i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

Ever think about the new Savage 110FCP in 300 win mag? It comes with a muzzle break already on it. I'd junk the stock, and put it in a McMillan A-5. Shouldn't have much recoil after that even with 210gr berger VLD's.

Thought about calibers other than the bigger flavors?

I built a 6.5x55 AI for a long range bench gun and it has provided excellent accuracy. Next rifle that I build will be another 6.5x55 AI but in the carry gun category so that I can hunt with it. Plan on going with a light varmint or heavy sporter contour, 28" barrel, and a B & C carbelite stock. With scope, this should come in at 8 pounds and not produce thumping recoil.

The high BC 140/142 gr bullets will provide excellent down range ballistics and, depending on bullet selection, be excellent for taking continental U.S. game.

I also had a back injury, (weight lifting,) exercise helps me a lot, (kickboxing.) I actually don't have back problems unless I stop beating on my punching bags.

Just thought I would add that.

:)

i have been building a custom rifle from a savage it will be heavy and havea break and hopefully i can shoot it all day.

Good luck on the build! I have a muzzle brake on my 7mm RUM from Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing, he frequents here. Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge and Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting also make excellent brakes.
My 7RUM is a sporter weight and before it was braked, it had the sharpest recoil of any rifle I have shot. With the brake, a child could shoot it. It is extremely loud and hearing protection is a must. The other two brakes I mentioned should offer similar recoil reduction, so the Knoxx stock won't be needed. Just be sure the Savage is properly bedded and you use a high quality scope as those very efficient brakes are also very hard on poorly bedded rifles and poor quality scopes and mounts.
I have had several back surgeries over the years but I feel better now at 38 than I ever did in my 20's back wise. I can shoot anything I want including 375 H&H and 3 1/2" 12 ga turkey loads with no back pain. Hang in there and get the proper medical help you need for your back.

The 6.5x55 is considered THE moose cartridge in Finland. It is extremely accurate, mild in report and recoil and because of its' high sectional density it penetrates deeply. You do not need a cannon for long range moose hunting.

On the subject of back injuries, my dog is bigger than your dog. I had a compression fracture of T10, Kyphoplasty to repair it, contracted MRSA infection, 3 surgeries, 5 months in hospital, T10,11,12,L1,2,3 all fused into one. I cannot bend at the waist.

I would take a look at the Savage Tactical series in 300 WM. The custom shop can built 110 series tactical rifles in various barrel lengths and chambers that are not listed in the link below. You can pick one up for around $750 new.

Savage Arms Model 10FP

This rifle comes standard with 1.5 lbs accutrigger, accustock, oversized tactical bolt and muzzlebrake.(2009 Model) The muzzlebrake and 9 lbs weight should make it a low recoil option even in 300WM.

The custom shop costs are very reasonable. It they quoted me only $157.00 over the cost of the standard tacticle rifle to get a custom chamber 6.5-284 and 26" barrel.

Last edited:
I would take a look at the Savage Tactical series in 300 WM. The custom shop can built 110 series tactical rifles in various barrel lengths and chambers that are not listed in the link below. You can pick one up for around $750 new.

Savage Arms Model 10FP

This rifle comes standard with 1.5 lbs accutrigger, accustock, oversized tactical bolt and muzzlebrake.(2009 Model) The muzzlebrake and 9 lbs weight should make it a low recoil option even in 300WM.

The custom shop costs are very reasonable. It they quoted me only $157.00 over the cost of the standard tacticle rifle to get a custom chamber 6.5-284 and 26" barrel.

The total cost on that doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be. I guess I was thinking it would be over a grand.

The total cost on that doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be. I guess I was thinking it would be over a grand.

I just want to clarify the standard tactical 110 retails for around $750.00 the custom charges for longer barrel and custom cartridge add around $157.00.

I broke my back 8 years ago hitching a trailer ( one wheel dropped off board before the other) tongue swung into me and sent me flying. Landed on a ridge across my lower back from tire track in hard soil. I saw stars.
Anyway, only shoot from standing - no bench, no prone.
I use Ibuprofen for inflammation.
I only wore brace when absolutely necessary - Dr. said without it muscles will build up faster.
Still not up to full endurance, but I am a lot older than you are. Good luck.
P.S. for practice stay with lower weight bullets for less recoil and lean into rifle to absorb recoil.