300 Win Mag Load Development Help

I've been reloading for about a year and a half. I've developed loads before that have held sub moa groups, however never for a 300 mag. I've also never specifically reloaded Bergers. I'm definitely still a beginner as I have a lot to learn but I do understand the basics of reloading and load development. As for the yardages... the farthest shot that I'll be taking is around 750 yds. Majority of my shots will come in the 250-350 range. I do have a 7mm rem mag that is ready to go if I need it. I just really want to use this gun as I have been building it since December. Sportsman's Emporium does have federal premiums with a 185 g Berger hybrid. I considered buying that as a backup just in case my load development didn't work as planned.

I shoot the Berger 215. But if time is a priority I agree to go with the Hammer. I did a quick load work up with the 124 Hammer Hunter in my 6.5x47 for a upcoming antelope hunt. Six shots and load development was done! Incredible performance on the antelope as well.

Hi all,
So I recently built a 300 win mag out of a rem 700. I'm trying to develop a load for the gun. I was given 20 preloaded Berger 190 VLDs with 70.9 g of h4831sc .05 off the lands and they didn't shoot well through the gun. Couldn't get them to group at 100 yds. I'm wanting to develop a load for whitetail-elk sizes animas. I thought about Berger 215 hybrids and have been recommended H1000 but I can't find any anywhere in the state. Is there any other powder I can use? (I have yet to buy any bullets, which is why I'm not set on any type). Is there any recommendations on where to start?
Retumbo
4831sc
Hi all,
So I recently built a 300 win mag out of a rem 700. I'm trying to develop a load for the gun. I was given 20 preloaded Berger 190 VLDs with 70.9 g of h4831sc .05 off the lands and they didn't shoot well through the gun. Couldn't get them to group at 100 yds. I'm wanting to develop a load for whitetail-elk sizes animas. I thought about Berger 215 hybrids and have been recommended H1000 but I can't find any anywhere in the state. Is there any other powder I can use? (I have yet to buy any bullets, which is why I'm not set on any type). Is there any recommendations on where to start?

Hi all,
H4350 can be used and 208 eldm...as a suggestion.... excellent results

H1000 is my best powder for my 300 WM. I would stay away from Berger bullets for big game. I have had 2 train wrecks using them. Go to a real hunting bullet like Hornady, Nosler or Sierra.

Hi all,
If you are looking for simplicity try RL23 and 185 gr. Berger's. I was getting a one hole group at 100 yards.

H1000 with Berger 215's are a beautiful thing out of a 300 win mag. My 300 is a new gun that I have just worked up a load with this combo. I have used a 7mag for years with H1000 and Berger Classic Hunters and this bullet kills elk faster than any other bullet I have used. A buddy of mine uses Hornady 180gr SST's and have been impressed with them as well. I believe the Berger 215 will be an excellent game bullet.

I encountered the same problem with my Winchester Mod 70 Laredo LRH ( it's old!) The mag well was to short to seat the Bergers properly. I would check the Berger Stability program to verify the twist rate and velocity is enough to stabilize the bullet. Then if that's a go, refer to the Berger seating procedure ( they can be difficult to shoot accurately at 100 yds. "Generally" those bullets don't go to sleep until +/- 300 yds. In my rifles they shoot the same group measurement at 100 & 500 yds! A 1-1/2" group at 100 shoot 1-1/2" group at 500 yds. Im my case the mag well would only allow the Bergers to be seated 0.258" off lands and function properly so I switched to the 180 gr Ballistic Silver tip.

Having the same issue finding the popular powders. Started a thread a few weeks ago. I was able to obtain some H4831SC. Found a mild node, 2700 fps with a 210 Berger hvld, .070 of the lands. It's no speed demon, but it shoots .6 moa consistently.

Hi all,
I'm running 79gr of H1000 behind 190gr Berger VLDs at .015" off the lands and it shoots lights out. H1000 was developed for the 300 WM and it shoots great in mine.

Pick the bullet you want to shoot, 215-230 hybrids, 208-225 ELD-M have worked great for me, though I'm now shooting 230 ATips. I prefer RL-26 of H1000 with heavy bullets. Either way, pick a bullet and a powder and load a ladder to find pressure. Go a few grains past max and then just pull everything past your first sign of pressure. Load one at each charge weight from about the middle of the recommend loads and go up in .3 he increments. Shoot there through a chrono with the bullet seated .020" off the lands or so. Then find where the node is where the velocity spread between charge weights is lowest. Then load 5 at whatever is a common seating depth for that bullet. Shoot a group with that and see how it does. Maybe you'll have to load a few different seating depths if it's a bullet that you're not familiar with. That's the easiest way to develop a load. I can usually get a load with single digit SD, ES in the teens and half minute or better groups, in 30 rounds. I load develop for 4-7 new barrels per year and often a couple different bullets and rarely take more than 30-35 rounds to load develop.

If your not already sitting on a supply of retumbo or H-1000 they are going to be hard to find, not impossible just difficult. That being said I would look to try 7828,4350 or 4831. I'm not real familiar with the Alliant powders

Hi all,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.