Hoping to get my first build underway before too long

slickyboyboo

I've been wheeling and dealing for about the last 4 years, amassing all the parts for this build, and I'm hoping I can get it finished maybe by the end of summer or early fall. It will be a 280 AI throated for shooting 162 A-MAXs. Its amazing how much I saved by wheeling and dealing and picking up a piece here and there. Everything is new except for the 700 Action (its a 6 digit serial# action)

Rem 700 Long Action (after selling the stock, base, and rings)
...................................................................................... $195

Jewel Trigger (had to send a used model 700 I bought back for
repairs, they sent me a new gun back along with the jewel trigger
that was in the old one)
...................................................................................... $0.00

Bolt Fluting and Tactical knob
.......................................................................................$130

Holland Recoil Lug
.......................................................................................$33

Callahan SpeedLock
.......................................................................................$60

PTG Bottom Metal
.......................................................................................$84

Brux .284 1:9 barrel
.......................................................................................$339

SS Action Screws
.......................................................................................$7

McMillan Hunter (After some wheeling and dealing
with some other stocks)
.......................................................................................$134

Leupold DD Rings and Bases (may change this)
.......................................................................................$46

Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 (after more wheeling and dealing)
.......................................................................................$0.00

Gunsmithing for the build (estimate)
.......................................................................................$800

After the build is complete my total investment should be ......$1828

I consider that pretty much a budget build for what I will end up with.

Id say that is one hell of a deal considering all the components going into that rifle! Without the wheeling and dealing you could of possibly been in the $2500-$3000 range.

Well done! Be prepared to get some "opinions" whether you want/need/ask it not! :):D:rolleyes::cool:

I'll be the first to offer an opinion....

Why 280AI? why not 7mm Rem Mag? Everybody talks about how the 280AI can be loaded to shoot like the 7mm Rem Mag, but that just makes me think, go with the 7mag.

I'll be the first to offer an opinion....

Why 280AI? why not 7mm Rem Mag? Everybody talks about how the 280AI can be loaded to shoot like the 7mm Rem Mag, but that just makes me think, go with the 7mag.

I'm building a 280 AI because I've always wanted a .280, and the AI just has an added cool factor. I didn't choose the cartridge on the pretense that it's anything close to the 7mm Rem Mag.

Who is going to put all the parts together for you?
Sounds nice to me.

Former member here Eddybo, before he passed away, was going to build it for me. However, with the change in circumstances, I've got a good family friend that's been building guns for over 35 yrs, and has built a ton of Ackleys over the years.

I'm building a 280 AI because I've always wanted a .280, and the AI just has an added cool factor. I didn't choose the cartridge on the pretense that it's anything close to the 7mm Rem Mag.

ok, going with the 'cool factor' makes if 'ok' :D

As an FYI, I just had my 280Rem out today. I'm shooting the 168Berger hybrid with 60grains of H1000. Velocity was a nice 2830 and <.5moa accuracy. So with your AI, look at H1000 and Retumbo. You might even try the 180grain pills.

I love the .280 AI caliber. I have all the AI's right around it, but not a .280 AI just yet... Next build will be one for sure if all goes to plan.

Look to the Berger 168 VLD's, Nosler .280 AI brass, and IMR 7828 SSC powder for excellent velocities, but work up slowly watching for pressure signs, as with a slow burner like 7828, they will sneak up fast. But you will gain some excellent velocitkes with it.

I run this powder in both my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI with excellent results. I also run it in all my magnums and large magnums, too.

This is just my suggestions. I know how well the Berger 168 VLD's work on deer. They are my go-to bullet for my 7mm RemMag.

Thanks for all the info, I will look into these powders for sure. I am sitting on about 1K 162 A-MAXs, so I will start there for sure. I know eddybo was big on VV N560, and used it exclusively in his .280 AIs. Looking at his targets, it worked for him for sure. Paired up with 162 A-MAXs, he said around 61 ish grains seemed to be the number in all of the 280 AIs he built. I just wish N560 was available anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.