IdahoWoodsBummer

Shawn, great job, I have been planning a 260AI. You obviously have alot of experience with the 260 rem. What groove and twist combination have you found to be ideal for the little 6.5? At what barrel length do you find the best advantage of velocity versus comfortable handeling length?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.