210 berger and 300 wsm

I went back and looked at what action you said you had, and Midway or Sinclairs/Brownells has them for a 700sa its called a Wyatts extended window box for the WSMs, gives you a max length of 2.995" +- a couple thousandths. The bottom of the receiver and bolt stop need to be milled a little for installation. They should still be around 45$ from either place I mentioned. Also the H4831sc gives the best charge density next to 7828ssc but isn't as sensative btw, works good with WLRP or fed210Ms.

Thanks. I will deffinatly look into the 4831 if im not happy with the speeds of the 4350. And im going to have my Gunsmith look into the extended magbox for sure

I just loaded up some test ammo for the Neseka WSM / Krieger we just picked up. Loaded 36 - 39 of H4350 in 1/2 gr incruments. Trying 210 VLD with Moly @ 2.85 (mag limited) and 210 Fed primers. They sure look short after loading for my 1K match rifles at over 3.2".

4x, how come your only going with 36-39 grains of 4350?

I have good news for you fellas!! Give me about an hour to post pics when I get home from the range

went out and shot today, conditions were less than favorable with 3-10 mph winds blowing to the left. mixed with slight sprinkles of rain.. still very happy with the results..
all shots were 3 shot groups @100y cci #250 primers, rem brass, shot (57, 58, 59 grains of h4350), .120 jump. with 59 grains started showing primers flattening SLIGHTLY but i didnt shoot the 59.5 (i will def try it when im infront of a chrono) but this test was only for accuracy and i was more than happy with the results for a first test..

P.S. not sure what order the pics will post but i wrote the powder charge next to the holes in the picture.. on the pic with 59 there is a hole in the bottom left. ignore that, it was cold bore shot with my old load

Attachments

• 2012-12-05_16-49-44_314.jpg
    2012-12-05_16-49-44_314.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 2012-12-05_16-49-51_818.jpg
    2012-12-05_16-49-51_818.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 2012-12-05_16-50-17_612.jpg
    2012-12-05_16-50-17_612.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 252
Looks like your load work up was pretty easy with only minimum components used.

Congrats on great accuracy and good job on the trigger.

Jeff

Looks like your load work up was pretty easy with only minimum components used.

Congrats on great accuracy and good job on the trigger.

Jeff

Thanks! I was pretty surprised to see less than half inch group out of my first test.! My only concern is speed. Im guessing ill be under 2700 fps what does a berger bullet need to properly expand? My barrel twist is 1:10 and the 210vld suggests 1:12 or faster if I remember right. Delivered energy is threw the roof even out to 1000y but if im lucky enough to be at 2700fps my bullet speed at 1000 is about 1750fps will this be ok or do I need to pick up speed before I become satisfied with this load.

Wheatgerm,

I love to see groups like that with the 3rd test load! Heck, those 210s at 2700fps will thump out a long ways! I wouldnt be too concerned with "too slow". I shoot 168 VLD's from a 7mm-08 and they absolutely slam small-framed deer and big groundhogs!

Tinkle with that load a little if you'd like, but personally I'd load up 15-20 and go put some meat on the ground! Walk them out to 600 and see what they'll do. I've experienced better groups at 300 than 200.

Sorry you had unfavorable weather to shoot in, but doesnt the weather always turn south when its time to hunt?

again, good job!

Tom

Thanks! I was pretty surprised to see less than half inch group out of my first test.! My only concern is speed. Im guessing ill be under 2700 fps what does a berger bullet need to properly expand? My barrel twist is 1:10 and the 210vld suggests 1:12 or faster if I remember right. Delivered energy is threw the roof even out to 1000y but if im lucky enough to be at 2700fps my bullet speed at 1000 is about 1750fps will this be ok or do I need to pick up speed before I become satisfied with this load.

With H-1000 and a 210 in a 300 win we get 2900 from a 28" tube. My son has been taking game with the 230's from his 300 win with a velocity of 2775 and it will catch a 2900 fps 210 at 1000 yards. I would not get to shook up, remember the heavier bullet with lower muzzle velocity will be come the faster bullet down range. The lighter bullet loose velocity faster.

Get them on the chrono and see what you got, but I would not worry about expansion at all.

Jeff

Heck the weather just gave me an excuse for the 1/4 inch flyer I threw out there haha! Im not worried about them being too slow for anything under 900yards and honestly I don't PLAN on killing anything besides paper out further than that, but plans sometimes change when the time comes lol.
The new box of 210's is ordered. Ill load up about 10 and further test the load. Also the extended mag box is ordered. That will allow me to seat further out getting better speed and less psi so hopefully I can cram a little more powder ;)

Heck the weather just gave me an excuse for the 1/4 inch flyer I threw out there haha! Im not worried about them being too slow for anything under 900yards and honestly I don't PLAN on killing anything besides paper out further than that, but plans sometimes change when the time comes lol.
The new box of 210's is ordered. Ill load up about 10 and further test the load. Also the extended mag box is ordered. That will allow me to seat further out getting better speed and less psi so hopefully I can cram a little more powder ;)

Glad to hear you're pleased. I'm thrilled with how well all 3 of my rifles shoot Bergers.

If you're wanting to see some extensive testing done with Bergers, Broz (3 posts up) has some well written personal experiences and tests conducted with several different Bergers out of several rifles. Whenever I have questions about Bergers, I read his threads. The majority of the time my questions have been answered.

The season is still in, go smack something live gun)

Tom

We do have 1 more cow elk tag to fill if we can get the snow to fly and bring them lower. Thanks for the help and ill be reading into the threads as I have time, I have always been a tester and tinkerer so I can have the least amount of" what ifs" when the time comes

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts