I need rifle advice

ru1234

My buddy wants to sell me a Weatherby Accumark 30-378 with muzzle brake, bipod, dies and 5 boxes of ammo (only 9 rds through gun), and a 4 to 16 Bausch and Lomb Elite 4200 for $1500. But I'm wondering if I should pass and buy a 300 instead because of ammo/brass availability, barrel life, recoil, etc. It would cost me much more to buy everything new if I got the 300, but I wonder if I would be money ahead in the long run.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

I would take the deal. The 30-378 is actually looking to be more popular than the old 300 wtby. It already has a break so that should help with the recoil and you have dies to hand load it with some heavy bullets and make a real LRH gun out of it.

as far as recoil, it's not bad at all with the brake.
if you reload then there is no problem with ammo, as you already have 5 boxes of brass.

enjoy that cannon.

Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, I posted a question on the handloading forum about the RockChucker Jr and whether or not it could be used to reload the 30-378. RCBS seems to think it would be too small. Do any of you know if it would work?

Are you kidding? The bare rifle is $1500 new. It will walk an about any other .308 rig out there. Brass availability is excellent with no less than 4 mail order outfits stocking the stuff at all times. It comes with a better barrel than any other out of the box gun built. The trigger is on par or better than the aftermarket triggers out there. In 10 minutes it will be a crisp 16-18 ounces if you desire. A Harris Bi-Pod starts at $65 and goes up. That scope is a 350-400 dollar item. Loaded ammo for that gun is over $75 a box. The brass is worth 2.00 apiece. The recoil is nill with the brake and excellent Decelerator recoil pad that comes on it. If your looking for barrel life look into a 30 carbine, otherwise that one should last you a long time and if accuracy goes out the window due to wear Tereasa at Weatherby tells me that they will rebarrel it for you at NO CHARGE! This is a smokin deal and is easy money in the bank. Better not wait as someone will buy it out from under you. I would never have put it on a public board until it was safe in my safe. Now to stock up on premium bullets and lots of IMR-7828 or RL-25.

Yes, an RC2 will work fine.

Hired Gun- Thanks for the reply. I'm picking up the gun next week and am really looking forward to using it. I'm new to this site, but after I get this thing I'm sure I'll be a regular visitor!!

Sir, I say forget what these guys say!!!
Oh... and by the way what was your friends name, address, and phone #? Only 1500.00 right?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.