Hydrostatic shock, what's your opinion?

I shot a deer once throw the center of it's gut at just over 500 yards hit no bone with a 338-378 weatherby with a 225 sst bullet and it dropped in its tracks.But it was a mess to clean.

Look up shooting holes in wounding theories. This stuff can be explained by science. It isn't magic. I read this whole essay a few years ago, it is dry science but well worth reading. If you (anybody) wants to know how bullets kill then read it.

Steve

Look up shooting holes in wounding theories. This stuff can be explained by science. It isn't magic. I read this whole essay a few years ago, it is dry science but well worth reading. If you (anybody) wants to know how bullets kill then read it.

Steve
Read that whole thing, in large part it's pretty well how I always figured it. I like his comparisons between 2 very different cartridges, have the same energy yet one is advised while the other is advised against.

I shot a deer once throw the center of it's gut at just over 500 yards hit no bone with a 338-378 weatherby with a 225 sst bullet and it dropped in its tracks.But it was a mess to clean.

I did the exact thing 20 years ago or so with a different caliber. What a mess, nothing but gut soup to scoop out

Here is one of my experiences on a WT buck, I was hunting from a tree stand w/ a 350 Rem Mag and was using the 200 gr round nose Remmy bullet. The deer came to about 15 yds and I shot perfect shot behind shoulders and the deer drops. While coming down the tree the deer gets up and runs down to the creek. My niece and I tracked the deer and it started to move, so I her put a round in it from her 270 Win.
Upon closer examination the shot of mine was perfect behind the shoulder but the entrance was the size of a golf ball. Right then and there I believe only blood lose or Spine shots will kill. The hydro shock should have been lethal if it is a large factor. Yes knocked the deer off his feet but did not kill him.
It's either that or some deer are just harder to kill than others.

The hydraulic pressure that is believed to effect lights out kills isn't a 100% sure thing. Some of the buffalo in the study Jim Carmichael referenced died instantly with broadside rib shots. Some stayed on their feet until loss of blood and loss of blood pressure caused them to collapse a bit later. Autopsies revealed that the brains of buffalo that went down instantly at the time of bullet impact experienced massive bleeding within the brain (ruptured veins/arteries). No such brain bleeding was observed in the buffalo that remained on all fours for some period of time following bullet impact. This is what caused the study to end with the explanation/conclusion that if the hydraulic pressure of the bullet impact is added to maximum heartbeat blood pressure in the animal, veins and arteries are more apt to burst than if the the bullets' added pressure wave occurs at low heartbeat blood pressure.

So we'd like the bullet to impact at the time when the animals' blood pressure is peaking for maximum lethality. During each heartbeat, blood pressure varies between a maximum (systolic) and a minimum (diastolic) pressure. Maybe if we break the trigger at the same time a hunting buddy hollers - HEY YOU!!!:)

The impressive killing effect caused by high speed bullet impacts has been documented. It has not been documented to happen 100% of the time, with each and every shot. But once you've observed it first hand, you'll be left shaking your head in amazement.

We shoot a lot of deer a year on crop permits and one thing I have noticed with a mid level behind the shoulder is I dont know what to expect, some drop hard some run a little but all die.
Now high shoulder will put them on their face every time as long as it is true high shoulder where the spine comes down, even if you dont hit the spine close will put them down and even if they are not DRT they are done before they even come close to getting back onn their feet.
If you look at a ghost view of a deer (highly recomend "The perfect shot North America") the spine dips down above the shoulder thats why that hig shoulder shot is so devistating.
As for damage from shock I think there are two many things to take into consideration, is the heart at rest or full under full load, did the animal just drink, all things that could contribute.
I did hit a small deer head on a few weeks, in the chest out the rear but the stomach also ruptured and dropped? I guess the 300 SMK was a little much running straight through the boiler the long way?

I think it would be interesting to post pics of deer with on side hits as well as exits and see if you can guess the results.

my friends uncle claims he shot a hog in the head with a .264mag 95grn v-max at close range. Upon cleaning the hog he noticed that the heart had exploded! sounds crazy to me but he is a guy who has no reason to lie about it.

I shot a whitetail doe in the ribs 6'' back from her front leg Saturday morning and she dropped dead in her tracks.....270 win.....no way that placement should have put her down that fast ..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.