Howdy, first post, ready to get first build going!

talked to him last night...said same thing...give it to him for recrown, trigger, bedding and then go shoot it from there...if it doesn't shoot then back to him for barrel and asked him about trueing action and he said maybe if a new barrel is needed but with the long action he wasn't too concerned about that part of it?...

anyhow, i have a nice little tikka .270 lam/ss tikka that shoots pretty good with factory...in field conditions i can keep 3 real quick under 2moa to 500 yrds with fusion 130 gr factory ammo(1st two are right on the bull only a few inches apart then i get a wide one that opens up to about 9")...and it weights 7 lb 15 ounces unloaded with leupy rings/bases and 3-9x40 burris ff2 scope with bp reticle....so i'm thinking if i swap stock for a synthetic i can save 11.5 ounces (i hand weighed both)...and then get some talley lightweight rings and a leupy ultralight 3-9x33 with long range reticle(4.2 ounce lighter than burris) then i'll have a pretty decent pack rig (under 7lb all in) that won't need to cost me too much to get there, doesn't hit too hard etc. etc.

the whole reason i want another gun and a bit more precision if for static hunting over farmland/big areas/crops (1/4 section type stuff) so i might as well not worry about weight of gun much (was thinking i could do away with the tikka and have one gun to do it all?...but thats gonna be a pain)....really leaning to a sendero at this point...still tossing on the caliber...not sure if i'm really going to be able to go hard core enough to shoot to 1000 yrds reliably (smith wants me to shoot competitions etc. to see what everyone is doing and how they are doing it...i'm not that hardcore) so if i can get to 7-800 with some confidence (for hunting...in kill zone of whitetail doe type confidence) then i'll be happy...if i go 30 cal then i'll brake it but if i stick to 7mm rm i probably won't which will keep things even simpler for me....rum maybe?....but in that case i'm really liking the 168 vld's and not sure what cartridge could push those to about 3100 fps?...if the rem mag will then thats what i'll get...if gotta go to the rum then thats maybe what i'll get?...i'll search more here and see what speeds people are getting with the vld's in the various 7mm's?...

thanks for help on this one, i'm getting closer to picking up a gun to get started with...the optics?....not sure yet...wouldn't be surprised if i tried a couple until i find what i like there...hopefully for my wallet sake i don't have to do the same for guns lol....this sh.t is addicting!

Last edited:
Canuck

It sounds like you have your head on strait because your doing
the research before making up your mind.

It is very important that if you build exactly what "YOU" want if
you go with a Full Blown Custom. Action,Barrel and Stock for the
caliber and use.

Don't get in a hurry and spend a lot of time with your smith talking
about what YOU want and expect from him.

Look at bilistics,of several cartrages at max range to be used and type
of game to be hunted(This will also help you decide what bullet to use
and how to scope it.

It also sounds like you are considering a bean field type rifle (You said
more static) This would be totaly different from a carry rifle. And in this
case I would recommend A heavy barrel #7 or #8 28" to 30" long
with a laminate stock (more weight in the buttstock for better balance
with heaver barrels) Also the heavy barrels reduce recoil eliminating the
need for a brake on most 30cal and 7mm .

I hope this will add to your selection process.

Good luck on your build
J E CUSTOM

Thanks and yeah, i've got a fun gun custom coming my way in a couple months from ASI, a custom mini in 6.8 for my predator calling adventures....set up pretty simple with bell & carlson stock green, satin finish stainless, 21" linear comped barrel .750 diam, no sights, no hand guard...should be a clean sleek little machine....and probably a few whitetail doe tags will get filled with it also...strictly a fun rig i've always dreamed about...since i started calling predators forsure! When if i ever get a pack of wolves to come in on me....thats the rig i want in my hands...fast follow up shots for the runners due to low recoil/muzzle jump etc. and enough umph for them (1700 ft/lbs me...1000 ft/lbs at 200 yrds) Looking at low power illum. scopes with some click ability to get me to any hang ups out there but red dot quick for close in multiples...leupy mrk4 has a cool one but thinking i might like the vx3 with a target knob instead to get a more traditional illum. reticle...instead of the special purpose...drool over the low power nightforce...but depending on price i doubt it. This is an interesting world you boys play in...one look at that nightforce website...and talk of th ior's...front focal blar blar blar.....my freakin head is spinning!

Time wise i'll be lucky to have this auto-loading rig rolling the way i want it for next fall so i'm gonna plan for this long range rig to be ready for the fall after next fall which should give me enough time to figure it all out and get it built & dialed in.

I'll see what i can do with better optics and reloads for my .270 for packing...otherwise...i'll have to build a mountain gun too. Oh this is gonna be fun. I'll be at this for years and years me thinks.

:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.