Hunting Partners.

This is why I hunt alone almost exclusively. I have been burned several times by unethical "friends" or people who have a dark side you didn't know was there. I did a filmed hunt for the co-owner and CEO of a hunt brokerage business this past September. I packed the camera into their secret area. I spent 5 days learning about the 2 men. I trust 1 and not the other. I am still very hesitate to hunt with the trusted 1. However, we are looking at a filmed Alaska archer hunt next year and this hunt will be on neutral ground.

This subject has been on mind a great deal. My wife wants me to partner up because she worries about me. Where I hunt, it is pretty remote and difficult. She can not always be there due to time off etc. However, I just can't bring myself to introduce anyone new to my areas. So, this Alaska hunt would be on neutral ground and a good test to determine a mans true metal that make him who he is.

I agree with everyone else, that guy is and was not your friend. He had an agenda or lacked the ability to be a friend. A friend would have said, dude, nice work, congrats.

My wife is the same way. Worried when I head out alone especially when Im out for a week alone.
In the past I would ask someone along. Three times When I planned a trip with someone else each and every time expecting to be out for a weeks hunting trip that was planned 9 months in advance the Guy I invited told me that he had to be back on Thursday for work........................Told me he did not have enough vacation time and was afraid to tell me, and would not be able to go, of cource he told me after I helped him get a Mule Deer that made the Nevada State Record Book................. My wife told me that I needed to forgive him and I did. I invited him again and he repeated what he did again. Not enough vacation time we had to be back in town Wed..............The last time I invited our Pastor to go hunting with me and the same guy invited himself once he found out I had invited the pastor as he went to the same church as I did... I told our Pastor what had happened in the past and said he is not invited. My pastor told me what my wife told me to forgive him, and he talked with him about it.......................Well he did it again, but he informed me after he got his Deer. Come to find out he told my Pastor that we would have our deer early and would be able to come home on WED again so the Pastor assuming that he had talked to me about all of this. I was informed on Tus night that we had to leave on Wed morning. This was the Third time. I cant tell you how ****ed off I was.................Once he got his Deer he was upset because he wanted to go home......
Never let your wife tell you you need to take someone along and If someone would do this to you just remember he wont hesitate to do it again.

Last edited:
I have SPOT that helps keep her happy. It helps me relax a little too, knowing she is not overly worried. I use my spot ALOT.

Good news, she knows how I feel and feels the same way. She was with me on my last burn and her words are simply this: I wish and hope you can find someone that is on equal ground so you have someone to hunt with. The interesting thing is that she reads people extremely well. She is an investigator at the prison and is very good at it. She told me after I got burned that she wished she would have said something earlier because she thought the guy was no good right off. It is too bad she is not a hunter : ) She loves the filming, not the killing.

I am good with hunting alone, but it is nice to share the experiences with for sure.

I say GOOD RIDDANCE!! I recently cut ties with a hunting buddy who was only in it for himself and when he was unsuccessful blamed it on where I took him rather than his sheer lack of effort. Hunting buddies put in equal effort and have ground rules set before hand and work as a team. I think you did an awesome job playing the other hunters moves to build an advantage for yourself.

Mike I have hunted Black Bear several times and found that they are pretty much out when its dark. My son has shot two the last two years and he agree's that you usually see them when its just getting Dark.

Whats your experiance hunting them. The area your in looks like a lot of timber similar to where we hunted them. We would see a lot of tracks and found that finding an isolated spring was the ticket to increasing your odds of seeing on when it was light.

.... He said he was embarrassed and ashamed of what I had done.

He said he would never hunt with me again because of my poor hunting ethics.

Take the high road. Send him a polite note stating that you won't do anything to cause him any more embarrassment. Thank him for the good times otherwise.

Then quietly make plans for next season. Perhaps in the same place or another place you may have in mind. Sans the nay sayers.

Good hunting!

Pete

Mike I have hunted Black Bear several times and found that they are pretty much out when its dark. My son has shot two the last two years and he agree's that you usually see them when its just getting Dark.

Whats your experiance hunting them. The area your in looks like a lot of timber similar to where we hunted them. We would see a lot of tracks and found that finding an isolated spring was the ticket to increasing your odds of seeing on when it was light.

Depends on activity at the bait. The big old ones go nocturnal often but if you catch them on the bait when they first find it you are more likely to have them in the daylight. But it's hard to tell. The more I learn about bears the more they surprise me. I think it depends on your feeding practices (is there always lots of feed or donyou only feed when you plan to hunt. ...lots of variables obviously but multiple cameras are a must for patterning

Where we hunt Baiting is illegal. We spend the summer time looking for isolated Springs big enough for them to roll in. When we locate one we set out trail Camera's..........................................The area is dry so the good springs we do find will have five or six bears coming in to it......................Other than the springs they are really tuff to hunt.

Bummer Greg. I guide for my buddy and we usually see 15-25 bears a year with out much effort really. Baiting makes it too easy.

Not where I hunt......................I wish it was. I will see a lot of Tracks especially after a light snow. The Trail camera's we put out will show bears only at night they get there at night and leave before it gets light. The only success we have had is finding a remote isolated water hole.......................
My son loves Bear Hunting says it a lot more challenging than Deer Hunting. Even told me that Deer Hunting was to easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.