I should be ashamed of myself! (is this typical?)

AJ Peacock

I was getting my rifle/ammo etc. ready for some whitetail hunting next week. I started thinking about how much I've shot my 'go to' rifle over the last 5 years. First a little history.

I've been shooting this rifle since 1977. Its a Rem 700BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. I shot it so much that in the summer of 2000, the accuracy went completely away and I had it re-barrelled (probably had 7-10k rounds through it). While it was being rebarreled, I ordered 100 Norma brass, prepped it, sorted it by weight and was pleased that the center 80 cartridges were within 1gr of each other (total spread was 2.7gr).

I then used some old brass to break in the rifle (50 rounds) and I was ready to work up some loads. Using the A-Max 162, I had a sub 1/2 MOA load running around 2900fps and had another 25 rounds through the rifle.

Over the last 5 years, I've shot the rifle a total of 36 times. That accounts for 7 whitetails and 5 pre-hunt trips to the range to verify zero. I also had 4 trips to the range to re-mount scopes (was sharing a scope between it and my .243 win).

I currently have 61 once fired Norma brass, 30 loaded and 9 new brass. At this rate, I'll never wear out this barrel or the 100 brass.

I almost feel bad that I don't shoot it more, but I'd hate to wear it out.
Besides, I have a safe full of other rifles and pistols that account for 20k-30k rounds downrange/year.

So, should I be ashamed of myself? My 'go to gun' sits quietly in the safe until its needed.

Do you think it feels bad? Or do you think it appreciates that when it is called on, its because I know it will deliver?

BTW: I always dry-fire this rifle, starting about a month before hunting season, so I get re-acquinted with the trigger etc.

AJ

This is the best post I have seen in a while! Hehehe!
She knows that you are faithful! She knows that she gets the job done when she is called on. Think of her as the mother of the safe! She is satisfied seeing all of these other barrels come and go throughout the year. Just think, if you were to go shoot 2000 rounds through her this year and burn her barrel out, she would feel used and unnappreciated. She would feel like "just another girl" and not the special one!

Don't be ashamed!! Like a true and dependable warrior, your rifle KNOWS that it will perform and get the job done without question when it's called upon, no matter how often or how little that is. Unlock it from its cage, and you've unleashed DEATH ITSELF...

Oh, that's good, isn't it? Now we can both go to the shrink :] Seriously though, your rifle is there when you need it - nothing more, nothing less.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.