.284 Winchester? What's your opinion

KPK

Hello I've read a lot of threads on here and other sites/articles and just wanted to see your opinions, in case some of you guys have gotten them/use them since the last threads I have read.

What's your opinion? I'm thinking of building one on a Surgeon long action for long range hunting/shooting. What's a max kill distance for one? I'll reload with necked up 6.5-284 lapua brass, RL17, and Berger 168/180 VLDs.

Let me know you guys opinion on this round!

Thanks

I love the .284win!! Haven't found the need to build one as it sort of splits hairs between the uses of some rifles I already own. However with lapua brass, RL17, and 180 Bergers you can easily reach 2900fps (26-28" bbl) a 30" you can toy with 3000+

also don't forget the 162 A-max!

Your range would depend on game. Elk maybe 800-900 deer sized critters 1000 or a little over.

However there are few people who's kill range is their cartridge. I would worry less about energy rating at xxx yards and more about at what range can you 9/10 tomes make a vital first round hit?

Thanks for the info. I really think this is the cartridge I'm going to go with. I like everything about it. Shorter case for long bullets, lots of selection, excellent brass, etc.

I would start out shooting like that by any means, but I'd like something I could use if I got good enough. I can make a 350 yard shot pretty easy, but after that a lot of things change. From the JBM calculator it has over 1100 lbs after 1000 yards which is plenty of power. Honestly the furthest I'd probably ever need/feel comfortable with is 6-700 yards max. Now for target there's no telling what I may try! gun)

I have been looking at this round myself. With the new R17 it can push that Berger 180 at almost 3000. H4831 can get up close to that territory I think. I wonder what magazine you would need to run that round in a Savage long action? Of course the 7WSM is also another viable alternative. Choices, choices. :D

Hello I've read a lot of threads on here and other sites/articles and just wanted to see your opinions, in case some of you guys have gotten them/use them since the last threads I have read.

What's your opinion? I'm thinking of building one on a Surgeon long action for long range hunting/shooting. What's a max kill distance for one? I'll reload with necked up 6.5-284 lapua brass, RL17, and Berger 168/180 VLDs.

Let me know you guys opinion on this round!

Thanks
if you have the skill the put the bullet where you want it to go, the 284 winchester has the horsepower to kill anything that breathes.

Great round. I would like to have one myself. I would caution that you don't get caught up in the 2900 fps w/the 180 gr bullet hype. Will it do it?? With a 30" bbl, yes. With a 26" you will be looking at closer to 2800 fps.

I know the RL17 hype as well. You may get it w/RL 17 but whether or not it will be accurate is another question. If it is great. If not you have a gun that you will be dissapointed in.

A friend of mine built one and he is shooting the 168 @ 2880 fps. Shoots little bug holes and has good down range energy for no more powder than you burn and no more recoil than it has. It is a great, accurate caliber. Just don't expect more than it can give you.

Thanks for all the comments! Sounds like a good choice...

Another question, how would you compare it to a 260?

If you were doing a total custom build and you had a Surgeon short action, would it be worth losing $75 and upgrading to the long to build a 284? I'm so confused right now at what to do. I've got a 591r that I can trad plus $300 for a 1086 long action for a larger caliber. I feel like the little loss would be worth it with way more options in a long action...

Well got the action! It'll be a long road to get the rest done, but it's a start...

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Those Surgeon actions are pretty intense. I think they are one of my favorites out of all the custom actions out there. Kirby's raptor action is pretty insane too!

Tank

BJ I thought about that yesterday, but didn't want to ask and you not know what the hell I was talking about. I think I'll like it...it's a beast compared to the 591.

BTW you guys have any 284 winchester brand brass?

I haven't seen Kirby's, I'll have to check it out...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts