I need a good all around pistol! Any Ideas?

I need a all round every situation concealable pistol

• Ruger LCR .357

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Springfield XDs 45 ACP

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Glock 32 45 ACP

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Kimber Pro Carry II

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • XDM compact 45 ACP

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

ShooterMedic

So I was given the green light by my financial consultant AKA my Wife, to by a new pistol one for each of us. She wants a .22 cal. We went and shot three different ones, and decided on the new ruger SR22. Me on the other hand I am struggling.

I have a .41 mag that I use as my bow hunting back up. Great gun but it is heavy and it has the 8 1/2 inch barrel not really an all around packer.

So I would like to find somthing concealable. But will also sever as a good all around pistol when I am in the back woods. I am leaning toward a 45 acp. for the stopping power. But if any of you have any thoughts please voice up.

I have shot about 8 different ones and they are all pretty good. I have about a $600 that I can spend

Here are some the pistols I am throwing around.

1. Springfield XDs the new Subcompact 45 acp
  2. Ruger LCR .357
  3. Glock 32 45 acp
  4. Kimber pro carry II
I thought I would get a sub compact, but as I said I am not against a full size pistol.

Please let me know your thoughts thanks.

I am a 1911 fan. So I would vote Kimber or many other great 1911 variants. My father swears by his XDM. I never have been a fan of double stack mags in 45acp. May I recommend if you stray from 1911 perfection, you take a look at the Glock 36.

Glock 19 wife and I both have one goes everywhere with me.

I know 9mm right, but with modern bullets your not giving up much. Subcompact pistols are cool but very hard to shoot, and add a big 45 round to that and it becomes even harder in a stressful situation.

9mm has light recoil plenty of power and 15+1 mag capacity is a lot of rounds on target. 45 sounds nice but I cant imagine trying to hold that little pistol steady as some bear is 7 yards away and getting off one good shot.

Plus its a Glock you cant kill it, one word of caution however stay away from gen4 pistols until the bugs are worked out.

I really really like the PRO series from Kimber, but 1911 styles have always fit my hand well. The PRO series gives you an extra round over the ULTRA or compacts but the 4" barrel is a little easier to conceal than the full size 5".
I've got 3 Kimber 45's and the PRO CDP is my favorite. Unfortunately, it's probably over the price you listed.......I know mine was about double that.

I've never owned a Glock or a Springfield, cant comment on those.

I would look at the Kimber Line of pistols.

I have many pistols for different uses and Kimber has the most selection of quality
pistols in all sizes, capacities and calibers.

I have never been disappointed in any Kimber.

J E CUSTOM

I'm in agreement with most here. You just can't go wrong with a 1911 if you want 45ACP. I'm also a big fan of Kimber handguns.

Now, when I got my all-round pistol for huntin purposes, & truck gun, I chose the Springfield XD in .40 S&W. It Pointed better than the Glock in my hand.

Neither compare to my Kimber for sleek, & sexy, or classic lines, but it's perfect for my intended purpose. Rugged, accurate, & disassembles in seconds with no tools, if need be in the field. & I can tell you from personal experience that it smashes a bear skull at 6 feet away, incase you were worried about penetration or power. I'm glad I know that now:D

So IMO for .45ACP Id go with the 1911 in a Kimber.
For anything else I'd go with the XD or the Glock in .40 S&W, whichever points best in your hand best. Just my 2cents

I may be off track here but I'm thinking Glock compact or Springfield xd because of the ease of carry being compact an lightweight . You will spend more time carrying it than shooting it. Why not be comfortable .

IMO, Glocks are clunky. .22 in anything is tantamount to ****ing off an assailant. get yourself some firepower. .22 isn't where it's at. Fine for plinking and small rodents.

My wife handles a 45LC just fine....

Rugers pocket gun is cheap and looks that way. It also shoots (action wise) as cheap as it is.

My personal choice would be a Kimber in 45ACP or a Wilson Combat. I have both btw. Ruger's new 45 is based on the Kimber/Wilson lower but I have no idea if the trigger group is typical Ruger, clunky, heavy, lors of pre-travel....

So I was given the green light by my financial consultant AKA my Wife, to by a new pistol one for each of us. She wants a .22 cal. We went and shot three different ones, and decided on the new ruger SR22. Me on the other hand I am struggling.

