111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

Understood, i was thinking of a 300 yard zero and then using my retical marks for 400 and 500 yard shoots after that then stricly just m.o.a., I have a M.O.A.R. retical I think that would give me faster target aquisition.gun) What do you think ?

Many LR shooters choose to go with a 100 or 200 yard zero. It's more convenient to confirm and fine tune then going with 300 yards. Seeing at 00 yards can be effected by wind which can introduce error which will be exaggerated when using turrets for long range shots.

I can see your point and don't disagree with it. Just curious. As Greyfox mentioned it is harder to get a zero and reconfirm zero in the field after a trip or whatever. I use 200 but I am seriously considering a 100 zero for practical field application. For example, if I travel and want to confirm zero, 100 yards is pretty easy to set up and easier to shoot accurately.

Another guy that thinks he can shoot long range with a good rifle and store bought ammo.Were do they all come from?. The answer is called load development, You need to get in to hand loading not re-loading or their are hand loaders that will make you a nice load for that great savage that you bought for a fee. 8 inch groups at 200 yards Did you check your frame bolts and set to 40 inch pounds . Did you adjust the acutrigger down to 3 pounds and who's shooting the rifle. Also you will need at least 200 or more rounds through that rifle before it calms down cleaning every 3 or 4 shots with Butches bore shine and sweets then kroll oil until you have a nice clean dry patch. Then re-post here and well all help you out. ...............gun)

My buddie has the 111 in 6.5x284 it is accurate....
But after the shot his bolt is hard to lift, this is with factory ammo and mild handloads.. I asked him to call savage and the response from savage was it's like a tight ***** how can that be bad???
I was getting ready to pounce on one in 7mm mag. But i will wait and see what shows up next...

I hope you get this resolved ...I wanted to post this link on Savages facebook page but I guess I am to challanged to do it.. sometimes shame is the best tool :rolleyes:

what about getting a sendero??

I can see your point and don't disagree with it. Just curious. As Greyfox mentioned it is harder to get a zero and reconfirm zero in the field after a trip or whatever. I use 200 but I am seriously considering a 100 zero for practical field application. For example, if I travel and want to confirm zero, 100 yards is pretty easy to set up and easier to shoot accurately.

I zero'd my scope at 212 yards for hunting season last year. No BDC on my hunting rifle's scope so it was just sort of a *puts thumb up* eh, good enough. Actually surprisingly accurate for a funky zero, even with factory rounds.

I just bought one of these new and the only thing I can say good about it is the box magazine is long enough to shoot the longest bullets you can fine.
Factory ammo is .200 off the lands of the rifle and accuracy is terrible. Even with reloads it is not good.
This is by far the worst Savage I have ever owned or shot as far as accuracy.
I have tried adjusting OAL and seems like a bedding problem.
Any suggestions

I was recently fighting the same thing on my 300 RUM Sendero, except mine used to shoot really good then went to crap. It turned out to be a locking ring inside my scope came loose causing the large group size. Mine was a Viper PST and I know you are using a NightForce but stranger things have happened. Just letting you know my experience. By the way Vortex was awesome and had it back to me in no time.

Ceder

You need at least 200 rounds down that barrel Before it breaks in then make sure to torque frame screws to 40 inch pounds. Clean barrel every 3 to 5 shots then use your fire formed brass clean and neck size. Try some 208-g A-max with using the powder ladder system testing with RETUMBO till you see any kind of preasure signs stop.I Will make 3 rounds for example with 70-g then 70.5 then 80.0 then 80.5 and mark your targets at 100-y with the coresponding loads that you just made up in 3 shot groups. pick your best group then we can tackle your bullet seatting test. Remember a good Hand loader always makes his rounds as perfect as possible as Identical as possible. Repeatability is the name or the game.gun) And no crimped necks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.