I have a Long Action with a barrel nut...want a 6mm...recommendations?

Longtooth32

I thought about a 6mm Creedmoor but I would have to build a short action. Want to use my current LA, mags and bottom metal...

Was thinking about a fast twist 240 Wby.

I really like the steep shoulder and the long neck of the 240 Wby...

Thoughts?

TIA...

I love my 6mm ai and with your long action you can load heavies where ever you wanted. I love the long neck on it also. The 6mm falls in that medium action size so a short action is difficult if you want heavies seated out further but you wouldn't have that problem. I have loaded for my dads 240 weatherby and it's also fast I'm just not a weatherby or belt fan. I know belts and weatherby are your thing from lots of your other posts haha
I formed 6mm ai brass from norma 7x57 brass so good brass is also available I guess it comes down to how much work you want to put into it. The 240 would be much easier in that regard.

I love my 6mm ai and with your long action you can load heavies where ever you wanted. I love the long neck on it also. The 6mm falls in that medium action size so a short action is difficult if you want heavies seated out further but you wouldn't have that problem. I have loaded for my dads 240 weatherby and it's also fast I'm just not a weatherby or belt fan. I know belts and weatherby are your thing from lots of your other posts haha
I formed 6mm ai brass from norma 7x57 brass so good brass is also available I guess it comes down to how much work you want to put into it. The 240 would be much easier in that regard.
Thanks for your response...

I have never been a Belted magnum guy...just what I have been shooting. After fireforming my cartridges...I have only neck sized. Never indexed off the belt...Really liked my 270 Wby pushing the 170 Bergers @ 3225fps. Screwed on a Proof Research Carbon 28" in a 6.5x284...heck...hit a node @ 3135fps pushing the Nosler 140s with RL26...

Just thinking about using what I have...:)

6mm-06 is a 240 bee without the belt. I'd go ai just to stabilize the brass. A 6-284 is another great option with alot of information available as well

Are you wanting a real screamer or what is your goal with this build?

Just looking to have some fun with the lower recoiling 6mm heavies without having to build a short action. A screamer with some barrel life is the hope...:)

Hope every one will have a Happy New Year...

My vote is still 6ai then. I made the mistake of just rechambering a factory barrel with a 1:10 22" so I'm limited to 95 Berger classic hunter for my highest bc bullets being stabilized. For target or varmint the 110 smk has a monster bc and has been very accurate in my 6 dasher. I can only imagine how much of a laser that would be in a larger case. I was able to fully stabilize that at 3000 ' elevation with a 7.5 twist even though sierra says 7.

6mm-284. However the twist would be my biggest concern. Lots of good choices mentioned, but the 1-7" twist would be a requirement for whichever one I chose.

6mm-284. However the twist would be my biggest concern. Lots of good choices mentioned, but the 1-7" twist would be a requirement for whichever one I chose.

Thanks for the idea. Just found a 6mmx284 in stock. It is a Savage pre-fit, Shilen, 28", 1-8 twist, 5.5 Contour (Medium weight Varmint), 11 degree crown, 6 fluted barrel in SS. Bought for $416.

I already have the 6.5x284 brass and the no-go/go-gauges. So the 6mmx284 just makes more sense...

Thanks again...Off to buy bullets and dies...

Have a Happy New Year...

Any recommendations on bullets that the above barrel, twist, cartridge (6-284) will stabilize?

Any recommended 243 heavy bullets that are easy to shoot (tune)?

Any chance that the barrel will stabilize the Berger 115gr VLD Hunting bullet? If I am pushing the 140gr bullet @ 3135fps in the 6.5-284 in a 28" barrel...how fast could I push the 115gr Berger in the same (28" barrel) with the 6-284 ?

I used 3200fps in the Berger Twist Calculator for the 115gr Berger...

I can get Nosler Custom Competitions 107gr for less than 20 cents a bullet...

I mainly shoot above 5000 feet...

TIA

Last edited:
I doubt the 110 smk will stabilize but at that elevation it may. The nosler rdf line of bullets is actually supposed to be on with their bc for once. I haven't tried the red yet but i have them to try when I get around to it. It will be a while though as I have a 500 count box of the smk. The 105 Berger vld hunting is right there for bc with the 115. The slight gain in bc of 115 will lose out over the large speed you will gain with the 105.
I went through this with my dasher trying to figure out bc vs speed even in this cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts