HS Precision quality control (revisited)

Jeesuz christ. Looks like you people took all that this a lot worse than I did.

Yeah, the innards are bloody rough. The rifle shoots well. I'm happy enough, but wanted to know if that kind of finish on the stock was normal.

I forgot all about it till I saw this post starting up again.

Roper: How in the hell am I supposed to "know" that HS bedding blocks aren't polished? And what are HS going to tell me before I buy their product? Yes sir, very fine rifles they are, but watch out for the bedding it's crude at best?"

I didn't get to the manufacturer before putting the post up because like I wrote, couldn't find an e-mail link.

I ended up calling them and they guys said it can be a bit rough, but what I was describing sounded a bit out of the ordinary.
He asked for some pictures and if it was really out of line he said it could be replaced.

End of story. I stopped caring and kept on shooting.

Well Express you did the right thing getting hold of the factory and gave them it sound like a chance to fix it. I'm glad you came back with a post to let everyone what is going on for me I'm glad to know your not a bogus post just stiring up the pot. Figured my post would get something going. Well good luck!

Anyone who has purchase an H&S stock knows fully that the bedding block isn't polished. That subject has been covered many time on the net. H&S makes a production high end rifle and not truly a custom. You can get one from them already made up or order one but you use their action and barrel etc. The gap betwwen where my hood closes is different from the right to left side so do I not buy another truck from that manufactor. I think Express was wrong in not contacting H&S first and when someone says that he isn't going to buy there products based on a complain that hasn't even been address by the manufactor plus based on comments made on the net is about the dumbess thing I ever heard. Heck I could get up and bad mouth Weatherby are you going to beleive that, what proof do you have that I even own one. Just hard for me to believe anyone would spend the kind of money express did and not go to the manufactor first me I would send picture etc in a register letter make sure they got them and wait for an answer. Just my .02 worth

Ok, a while back I started to notice that my rifle wasnn't shooting so well. Well, I thought that I wasn't shooting so well anymore anyway. I wasn't shooting much and every time I went to the range I would find I shot badly and get frustrated.
This went on for a while, and I started to blame the gun. I checked every screw in the whole gun, checked the scope everything was in perfect order.
I started shooting my 6PPC for satisfaction and found I was shooting it into .25 at the range, so I started to think that I need to get more trigger time with the HS.
I tried everything. I baught 500 168gn SMK, but it looked like they wouldn't shoot. Strange, because the test target I got with the rifle shows a group of .187, shot using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo so tried the Federal stuff. Still no joy.
It wasn't until I was out shooting at the beginning of August that I went to pick th rifle up by the barrel as it lay next to me that the barrel turned lose. The barrel was less than "finger tight"!

I rekon this might explain where some of my frustration was coming from, so I called HS and asked them what torque I should have it screwed back to, and to see how they would react. Obviously I can't send it back to them for such a repair, so I will have to take it to a gunsmith and pay out of my own pocket to have it put back in a barrel vice.
The rifle has fired less then 500 rounds at this stage.
The guy I spoke to at HS seemed fairly unset and happy to help, he said he would get back to me via e-mail, while I was talking to him I also mentioned that I had already called regarding the stock finish.
Three weeks have passed and I haven't heard from them. I have been away on holiday so I haven't been chasing it up, but I will give them a call tomorrow(Monday).

It looks like I'm not having much luck with this rifles doesn't it?

Express,
That is very disapointing to hear, your expectations for the rifle have not been met. I have never heard of a rifle barrel coming loose, that's amazing - HS or whatever. Somebody really blew-it when that rifle was put together.

I hope that you get that rifle properly assembled and shooting as well as it should. This must be very frustrating. Best of luck with this rifle, hope it turns around for you. (This isn't a new un-announced take-down model is it
wink.gif
)

All the previous comments justify to me why I have just ordered another custom from my gunsmith and not waited for HS to reply to my e-mail,,,,which I sent to them over three months ago!!
I am glad my £2000 is spent elswhere.
shocked.gif

Express ,
Perhaps the barrel came loose because no-one there knew what the correct torque was ?
I had an action wrench / barrel vice for my Sako Swift. The handle on the wrench was only about 275mm long and made that way so I couldn't overtighten the barrel . I never found the torque setting critical . First click in the elbow was the setting from memory . Seriously , I just did it up firmly enough that it wouldn't come undone .
Yours was obviously not torqued up properly from day one or it would never have shot loose .
Fiftydriver recommends 50 - 60 foot pounds in one of his posts .
Most gunsmiths probably won't even have an action wrench that hooks up to a tension wrench so you may not want to be too pedantic about it .
wink.gif

[ 08-30-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

Re: HS Precision quality control (revisited)(revisited again)

In all honesty. I have used many H-S stocks in one variation or the other. I skim bed, glass the recoil lug on all of them. I actually rough them up to assist in epoxy adherance.

