Mexico Coues Advice

If you can take not common cartridges. If you take 308 or something you might loose it at a check station. Happened to us. Anything like PRC, wby, WSM they don't have interest in. Also be prepared to be screwed out of some money at some point, always seems to happen there. We flew into a lake once for a few peso yrs ago. To fly us out they 4x the price. You just have to grin and bear it. Don't go out at night, it's legal to hunt at night in Mexico but Don't do it. If your that close to the border you will likely be on a ranch traffickers use in some way or another. Be friendly to the people, most people there are good friendly, be respectful and share your wealth with them. We would leave all our deer meat for the ranch hands. It's a fun hunt hope yours will be as good as ours

I'm from Colorado hunted my whole life and in 2020 we went to AZ for a coues deer hunt around Tucson. I was amazed at how small they were and the first day it was very hard to spot them specially in the terrain we were in. It was very thick and rough. By the 3rd day I was spotting a lot of deer by myself I would say totally different hunting than mule deer. Where we were we didn't walk and look you paid attention where you were walking because all the cactus and jumping cactus. It was one of the best times hunting though I ever had and an experience that is unmatched. Me and my dad went and we don't go on guided hunts but luckily we were fortunate to be able to afford it. We wanted to hunt then in Mexico so bad but haven't been able to do it with life and $$$$. Also i found coues deer to be some of the best meat. My buck from 2020 scored 103. Then there is pic of some bucks from the camp.

Some really nice sets of antlers right there.

Bring bottled water. A small tire inflator compressor in each SxS, rough country eats tires. Be prepared to hike in rough country, comfortable boots, bring mole skin in case of blister's, there's a reason they call this "the poor man's sheep hunt". Good quality 2way radios. Trekking poles can be a help also, especially on a climb and descent from a buck up high. Dress in layers for sure. I just hunted down by Douglas last week, 29 degrees in the early AM and 60 degrees by 10am. Practice your long range shots. 500 yards is not uncommon. Set a goal, if looking for a trophy, 100" is the number many look to achieve. There are some cool bucks though under 100" that can be very unique and hard to pass. We just killed a 114 5/8" and also a real tall 92" buck that would be hard to pass up for a first time Coues. Most of all, have good time and be safe.

View attachment 408025
Awesome! Thank you for sharing. I've got compressor, spare tires, plug kit and fix-a-flat. Planning on taking lots of water.
Great buck!

I'm from Colorado hunted my whole life and in 2020 we went to AZ for a coues deer hunt around Tucson. I was amazed at how small they were and the first day it was very hard to spot them specially in the terrain we were in. It was very thick and rough. By the 3rd day I was spotting a lot of deer by myself I would say totally different hunting than mule deer. Where we were we didn't walk and look you paid attention where you were walking because all the cactus and jumping cactus. It was one of the best times hunting though I ever had and an experience that is unmatched. Me and my dad went and we don't go on guided hunts but luckily we were fortunate to be able to afford it. We wanted to hunt then in Mexico so bad but haven't been able to do it with life and $$$$. Also i found coues deer to be some of the best meat. My buck from 2020 scored 103. Then there is pic of some bucks from the camp.
Jaw-drop!! Great bucks.

Some ripstop pants are also recommended. Whether it's the cactus, or this plant we call cat's claw, if you want to focus on hunting and not where you are stepping all the time, wear some rip stop pants.
Agreed with LVJ. Watch the cat claw. My buddies call it a mix of other colorful names. Also known as the "wait a minute" bush because everyone will be saying "wait a minute" to each other while they untangle themselves from the cat claw that has sucked into their arm or leg. I've been wearing mostly kuiu attack pants and they've done pretty well fending off the cat claw. At work we wear Kevlar reinforced Nomex which works well. But you will definitely be poking holes in your clothes regardless of what you wear.

There is another little bush as well, don't know the name of it, it's a about 1.5 to 2 ft tall, it's a tough, thick, dark mesquite like looking bush that is full of thorns, and I've seen it all around the southern part of Arizona and Northern part of Sonora. From 2500 ft in elevation to 6,000 ft.

In spanish we call it Garruña, and it's horrible to walk through, it is noisy as it scratches your pants and will scratch your legs like if you went 10 rounds with a bobcat, and it is tiring walking through it.

I used to wear some Wrangler rip stop pants but they are too heavy and too warm for me. I've settled for 511 tactical rip stop pants, they are light, flexible and comfortable, and they put up with this little bush. It's the worst thing after prickly pear and cholla cactus.

There is another little bush as well, don't know the name of it, it's a about 1.5 to 2 ft tall, it's a tough, thick, dark mesquite like looking bush that is full of thorns, and I've seen it all around the southern part of Arizona and Northern part of Sonora. From 2500 ft in elevation to 6,000 ft.

In spanish we call it Garruña, and it's horrible to walk through, it is noisy as it scratches your pants and will scratch your legs like if you went 10 rounds with a bobcat, and it is tiring walking through it.

I used to wear some Wrangler rip stop pants but they are too heavy and too warm for me. I've settled for 511 tactical rip stop pants, they are light, flexible and comfortable, and they put up with this little bush. It's the worst thing after prickly pear and cholla cactus.

It's a species of Acacia. Nasty sheet it is. It'll tear your arse up fo sho! Add to your list of things to bring. GOOD GATORS will save your lower legs.

Back when I guided in Sonora, I didn't go anywhere without chapstick, sunglasses, a good wind coat and a leatherman on my hip (helped with things that wanted to stick and hitch a ride and there is plenty of that).

For a glassing pad I use a piece of latigo, about the size of a large pizza. I wrapped it around my tripod legs when I was on the move and it was in the pack. I used a Slick 444, a White head and Swaro 15's. When I set up to glass I'd set out my doublers so I could get them into action when need be quickly.

A light beanie is nice for the first couple hours, then a ball cap or Tilley worked fine after that.

Coues and glassing for them, life just doesn't get much better!

The idea of leaving the meat for the Vaquero's is a wonderful idea! Though I would have one dinner from the straps while I was down there:)

Awesome post and great advice from all. I'm headed to MX in January and the member's insight and tips are greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome! This is nice to see, unlike some other sites in today's world.