Hunting Partners.

My problem is an uncle that lives on the family farm. He goes out of his way to wreck my hunting like ******* on my stand and taking a dump on a deer trail next to it. And walking his dog in my food plots. I have him on camera but can't do anything. Not my land and it isn't his either. My father has an 80 and so does my uncle to hunt on. He never stays on his side. On my 18th B-day I was turkey hunting on (his) side and he just about knocked my teeth out for it. And he and his wife were hunting on my dad's side the week before. And he been shooting 150+ for the last 3 years. The other years he would shoot the buck I would pass up. I'm still without a deer over 140. Oh, and he doesn't have a job most of the time so he is hunting. Sorry to bitch makes me feel better to complain. How's that for a hunting partner.

I learned two things that day, well three. One was Hunting Smarter is better than Hunting harder, choose your hunting buddies wisely, and third was know your rifle better. You see that Morning before I shot my buck I glassed a HUGE Buck that was beded right up against Chimney Rock. I have never seen in the wild a buck this big I glassed him for 20 minutes and Ranged him at 618 yds. I would guess that his outside spread was 36" Perfect Huge 4x4 with big Eye guards. This is one of the Reasons I really started looking into LRH. For most of you guys that shot would have been easy for you, I was not going to guess on how high to hold over him. That picture will be branded in my memory for a long time. At that time I sighted in my rifle 3" high at 100yds so I would be close to dead on at 350 shooting my 7mm-08.
I just want the odds to be in my favor again when an opportunity like that comes my way................and I'm still looking for a good Hunting Partner.
Two years ago I invited a friend to come Antelope hunting with me, we had Chukar hunted together several times and Pheasant hunting in ND. He brought along his Quad. I had scouted the area and Had a really nice Buck picked out that held high in a Sage bowl above a Spring. My friend drove his Quad up into the bowl after I asked him not to go up into there so you don't get him all spooked. Next morning before Opening day there he was back in the bowl, said he wanted to look him over again. This time I got very direct with him and told him a second time STAY OUT of there. ..............this time I wanted to kick him out of Camp, tried to hold back my anger and took a walk for an hour to calm down. I told him again don't go up. He informed me that the buck was not spooked at all and told me to get over it. That evening there he was again................the next morning and the next four day I hunted that bowl and never saw him again......................I waited 9 years for that area. Even today after almost 3 years Im so ****ed off at him.................I will never hunt with him again.

That's why I always have and always will hunt alone. Just me, Mother Nature and the Great Spirit along for company. It's all on me, the other Two are there to keep me straight. My gun, my training, my skills, Their overwatch. So far, so good.

Good Luck My Friends,

DocB

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

ps... the State Department and the CDC are NOT your friends!

I need your opinion

I was hunting last year in Eastern Nevada with a friend. . We camped at the base of the East Humboldt Mts. There were a lot of other hunters there so since we got there a few days early I did a little hiking and found a really nice bowl with two big saddles. The ridge ran right up to Chimney Rock and thought this would be a great place to be before light on opening day. Sure enough I was up there at dark sitting under a Pine tree with a perfect view of the bowl. At first light I heard some shots below in the Aspens and after about 5 -10 minutes here comes six big bucks. They stopped and looked back down the canyon and I shot a really nice 4x4 28" That Evening my Hunting buddy chewed me out and told me how unfair I was for using other hunters in the area to push those bucks up to where I was sitting. He said he was embarrased and ashamed of what I had done.

He said he would never hunt with me again because of my poor hunting ethics.
What a jackass. I hope you are finding a better class of new friends.

You took what the conditions gave you and capitalized on it. Not a single thing wrong with doing so.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.