I’m looking to build a rifle that is capable of taking a 1000 yard kill.

bhw33

I'm looking to build a rifle that is capable of taking a 1000 yard kill. I believe that I was taught to be a responsible hunter and would not take this shot unless it was IDEAL; opportunity, my skill, my rifle, the weather, etc.

I learned Long Rang shooting with Sharps 50-70 and Remington Model 700 7mm. Every rifle I have owned was bought at a Pawn Shop and I'm looking forward to getting something "new".
  • Because of my experience I'm leaning towards a Remington Model 700 action on the Eberlestock Model 11 Stealth Rifle Chassis, but I'm not committed to this path.
  • I know the 7MM and 30-06 and a most likely to go that way but again not converted to this path either.
  • Optics, Barrel and anything else is going to be "learning by doing" and any input you have on matter will help me.
I'm focused on functionality, "this is not a $@&!! beauty contest here."
I have been out of the Hunting committee for quite a while so if I sound ignorant it is because I am. I'm here for the education
Let me know your thought and let's see we what Brain Child we can come up with!!
Thanks for your time

Welcome!! What kind of game are you looking to take and at what elevations, how much shooting are you willing to do to make it happen?

I'm in south western Idaho and the elevation is going to vary but averages out at about 4500 ft in the area's I'll be hunting (Owyhee's and Sawtooth Mt ranges).

Mule deer will be the game of choice but I would not mind looking into Elk. But Elk would require time scouting out a new area. (Not a lot of Elk in those areas' that I know of).

As for time, there is little of that right now. I'm a full time student and full time employee, and full time family type person. But I could make sometime to practice good habits that would make up for a lot of time practicing bad ones. The 1000 yard kill is a long term goal and I understand that.

Since you have most likely reloaded for the 7rm I would stick with that unless you want to include elk and then I'd go .300wm.

Learning drops and dialing up is rather easy compared to doping the wind. It will take a lot of practice to get good at it.

Go with the Remington you already have, have it re-piped, get a good stock, good mounts and optics, you are in business. The Remington is a good place to start because verybody specializes in them it seems, and there are plenty of parts, so, good prices. ( relatively) If money is no problem just buy a ready built rifle from Len and be done with it! :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned. My wife was a senior in Littleton when Columbine went down and I sold all my hardware before we were married, except a 22, and an old 30-30.
But she's better now and I am restocking one peace at a time, sometimes one part at a time. Right now I'm in my design phase and your thoughts are appreciated!
The 7mm as a reference because I have shot a few thousand rounds and have an idea of how it will react.
***IdahoCTD, I like the idea of the .300wm but I have no experience with that cal. I'll have to do some research on that and come back to you with more questions.
***kennygss, is Len the gunsmith of Eberlestock? I like the Remington Brand, but I don't want to be limited to it just because it is what I always have used. Is there another brand that you would recommend?

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have mentioned. My wife was a senior in Littleton when Columbine went down and I sold all my hardware before we were married, except a 22, and an old 30-30.
But she's better now and I am restocking one peace at a time, sometimes one part at a time. Right now I'm in my design phase and your thoughts are appreciated!
The 7mm as a reference because I have shot a few thousand rounds and have an idea of how it will react.
***IdahoCTD, I like the idea of the .300wm but I have no experience with that cal. I'll have to do some research on that and come back to you with more questions.
***kennygss, is Len the gunsmith of Eberlestock? I like the Remington Brand, but I don't want to be limited to it just because it is what I always have used. Is there another brand that you would recommend?

Len runs and owns this site and also Long Range Rifles LLc. He builds long range rifles ready to go, of known high quality and accuracy.

8721-post-group2-crop-600.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts