111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

I,m thinking about putting a huskemaw on my 300 win mag savage 111 LRH.I have a great load worked-up for it, any one have that set-up on their rifles or any sugestionsgun lightbulb
Unless the BDC for your specific scope is calculated for your rifle and one chronographed load shot at one altitude and temperature, the greater the range the more the error will be. It can be as much as 4 MOA at 1000 yards.

Unless the BDC for your specific scope is calculated for your rifle and one chronographed load shot at one altitude and temperature, the greater the range the more the error will be. It can be as much as 4 MOA at 1000 yards.

Before I got a G7 Rangefinder I used a BDC on my Huskemaw that was set up for the area I hunted most frequently, and my well tested handload for long range. If I changed location, and conditions for my BDC were different, I used the MOA turret that is supplied with it and Shooter. This worked very well for me.

Greyfox. Wondering if you like it more, less, same as the NF? I have have love hate relationship with my NF. I want to get another LR scope but I am not convinced it will be a NF. Looking for options.

Greyfox. Wondering if you like it more, less, same as the NF? I have have love hate relationship with my NF. I want to get another LR scope but I am not convinced it will be a NF. Looking for options.

I own Huskemaw and Nightforce, which have been used successfully on my long range rifles. I think the glass, durability, and turret accuracy is equal between the Huskamaws (5x20x50)and NF/NXS (5.5x22x50) scopes. I like the more compact dimensions, and lighter weight of the Huskemaws on my 6.5x284's. I also like the quick ratio parallax knob that is accurately calibrated, and the reticle on the Huskemaw. With BDC turrets and the G7 rangefinder it's very fast to get into action. I use these for 1000 yard max shooting of deer sized game, and I have been very successful with this scope. My heavier 300WM set up for 1000+ yards for medium and large game hunting has a NF G7 on it. Never cared for the 10 MOA/revolution turrets on the NF. I like the 20MOA/rev turrets, zero stop and reticle on the G7. The weight, and overall appearance of the NF gives the distinct impression of quality and ruggedness that few scopes including the Huskemaw can match. It cost about $600 more than the Huskemaw, but I do like this scope and it is very compatible with the size and weight of my 300WM. It's a hard call between the two. Both have done the job very well for me. Like yourself, I was looking at other options over the NF and found the Huskemaw gave me one which I was pleasantly surprised. IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the 20 moa turret on my NF and I have the npr1 reticle which is easy to use as well. I am thinking something different for my 06 and 204.
Good luck hunting this season everyone.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the 20 moa turret on my NF and I have the npr1 reticle which is easy to use as well. I am thinking something different for my 06 and 204.
Good luck hunting this season everyone.

Brent......I read thru Greyfox comments and agree with most," good and bad". I would give the SIII a look. I have two of them and really like them with the 2 moa reticle.......Rich

Thanks for the information, I have been using a Zeiss Z-Plex 1000 but have found out that the reticle design is truly for a 308 cartridge not a 300wm I made the mistake of not checking into the exact specifications plus the point of impact changes with different power settings and they tell you to zero @ 500 yards @ 20 power, Try getting target acquisition @ 100 yard deer.Yes long range hunting is a lot of fun and a great challenge but if you have a nice buck or bull at 100 yards that's also very nice.I don't want to make it sound like i,m bashing Zeiss scopes if you own a nice 308 rifle and looking for a great scope the z-plex 1000 is a good choice, just not for a 300 wm. I think I pretty much decided to buy a Huskemaw 20-50 they told me elevation should not be a problem with the 2 turrets and your point of impact doe,nt change with the zoom I would like something for faster target acquisitions and strictly hunting. thanks for the information...............gun)

thanks for the information, i have been using a zeiss z-plex 1000 but have found out that the reticle design is truly for a 308 cartridge not a 300wm i made the mistake of not checking into the exact specifications plus the point of impact changes with different power settings and they tell you to zero @ 500 yards @ 20 power, try getting target acquisition @ 100 yard deer.yes long range hunting is a lot of fun and a great challenge but if you have a nice buck or bull at 100 yards that's also very nice.i don't want to make it sound like i,m bashing zeiss scopes if you own a nice 308 rifle and looking for a great scope the z-plex 1000 is a good choice, just not for a 300 wm. I think i pretty much decided to buy a huskemaw 20-50 they told me elevation should not be a problem with the 2 turrets and your point of impact doe,nt change with the zoom i would like something for faster target acquisitions and strictly hunting. Thanks for the information...............gun)

anything thats free is worth saving up for

Ya I think the vortex is a good buy for the money my friend has one on his 7mm that is milldoted. Their was a salesman at sportsman warehouse that also sold him the vortex bino and was trying to tell me they were better than the Swarovski 10x42 I said I dont think so any how not bad glass for the money.

Uh yeah. I have played with vortex spotters and binos and have nothing bad to say but they don't hold a candle to my Swarovski 10x50 EL with swarovision. At first look they are very nice, like many others, but after 10 hour days, day after day, big differences are felt and seen.

Well everyone talked me out of a huskama scope.I bought a Knight Force 5.5x22x56 zero stop,time to start some hard-core learning m.o.a. I think I,ll start with a 300 yard zero and then use m.o.a. out to 1200 yards.Hopefully they have a good ballistic program. Any suggestions gun)

IMHO, you don't need a zero that far out unless you have specific need to do so. The reason I say this is simply that you can zero at 100 or 200 and use a program to manage the rest. I use Shooter on an iPod and it works awesome for me. I also make my own chart for quick reference if I have a quick shot to make happen. The computer program could care less what your zero is, it will calculate everything for you to whatever distance you can shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.