howa 300 win mag long range shooting

Johandre

hi guys I am new to this forum. i am from south africa and started shooting long range about 4 years ago.

I just want to find out if there is more people using a howa 300win mag to shoot long range.

I got mine for my 21st birth day and started to upgrade it.
I've put on a reflex suppressor and beded the stock.

worked up some loads for it using 168 gr nosler bt bullets.

it shoots better than my 7mm remington sandero at 500 and also 700 yards.
will this rifle be capable of shooting 1000yards?

And also should i rebarrel it? or is it a waist of time?

the rifle i have with a krieger barrel all shoot great out to 1000 yards. far as i have tried them.

Yes you can shoot 1k. What kind of groups were you getting at 5&700? Are you trying to harvest game at 1k or just punch paper? Also what is the round count on your howa barrel?

I'm not sure how available supplies are in S africa, hell I was detained b/c I had a box of bullets they described as a controlled substance, but I'd look into shooting 180gr+ esp if you plan to take game at that distance.

The groups 2 500 was about 4 inches and about 5 at 700. its got about 450mrounds through the barrel.

supplies are not an big issue here I will try the 180gr nosler ballistic tip. or should i try something else?

If i can i will like to hunt at a 1000yards .

The groups 2 500 was about 4 inches and about 5 at 700. its got about 450mrounds through the barrel.

supplies are not an big issue here I will try the 180gr nosler ballistic tip. or should i try something else?

If i can i will like to hunt at a 1000yards .

Good shooting.

The 180's will give you a little more wind deflection and more energy down range. However I would stick to lighter skinned animals at 1000. I certainly wouldn't try to take a gemsbok at 1k. Blesbok and springboks should be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.