Sniper Competition

Ok, color me curious. Why the guys shooting with their guns on their sides? Did they zero them for that? Does the windage act like the vertical then? Very strange looking?

Ok, color me curious. Why the guys shooting with their guns on their sides? Did they zero them for that? Does the windage act like the vertical then? Very strange looking?

No what a lot of the guys do is have a main optic with zoom on top like normal and then they put a small reflex sight on the side like a Dr Optics or something similar for a zero at like 10 ft. That way they can transition from say a 600 yard shot to right in your face and not have to mess with dialing or anything. Just quicker that way. In competition it is anyhow

it throws you off big time, at 100yds, shooting port side up 90degree prone, you are about 3 1/2 inches low and 3 1/2 inches left. Thats how i am at 100yds with my 260 with my USO scope.

Imagine if you have to shoot under a car/object where you can only turn your gun sideways.

Try it sometime, its very humbling.

Yep we did some side prone drills last weekend and my 6.5x47 bolt gun was still pretty dang near poi but my cousins ar printed low left also.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.