Howa 1500 - semi custom build

shamu2240

I just bought a Howa 1500, 308 tactical for really cheap and I'm thinking about putting some money into it and building a semi-custom. I want to build it for my wife, she likes shooting and I'm trying to get her into hunting. So basically what I want to do with this rifle is get the action trued/blueprinted, new stock, barrel (carbon Fiber), and a light scope to go along with it. I don't think she'll ever take this out past 500 yards....if that. The rifle needs to be lightweight, easy to handle and carry, she's not used to running around the woods with a gun. My goal is to make it as easy and fun for her as possible so she'll want to come with mw. So with that info my main question is,

What caliber/barrel length/twist rate would be the best to make it easy for her to shoot and still have a good round to go hunting with?

Man, I know it's not super cool or the greatest thing in the whole world, but under 500, I'd be really tempted to leave it alone as a 308. The Howa I had was superbly accurate and a 308'll do the trick. They're easy, relatively inexpensive to load for and with a brake or suppressor I couldnt imagine a better way to go. There'll be a hundred guys saying this or that and it's your money, but I'd take it for a spin as is with good glass. A brake makes it more fun, a suppressor would make it a joy. It might be a bit heavy, so a lighter stock that fits, trigger job... or..? Could be surprised.

Here's mine that I just got back from my smith. Manners MCST-A, bartlein #3 finished at 24" plus brake. PTG bottom metal, WTO switchlug and Hawkins two port brake. Total weight of bare rifle is 10.2lbs on my bathroom scale. One thing that you probably already know, but maybe not, is the threads on a Howa are metric, and lots of Smith's I talked to wouldn't work on them. Also the steel used for them is harder than most. I know Kampfeld will work on them and has some pretty cool looking lightening cuts they can do to shave weight. Mine started life as a .308 but is now a 6.5 creedmoor. I'm hoping to have a .223 trainer barrel and bolt set up later this year and a magnum set up once Howa releases their new 6.5 PRC.

Attachments

• 4FFB4CB1-651E-4EAF-91D0-241539E8E59A.jpeg
    4FFB4CB1-651E-4EAF-91D0-241539E8E59A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,025
Ok if yur gonna trick it out ,caliber .284 carthridge 708remington , barrel length 24 twist 1/9 go Stainless steel in a #3 conture , don't scrimp on it Barrel ,,,,,,,,,, go top Notch !!! have it glass/pillar beded in a synthetic stock that"s lite ,and length of pull set up for her . Start her out shooting 120 grain bullets ,good luck n Cheers !!!

Have you shot it as it sits yet?with the great reviews I've read, I'd get a stock that fits her and just get shooting. If she ends up really liking it and there's reason to change, figure that out then.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone. I think I'm gonna take some of that advice and shoot it first, then I'll see if it needs to be messed with. Haven't shot it yet because I live in CA and I need to wait my 10 days before I can pick it up, still have 9 more to go. So that means no suppressor for me either. I'll throw a brake on it and see how my wife likes it. Might be a while before I can get it to the range and see how it shoots, but I'll try and keep you guys updated.

I did put a Timney trigger on my 1500 in 204 Ruger. With that it shoots better than I can with that pencil thin barrel that it has on it. I would break it in and see just how it shoots before pouring a lot of money into it. You could very well be surprised.

Since you intend to try it out as is, go ahead and brake it, if you hand load call up Steve at Hammer Bullets, I've got no personal experience with him but everything I've read about his customer service and products is amazing. His all copper bullets fit the bill for CA, and I've been told they are extremely accurate and easy to load. If you don't load your own, I'm fairly certain Hammer will custom load ammo for you. You can go with a lighter faster bullet to help with recoil and still have an effective hunting round.

I have 2 Howa's. The 308 with 24" heavy barrel will shoot 1 MOA all day long in stock form. Then I have a sporter weight 6.5 Creed that I bought as a barreled action. I have a Jard trigger and MDT LSS-XL chassis that I swap the two around from time to time, both are around 3/4 MOA in the chassis with factory ammo and I'll be playing with reloading once I have time. The 6.5 in that chassis is really light, I've never weighed it, but I bet it's about 6.5 pounds without scope. If I were you, I would go shoot and enjoy the thing! Around Black Friday time MDT and Brownells have good sales on the chassis. I'm gonna be looking for a sale on the Oryx to put my 308 in more permanently.

I have built a couple "Semi-custom" Howa based rifles. They are all just basic Howa barrelled actions with aftermarket stocks and triggers. Each one shot impressively before tinkering, right at 1 MOA maximum.

Most notable is my 223 with #6 heavy barrel cut to 16.5" and threaded for suppressor/brake. It sits in a B&C medalist stock with Timney trigger. I skim bedded the action and then extended the throat depth to seat longer bullets. The idea was to see how cheap I could build a super accurate truck gun. Result: after working up a load with Varget and 73g ELD-M I can easily shoot .25 MOA at 100y and could do better in the hands of a better bench shooter. It slays coyotes unlike anything I have had before.

While they do not have the aftermarket support of a 700, they are great rifles to tinker with at home and should yield very good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.