Howa .308 Win

backcountryguide

Just finished a build on a Howa barreled action in .308 Win. Barrel is 24in with a 1-10 twist. I have finished my load work up on it and am getting less than half inch groups shooting off the Harris with a rear bag. Ive set it up just like my other rigs with the bells and whistles of my choice. Im running a 175gr berger @ 2650 with great results. I built this with the intentions of using it on muleys and antelope here in NV. I would like to get some thoughts on what you guys think max lethal range is on this rig assuming I do my part on putting it in the rite spot? I streched the rifle out last weekend and scoured 3 out of five rounds on a five gallon bucket @1400yds. 1000 yards was very doable and the rifle printed just out side 6in for five rounds at this distance. Ive ran my numbers and Im still getting 1000ftlbs @ 1000yards wich I think is enough for muleys. gun)So just want to hear what you all think.

I think perhaps you need to Re-Run your numbers. I really doubt your .308 is retaining 1000 ft.lbs. of energy to 1k yards sir. It looks like 600 yards would be 1015 ft.lbs. It looks like @ 700 yards you will retain approximately 834 ft.lbs which many people consider the minimum in Energy, however you will likely be around 1467 fps which a lot of people would consider to be a little bit low for ensuring proper expansion. About 450 yards would put you at 1850-ish fps and 1332 ft.lbs energy which would be quite deadly.

It all depends on Enough FPS. to ensure expansion of bullet Vs. Ft.Lbs. of energy to ensure penetration. Then again I have known folks who would / could poke critters Way Out There past where the "Book" says you can and still put meat in the freezer.

My personal rule of thumb is 1000 Ft.Lbs. of energy AND 2000 Fps. combination to absolutely ensure every thing that should happens does happen. Then again i *HATE* tracking a wounded critter for hours on end... and don't get me started on where the **** critters usually end up, and me having to hike DOWN then Back UP and Out.. haha Less drama = a better day hunting as far as I am concerned. The older I get the less I want to have to think when out in the field!

Have a good one,
Gary

Thankyou sir but drops have been spot on and numbers verified. Ive seen very favorable results at fps alot slower than you are suggesting. I live at 6500ft and hunt above that.

No problem, like I said I have a couple of friends who fairly routinely hit things WAY out there with good results. Different strokes for different folks.

Just curious which berger bullet exactly?

Have a good one,
Gary

Im shooting a 175gr hunting vld now and im the process of working up a 190gr hunting vld now wich is looking promising. Probaly will have the 190 going a bit over 2500 fps wich would give me a better payload at 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.