competition shooting

kf4znl

I have a Savage 110fp in 300 win mag and ask what is the best ammo and how often do you clean your rifle at a competition?

the best ammo well thats easy. Which ever shoots best in your gun:D I know this most likely dont help you any but thats about as good as answer as you are going to get because every gun is different and what might shoot great in mine may not shoot good for you so if you are going to buy factory stuff then buy a box and see how it shoots if it does not meet your expectations then buy another box of something different. The best would be handloads worked up in your rifle but if you dont handload then you will have to settle for factory stuff.
As far as how often do you clean it well that again is based on your rifle. If you shoot it enough you will know when the accuracy starts to fall off and you will want to clean it before this happens. I have one gun that i can shoot 50 times and still drives tacks but another gun i have to clean every 15-20 shots because after that my groups start opening up. Sorry i know these are not the answers you wanted but it is the best answers.

The best ammo is the load you work up for your specific rifle and practice with.

Cleaning may also be a function of the type of competition and possibly what works best with your individual rifle.

Are you talking about clays, egg shoots, 100-200yd benchrest, F-Class, sniper???

i have a rem sendero. 72.5 grains of re-22 with a 210 berger, lapua brass, WLRM primer. i like to clean around every 20 to 30 rounds. unfortunately at the matches usually there is no time to clean. so i clean at the end.

Try Federal Gold Medal Match. It is good match ammo in 308 caliber.
F-class is somewhere between 50-60 rounds with no cleaning between stations. Always start a match with a clean barrel unless you have proof that your rifle prefers a dirty barrel. Clean is not oily!!!!!! Clean is not dirty and not slimy with goop.

best ammo so far is hand loaded
most accurate loads=
sierra 200 grn mk
68 grains imr 4350
@2925

reminton primier 180 accutip (hornady 180grn amax i beleave)
68 grains imr 4350
@2975

69.5 grains imr 4350
@3100 works well also but at 1000yrds the 68 grn load is a little better

208 hornady amax
73.5 grains imr 7828
@2875 awsome load works well out to 1760

the above works for my gun start low work high. i found another accuracy node at higher volocities (in my gun) but cases only lasted about 5 loads so i toned it down to these

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.