Howa 300 Mag Load Help.

JKRamsey1991

Good Evening,

I have a Howa 1500 300 Win Mag heavy barrel in a Boyd's thumbhole stock that has been glass bedded. Currently equipped with a SWFA 12x SS scope. I have been unable to get the accuracy out of the rifle I expect. I have tried several bullets from 165gr to 220gr and have only occasionally been able to get a 1moa group. Checked the rifle out and it seems to have an extremely long throat. I would have to load the rounds way longer than the mag will allow.

I'm curious what bullets you would recommend that I can load that would allow me to get closer to the lands.

Also if anyone has a Howa in 300 mag can you share your accuracy and/or pet loads.

The Sierra matchkings did it for me, I load the 220gr in my 300wm. I wasn't able to load the Bergers because the bullets were so long I was getting crappy groups and couldn't get near the lands. The 220s I am able to feed from an aics 300win magazine.

Last edited:
Loading close or far from the rifling makes zero difference to accuracy.
Tuning at whatever length the bullets are at is what makes the difference.

Read up Bergers recommended bullet tuning method.
Can't remember the exact numbers, but it goes .020, .040, .060, .080, .100 & .120".
One of those will tighten groups dramatically over the others.
I have done similar, some of my comp barrels like .080" jump, while others like .010" jammed........go figure.

Cheers.

Loading close or far from the rifling makes zero difference to accuracy.
Tuning at whatever length the bullets are at is what makes the difference.

Read up Bergers recommended bullet tuning method.
Can't remember the exact numbers, but it goes .020, .040, .060, .080, .100 & .120".
One of those will tighten groups dramatically over the others.
I have done similar, some of my comp barrels like .080" jump, while others like .010" jammed........go figure.

Cheers.
Umm what? It makes a huge difference especially with Bergers.

Unfortunately, you also believe all the Benchrest BS about close to the lands being the ONLY way to get accuracy..........simply isn't true.

PERIOD..........
I don't think you know what your talking about, or maybe you are confused. The original post was about finding a bullet that he could seat closer to the lands and tune better because his rifle has a long throat. To get a good load you want to start as close to the lands as you can hopefully .010 off and work back. Finding a good seating depth. Some bullets don't like jump. The sierras are built differently and he might be able to still feed them from the mag instead of single feeding the long bullets

Unfortunately, you also believe all the Benchrest BS about close to the lands being the ONLY way to get accuracy..........simply isn't true.

PERIOD..........
Magnum, you are missing the point. Seating depth is still seating depth regardless of how far it is from the lands. Your post from Berger's website is all about seating depth. This rifle might not allow any bullets to get within .120 of the lands the only way to know is measure the free bore.

I don't think you know what your talking about, or maybe you are confused. The original post was about finding a bullet that he could seat closer to the lands and tune better because his rifle has a long throat. To get a good load you want to start as close to the lands as you can hopefully .010 off and work back. Finding a good seating depth. Some bullets don't like jump. The sierras are built differently and he might be able to still feed them from the mag instead of single feeding the long bullets[/QUOTE

I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Where does this .010" from the lands come from?
Is it some magical number covered with pixy dust?

My point is that there is NO magical number, even with Berger bullets, that you SHOULD be from the rifling.
Work from mag length, seat deeper until groups tighten. Simple.

Even Berger didn't believe seating FURTHER away from the lands worked.........until hunters in the field proved them wrong.

Hunting rifles are NOT Benchrest guns and shouldn't be handicapped by BS Benchrest ideas being applied to them.

We do not even know how the OP makes his ammo.

?

Didn't mean to cause any arguements gentlemen. I have in the past anyway had more consistent luck with accuracy when I can get closer to the lands. I realize it isn't any sort of law just from my own past experience.

Does anyone on here own a Howa in 300 mag that can share some accuracy results?

I have a 300 Win mag that has a long throat and a short mag box.Accubonds seem to shoot well with a little jump.Try 74.0grs of IMR or Accurate 4350 with 165gr bullets or 72.0grs of the same powders with 180gr bullets.Another load that worked well was 80.0grs of Magnum with a 200gr Accubond.

I have been working a load on the kryptek heavy barrel 300wm for my buddy. I have it shooting about 3/4" at .035" off the lands with a 212 eld-x and rl-26. I can't remember the charge but i want to say its 2.5 or 3 grains lighter than max. Rem 9 1/2 magnum primers. Thats as good as i got it. I could not get it to like 185 bergers and I could not get it to like h-1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.