I like them enough to swear by them. Yes, McMillan rocks a bit more.

v/r

Sorry to Hear your not happy.
One thing, you apid $3500, and said you were changing triggers.
Yet you did not compain about that. Yes I would be mad at them for the internal finish and trigger and all. For that kind of money you are supposed to be hyper critical. The problem is the just get to big for their britches and their head swells up and they dont care any more. I have seen their rifle advertised, and 3 grand, 1k for the barrel,1k for the action,1k for the stock. The gun better be polished inside and out. I would think they make the rough so lee work has to be done when bedding, but to me a vcomplete rifle should come bedded.
Unfortunately it happens to many of us. I ordered a gun from a custom gun maker and when i complaned after waiting 16 months on a gun they quoted me 4 months on, they said it was my fault and i was impatient. Then dropped the order without teling me, lied to me about who dropped the order and why. Then on top of it all told me they dont do custom work. This was Volquartsen Customs. They have custom work listed on their web site and in their name.
Ive found you have to very picky when dealing with highend items and everything must be in writing.

I have now tested the rifle again and using the same new Lapua brass, fully sized as I had done with all of the batch, same load and bullet it did not shoot to the .5MOA garantee. In fact it did not shoot to 1MOA, best it managed was over 1.5MOA.
I will try shooting it some more, but I am not happy, I do not want this rifle anymore and I want to speak to HS about it. I intend on calling them yet again and asking to speak to a senior/owner as of now since I think this has gone far enough and would like a solution. I intend directing them to these threads so they can see follow the entire story as it unfolded.
I would like to think that I could get my money back but I cannot foree it, especially since they did not make the sale, and there is 1; the distributer and 2; the retailer who have put their cut on top of the deal meaning that I paid a lot more than they got for it but I will ask what they are prepared to do to make me happy.

Standby for more updates.

I spoke to a certain Tom at HS Precision again after testing the rifle and he seemed very concerned and said he would speak to Bignami to find out what happened.
He spoke of getting the rifle back (unfortunately via Bignami) to their facility for evaluation of the problem and eventual resolution.

I have also finally been contacted via e-mail so I have an easier method of corresponding with them.
The email I got was from Todd, the man I dealt with from the beginning and I have written a lengthy response entailing what I feel and what I would like.
He also mentioned he was disturbed I didn't call him about the rifle once it came back, which I did, and we spoke about it at length.

Here is the letter I wrote them;

Hi Todd,
I have recieved your e-mail. I would like to hear what Bignami has to say about the rifle never being sent to you.
I find it disturbing that you do not recall our phone conversation. I called you immediately after receiving the rifle back from Bignami and explained to you that it had not in fact come back to HS. I also explained that via the repair receipt that I was able to speak to the smith who carried out the reparation and that he had only screwed the barrel back in, without checking the threads, headspacing or testing the rifle. You suggested I try it out and hope that it might shoot well once again.
I called back after testing the rifle. Now that the rifle doesn't hold your .5MOA guarantee, while you may remember that previous to the incident it shot much better than .5MOA with a test target of .178MOA and my best being .25MOA.
After speaking to Tom he suggested I try it once again with the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn ammunition but since I have now dismantled the scope and mounts that may take more time again, time I am not willing to waste.

As you know well I am not happy at all about this situation.
I purchased this rifle around October of 2004.
I started shooting it in April of 2005 when I got the rings, bases and scope.
It was around August 2004 that the barrel came loose.
I got it back around April 2006.
I got 4 months of shooting out the rifle in two years.
This is not reasonable.

In this time I have made numerous phone calls, sent e-mails, (never answered because I was always told "that e-mail isn't working") sent faxes (told the fax form the site doesn't work) and for all this had absolutely no satisfaction.

Honestly I do not have much faith that Bignami will send the rifle back, if they are prepared to simply replace the rifle that would suffice in solving the problem for me, leaving the problem to them to deal with considering that they were the cause of all this aggro and the two companies (HS & Bignami) can work who went wrong.

Even in the event that they do agree to take the rifle in and send it to you, going on experience I know I will not see the rifle for many months or possiblly a year taking into account the export/import/export/import procedures as well as the Italian testing bank on it's re-entry not to mention repair times and dead time in transit and processing.

From the very beginning, from when the rifle arrived to me I have kept a sort of diary on various internet forums. I have been very fair and objective giving praise where due and criticism where deserved.
I think you should have a look for yourself, there are many thousands of views and replies, around 5000 last time I counted. Not to mention that my signature line contains the links to each thread with the phrase "one very DISSATISFIED customer of HS PRECISION" this means that it appears in each and every post and reply I have ever posted, also prior to changing the signature line and in unrelated threads. This in turn means that the number of people who have seen this story unfold is many, many thousands.
Many of them are understandably negative toward HS and many people in the market for firearms stated they would not be buying form HS in light of what they have seen happen.
This record of all that has occurred can work to you favour.
It is also a good record of each of our phone conversations, which you may have forgotten over time. I supply you with the links so you can check it out of yourself and refresh your memory and see what people are saying about HS Precision quality control and customer service.
HS Precision or Bignami are in the position to make good on all of this and I will dutifully post all positive and negative results there.
Please read all of the links carefully, you owe it to me to at least take the time to read everything considering how much time and money I have wasted on this matter.

Good day to you,

Attilio Marra.

1st range session-
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post45057

Range session –
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post45192

1st quality control issue –
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post45112

read the last post of the page - http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=3&vc=1

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=4&vc=1

quality control thread -
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1

Quality control revisited -
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...true#Post120830

quality control rant -
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1

quality control rant and history -
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/491104074?r=953101145#953101145

quality control rant and history -
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...0&fpart=all

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.