In need of some advice

hooked

Hi guys I am new to the site and coyote hunting. I live in ND and the wind can get heavy. I am currently loading 75 gr v-max for my REM 700 sps varmit 1:9 twist 26" barrel. the 75 makes a hole big enough to sink a ship in no time. Looking for a bullet for long shots and that won't blow the dog all over the county. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Based on your data, I assume it is a 243 Win ? Since there is no 22 cal 75gr Vmax bullet ? I also don't know of a 700 SPS in 223 with a 1:9 twist ???

Is the large hole the entry wound ? Usually a Vmax would not exit unless it was a really small dog hit in the lung area. What range are the shots at and what is the usual point of impact ?

You could try one of the thick jacketed match bullets and aim further back for the lung area in the hope of getting small entry and exit wounds.

A few years ago I took a handful of coyotes with 100 grain Speer spitzer boat tails out of a 243 with great results. Dropped them on the spot with nickel to quarter size exits. Shots ranged from 50 o 340 yards. It grouped great for me in a 10" twist. Not as flat as a 75 grain but it's a pretty decent economical option.

If you can afford them and your rifle will shoot them well, try the Barnes 85gr TSX bullet. I am working up a load myself because I have tried the 58gr Vmax as well with no consistent results. I have spent hours reading about the Barnes and have talked to a well known gunsmith with first had experience. I have NO experience myself with this bullet yet. Good luck and I know you dont want to damage fur on those "nice" ND coyotes!

Are you reloading? If so try some nosler B-tips or Sierra Bliztkings. Both have a thicker jacket than the V-max and shouldn't be as frangible. I am using .22 cal but results should be similar. I started with 55gr vmax in my 22-250 and was making a mess out of some coyotes, tried some FMJ's and target style bullets as they were recommended for less pelt damage. Then I ended up getting clean pass throughs with harder to track or sometimes lost coyotes. Then moved to the 55gr Bliztkings and have had better luck with small holes in and liquefied insides and no exit. So far so good, coyotes dead fast and hardly ever any pelt damage.

Of course where you hit them makes a difference with any bullet. But the above has been my experience. Also pack a shotgun sometimes if you want some up close fun and good pelts.

I used to shoot a lot of coyotes clean with Sierra 70 hpbt matchkings. Most shots were under 200 yds, but the fur buyer told me they were less damaged than many of the 22-250 coyotes. It's not a hunting bullet I know, but with good velocity they rarely left an exit. They shot well out of a 9 1/8 twist barrel over 46 gr of H4350.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.