Hunting advice

flowhnun63

Hunting mule deer is something that's always been on my bucket list, but its kind of hard to do in North Carolina. I'm wondering if anyone had to pointers on what states are the easiest to get tags in, should I look for an outfitter or try to DIY, what outfitters have y'all used if any? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Easiest states to get a tag in, I'd say Colorado, Idaho, and Montana for DIY mulies. New Mexico has no preference point draw, but lots of applicants.

With no mulie experience, you would be better off with outfitter or buying landowner permit to get started. Talk to biologists, wardens etc. in the states you're interested in. Takes quite a bit of research to have a successful trip and good experience on first DIY.

Easiest states to get a tag in, I'd say Colorado, Idaho, and Montana for DIY mulies. New Mexico has no preference point draw, but lots of applicants.

With no mulie experience, you would be better off with outfitter or buying landowner permit to get started. Talk to biologists, wardens etc. in the states you're interested in. Takes quite a bit of research to have a successful trip and good experience on first DIY.

well said words from an experience hunter, Thanks.

Their is something very satisfying about doing a diy public land hunt. Get yourself on-x hunt maps and a good set of boots and go hunt. Maybe it's just me, but if I don't fill my tag, and I put in the work I'm still satisfied.

Their is something very satisfying about doing a diy public land hunt. Get yourself on-x hunt maps and a good set of boots and go hunt. Maybe it's just me, but if I don't fill my tag, and I put in the work I'm still satisfied.
And your last line, Sir, is what it's all about for a true hunter and very well said!

Doing a bucket list is usually a once is a life time trip. Do you want "nice trophy" for your wall?" Do you want a "big trophy" for your wall?? Maybe just a great trip with a deer you planned hunted and killed??
Some questions need an answer before much help can be given.

"With no mulie experience, you would be better off with outfitter or buying landowner permit to get started."
A very high percentage of success rate with professional guidance.

Hunting mule deer is something that's always been on my bucket list, but its kind of hard to do in North Carolina. I'm wondering if anyone had to pointers on what states are the easiest to get tags in, should I look for an outfitter or try to DIY, what outfitters have y'all used if any? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Here in southeast Idaho the mulies took a beating because of all the snow last year. Hunting was poor this fall. However I seen a GIANT mulie the other day while out trying to call a wolf. Extreme southern Idaho has some great mule deer hunting. PM me if I can help!
Thanks, Kirk

Start applying in CO units 61 and 62. If you get a tag go DIY as I think it's more satisfying to hunt and shoot your prey than have the outfitter hunt it for you a month before you arrive. At that point you're are just a shooter, not a hunter. Fly into Grand Junction. Rent a Tahoe, sleep in it, eat out of it and hunt hunt hunt. Lots of mulies in those units if you can get a tag. Applying 3rd season rifle may take a few years as you're close to their rut. The earlier seasons may yield a tag sooner. Get an OTC bull elk tag if your successful in 62 so if you run across one of those BOOM, you've got a full freezer of awesome meat to eat and a mulie still waiting. Seems every time I see elk in 62 I see mulies with the them. I passed up on a fork horned mulie a few years ago at 50 yards when I drew that tag and in retrospect regret it but no biggie, I love the hunt more than the kill. If not successful, try the general season in south east MT for mulies and elk. Rent a Tahoe as your tent and have fun. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.