I have a .41 mag that I use as my bow hunting back up. Great gun but it is heavy and it has the 8 1/2 inch barrel not really an all around packer.

So I would like to find somthing concealable. But will also sever as a good all around pistol when I am in the back woods. I am leaning toward a 45 acp. for the stopping power. But if any of you have any thoughts please voice up.

I have shot about 8 different ones and they are all pretty good. I have about a $600 that I can spend

Here are some the pistols I am throwing around.

1. Springfield XDs the new Subcompact 45 acp
  2. Ruger LCR .357
  3. Glock 32 45 acp
  4. Kimber pro carry II
I thought I would get a sub compact, but as I said I am not against a full size pistol.

Please let me know your thoughts thanks.

I don't see your wife liking any 45 small enough to carry. I think you are going to have to find her
a better choice than a 22 cal.

I have a recomended pistol and cal for women that so far has been perfict for them and it qualifies for the CHL license.

It is a 380 Bersa model "Thunder 380" that will hold 8 Rounds or they make a high capacity one.

I even bought myself one so i could stick it in my pocket without a holster if I need to take it with
me.

Most of the ladies that I have recomended it to are small framed and love it. and recoil is not
a problem for them.

You owe it to yourself to at least look at one, and take your wife with you.

For your self there are lots of good Carry guns mentioned and if recoil is not an issue any good
pistol will work. I like the big bores and my personal favorite is the 10mm auto.(More powerful
than the 45).

J E CUSTOM

Sounds like he is looking for two guns. The wife picked the SR22 and now he gets to pick his new carry gun for himself. Hence him asking for advice on calibers that obviously might be too much for a smaller framed shooter.

I may be wrong, but that is how I interpreted it.

Again I will say go for a Kimber or 1911 variant. Think Commander size, maybe Officer if you have smaller hands. Possibly an alloy frame if you can get one in budget. Look in to "bobtail" options too. They carry very well. When I lived in the states or visit; I carry a Dan Wesson Guardian, 45acp, Commander size, with a "bobtailed" alloy frame and I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards.

I have carried many different styles of pistol while living in a not so friendly areas of the US and the 1911 fits me best.

I have 4 XDs in various configurations and like them all. They are extremely realiable and "point well" as previously noted. I am not knocking the 1911 but my personal preference is the XD.

Interestingly, I own Kinbers, Wilsons, Smiths, Rugers, Glocks and even a Kel-Tec and my favorite pocket carry is my Bond 2 shot derringer, a 45LC in one hole and a 410 No.8 in the other.

Bond calls it a 'Snakeslayer'. Not sure if they mean a reptile snake or a 2 legged snake, either way, it can handle the situation.

Bond advertises them as a lady's purse gun. I have to tell you that any lady that can deal with the recoil is more manly than feminine. It kicks plenty hard.

It's tiny, pocket size with just enough rifling (at the end 1/4") to satisify the government. The barrels are interchangeable like a Thompson Center, one allen screw and you can change out to a number of different calibers, all the way up to a 44 magnum, all the way down ro a .22 LR.

I like the 45/410 combo. a 45LC is just a bit below the 44 mag in stopping power and nothing can beat a 410 with No.8 for a close range face removal.

I'd just as soon leave it in my pocket. I know I'd never want to be looking at the business end.

I never visit Detroit without it. The urban jungle requires the proper attire..........

Might take a look at S&W's M&P line you can get them in about any caliber you want from full size to compact. Very dependable and you can change out the palm swells to fit your hand size.I like my 40s&w, that said my full time carry is an springfield EMP small concealable and most importantly shoots where you point it.

There are so many options and models to think about when trying to decide on concealed weapon. I can not say anything about the ruger, but in 357, I am sure it will work! You said your budget was 600$ so that would rule out the kimber, although probably the nicest out of the bunch. A friend of mine carrys a .45 kimber CDP for off duty carry and he is scary accurate with that gun. The new Springfield xds is a wee little thing and if you have a big hand, my be a bit much (my pinky hangs off the bottom). And the glock, well it's a glock. Very reliable and will shoot in almost any condition. Maybe take a look at the slim line .45, model 36. I had one and loved it. Next to that, I would lean toward the S&W M&P lineup. Like stated previously, many configurations and caliber choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts