I need some help

Great advice on here already my favorite is calling them in with mouth calls i have had some exciting encounters for sure, even taking a few with a bow.
My question is have you considered starting a bait station at one of your stand locations? I used to have a butcher close by that I would visit once a week for scraps, if the weather turns cold they seem to love handouts.
Of course I would advise you to check to make sure it's legal where you are at..

Great advice on here already my favorite is calling them in with mouth calls i have had some exciting encounters for sure, even taking a few with a bow.
My question is have you considered starting a bait station at one of your stand locations? I used to have a butcher close by that I would visit once a week for scraps, if the weather turns cold they seem to love handouts.
Of course I would advise you to check to make sure it's legal where you are at..
We can bait them we can shoot them day or night and we can blow them up with dynamite it`s open season 24/7 365 on them down here. I like the idea of baiting them I would love to kill them when they think it`s dinner time

I love to hunt coyotes!! For almost 10 years now, I have hunted almost exclusively at night with thermal. I very rarely use a call any more and have started just ambushing them. If you have that much of your own land, you can figure out patterns and set up to get them as they come by. If you'd like, send me a PM and we can talk more about it.

I have a theory. When the big bang hits, whatever it is, the only things left will be cockroaches and coyotes. I shoot them whenever and wherever I can. I have seen too often the damage they cause to chickens, ducks, turkeys, quail, deer and elk. They are smart, resourceful and unrelenting. Incredibly tough to kill sometimes and will leave if you don't anchor them with good shot placement. I have taken coyotes with everything from my .22lr on up to my 338 Edge. When I hunted quail in growing up in Arizona, I would take them with number seven shot.
I don't like coyotes and consider them over grown rats to be killed on sight in any manner legal.
Calling works but remember that any that come to a call once and live, are now HIGHLY educated and very likely to NEVER come to a call again.

Try and get as close to their den as possible without been busted. You can usually hear the pups howling at night. Then you can get a location on the den. Use your pup distress on your e call. if you have a dog at home that likes to get out and about that will improve your odds make sure your dog has some size to him or her.
Coytes do not like other k9 close to their den.

Guys I have come to develop a deep and abiding hatred of coyotes. They have devastated our deer and other small game here in south Georgia. I have been deer hunting for over 50 years and I have never seen it this bad. I have a Foxpro call and I can shoot them with either my 22-250, 220 Swift or my 243. So far all I have been able to shoot is the random lame brain coyote who stumbles along but I want to get better at it. I have 4 tower stands here on my farm to shoot from. After deer season I want to get after them hard. I also have a 25-06 a 7mm-08 and a 308 if I need to shoot farther but I want to be able to call them up regularly. What advice can you guys give an old man who wants to kill as many coyotes as I can.
Man it's just as bad here in Florida with the coyotes. They're all over the place and can't kill one.

Guys I have come to develop a deep and abiding hatred of coyotes. They have devastated our deer and other small game here in south Georgia. I have been deer hunting for over 50 years and I have never seen it this bad. I have a Foxpro call and I can shoot them with either my 22-250, 220 Swift or my 243. So far all I have been able to shoot is the random lame brain coyote who stumbles along but I want to get better at it. I have 4 tower stands here on my farm to shoot from. After deer season I want to get after them hard. I also have a 25-06 a 7mm-08 and a 308 if I need to shoot farther but I want to be able to call them up regularly. What advice can you guys give an old man who wants to kill as many coyotes as I can.
Thermal over bait piles or even better hounds.

Don't be afraid to try different calls. Have found that coyotes that have been "educated" are hard to call with the same sounds. Canine pups is good one to try

Yes to trapping, and a 'carcass pile'. Decades ago poison was used, killing non-target animals is always a big no-no.

Years ago a trapping relative caught 18 coyotes within 1.5 miles of their semi-rural property in Michigan. He said later they were yipping & howling just about as normal.

The few one kills calling have little effect on the numbers. Also with calling they wise up fast, any that are 'educated' learn to not come in, or come near very slowly & carefully. One can mix up locations & sounds.

It's more an ongoing effort with control. With small game & ground nesting birds the coons, possums, skunks & hawks are a large part of the problem. One farmer I know killed 30+ coons around his buildings a few years ago, they were getting in everything.

The price of fur is such that few trap, just the way it is.

SkipB
Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy Prosperous Ney Year
We live about 3 hours away from you and Jill's sister lives in Savannaha. Hopefully I'll get to feeling better from this past operation and If when we visit Jill's sister, I could come over to your place with some of my equipment and do so sets with you day and night. I have Thermal and NV.
Thanks
Len & Jill

I have a theory. When the big bang hits, whatever it is, the only things left will be cockroaches and coyotes. I shoot them whenever and wherever I can. I have seen too often the damage they cause to chickens, ducks, turkeys, quail, deer and elk. They are smart, resourceful and unrelenting. Incredibly tough to kill sometimes and will leave if you don't anchor them with good shot placement. I have taken coyotes with everything from my .22lr on up to my 338 Edge. When I hunted quail in growing up in Arizona, I would take them with number seven shot.
I don't like coyotes and consider them over grown rats to be killed on sight in any manner legal.
Calling works but remember that any that come to a call once and live, are now HIGHLY educated and very likely to NEVER come to a call again.
I live in Southern AZ and just getting ready to go into hunting coyotes. I was thinking of using my .17 HMR Varmint using either GAMEPOINT, NTX, or the JHP. However,I know my CCI VNT ammo loves my CZ 457 and I'm consistent at 200 yards on a 2.5 in metal target. Last week I picked up on older wired caller and drove out to what I thought would have been a good place. Problem the road was really bad, and the grass was tall. When I found a place that looked promising, there was a canyon between me and the other side and I figured I would need my AR 223 or my 243. since it would have been at least 300 yards. Since 243 ammo is hard to find and about $2.00 per round I back off. My Ruger 223/556 have only shot a few times and not in the past 5 or 6 years.
My CZ .17 HMR knocked Prairie Dogs down out at 235 yards using the V-Max, but seemed to take a long time for them to die as I'm guessing it only punched a hole in them as the flopped around a lot. Maybe that was normal for them as that was the frst time doing that in Colorado.
Where in AZ do you recommend to hunt yotes and any suggestions on ammo?

Last edited:
You can never eradicate coyotes only hope to keep population down. If environment is good, they will survive and prosper. If you keep foot off pedal just a little they are back up again. Couple years ago, 45 were taken in maybe 2 mile radius of my house by a trapper I know. Still have yotes on camera virtually every day. If there is good food and cover, they won't leave.

Recent Posts