What is this? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 7mmSendaro, Oct 24, 2007.

1. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I found this empty casing in northeastern Wyoming. I have never seen anything like it. Anyone have a clue what it is? Diameter of the case above the rim is about .565, overall length is 1.760. Diameter of the rim is .660. There is nothing stamped on the head. Curious piece of history.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NONYA

NONYA Banned

I have a few that look very similar,i believe it is a 50-80.

3. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

I was gonna say a Sharps .50-70. .512" to .514" bullet, 1 3/4" long case, .668" rim.

[​IMG]

Custer carried a .50-70 sporting rifle when he was in Wyoming, so you can imagine it's possible that Yellowhair busted a buffalo with your cartridge.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. 7mmSendaro

Thanks guys.....makes you wonder what this case WAS used for........great piece of history!

5. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Brian,

I assume you found that on BLM land. I am sorry but you better mail that to me and I'll see that the proper authorities get your historical find. I will furthermore not report you to the Fed's for theft of said artifact....

Oh, by the way, if you believe one once of above said "crap" you will have to be sentenced to 5 days Pd hunting and coyote calling on next said trip to my backyard ..... LOL

6. 7mmSendaro

Scott,

Sorry, but this major historical find was on private land that was actually homesteaded by the Bruce family 4 generations ago.....;)

However, I will except my sentenced punishment next October!

Please write down my reservation...............

Brian