huskema and 300 WSM

custom ruger

Hi i had a custom rifle built around my ruger mark II 300 wsm action ... super match grade pacnor 26" barrel rocky mountain rifle slim line break and borden rimrock stalk glass bedded and free floated with a huskema 5x20 blue dimond shooting federal premium 180 grain nosler accubonds......my question is im only stretching the turret out to 875 yards...is anyone else with a 300 wsm andthe huskema getting the full 1000 yard moa out of there system....if so what bullet and gun combo...i realize there are a million different factors to take into consideration but i like the 30 cal bullet but dont want to upgrade to get 1000 yard distance if possible...i dont handload other wise i would usingberger vld`s thanksfor the imput

gun)

You may have to add more MOA to your ring/mount set up. With the Ruger you're limited as far as this option goes, to my knowledge.

Burris makes an adapter called none other than the "Burris Ruger to Weaver Scope Base Adapter 77". You can find it on MidwayUSA, product # 855239 for $36.49. This will change your base mounting system and allow you to use Weaver style rings. Purchase some Burris Signature Zee Weaver style rings, product # 416175 $37.99, and the insert kit, Procuct # 712472 $16.49 and you can add MOA by using either the +/- .005, .010 or .020" inserts. It's a good system and while I have not used the Signature Zee style of rings, I have used the Signature STD style and it works great! I have them on 3 out of 4 of my rifles.

This style set up will/should get to out past 1000yds. JohnnyK.

Sounds like a good combo.
However you NEED to handload. It opens endless possibilities for accuracy, consistancy, & tailoring whatever bullet you choose to whatever your rifle likes to maximize its potential for your specific needs.
Id look real hard at 200gr Accubonds as close to 2900+ fps as you can safely push it. If needed, put a ramped MOA rail under your Husky. That should get you out past 1k with about 1/2 the wind drift and A LOT more energy. You wouldn't need any more MOA elevation in your scope either, just a new set of turrets with your current load info.
Nosler does custom loaded ammo to customer specs, (within reason) if you have a friend to work up load data for you to send them.
That way you could still buy O.T.C. ammo, & not have to invest in loading equipment. But that's a short term gain, long term loss money wise. Custom ammo ain't cheap.

Sounds like an awesome rifle tho on a lighter note. Good Luck.

I love thegun i thought about getting a new one....as fo reloading i got all the gear i just havent started it for the300wsm i just load for my smaller caliburs 22-250 and 243 and such.....thanx for theinput guys i appreciate it

If I understand your question correctly, your issue is that you can't get the full 1000 yard scale on your Huskemaw turret. If your load requires much more that 20MOA at 1000 yards with a 200 yard zero, your scale will be less. Huskemaw uses the upper scale on the turret for wind correction. Most of the magnums, using VLD's with a MV of 3000FPS or more should be within the 1000 yard scale on the turret. Factory loads with standard bullets generally require more than 20 MOA of elevation at 1000 yards. Therefore your scale will be less. You will have to record the scale on the second revolution to get your impact points and range. I don't think a MOA base will solve your problem. The scope itself should have enough elevation range to get you to 1000 yards. iMHO

On the cornagraph im doing 3040 fps with a 180 nosler accubond...but switching to a be0rger 168 grain vld in a hand load may corrct this problem??...time to start reloading then

I would not switch to the 168 because of the low bc for that bullet in 308, instead move up to the 185 or 190, then when you shoot your data for the new turret, Go on the best of the west bc calculator and print off a drop chart for your gun and load, I have one for all 4 of my rifles that wear the huskemaw and I use my turret out to the stated yardage usually between 875 and 975 yards (printed on the turret) but if I have to shoot further then I pull out the drop chart and count the clicks. I also had botw mill my front talley ring down a little bit to a 20 moa mount that way I can get the most out of my scope. with a little practice it becomes second nature.

Why 168? You should look at the 185,190, and 210 pills as the 300 wsm is more than apt to shoot the lightly heavier bullets. I chose the 190s for my tikka in this caliber but been spending to much time with my .260 to work up any loads yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.