Howa 1500 - semi custom build

He is in Cali so I would stick with the Hammer Hunters as mentioned before. In my opinion I would bet she would take a small amount of recoil over a large amount of noise. Let her shoot some lighter bullets before you do anything to the rifle. I still recommend the trigger replacement.

Missed the California requirement, 110 and 130 grain TTSX are light on the shoulder as well. The HACT 2 stage trigger in my daughter's Howa is a really nice trigger. If the OP's rifle has one I don't know if I'd shop a replacement.

Man that's a real nice buck! I'd really be proud of her, as I'm sure you are! Glad to see you bringing her up right!

Thank you, she has been hunting deer since she has been nine. She has a couple pronghorn under her belt and this year hopefully a muzzle loader bull elk. You're right I'm pretty proud of her.

Missed the California requirement, 110 and 130 grain TTSX are light on the shoulder as well. The HACT 2 stage trigger in my daughter's Howa is a really nice trigger. If the OP's rifle has one I don't know if I'd shop a replacement.

Thank you, she has been hunting deer since she has been nine. She has a couple pronghorn under her belt and this year hopefully a muzzle loader bull elk. You're right I'm pretty proud of her.
And so you should be! But I wouldn't replace the trigger either!

<SNIPPED STUFF THROUGHOUT> Bought Howa 1500 in 308 Win; want to build it for my wife; shooting and hunting. The rifle needs to be lightweight, easy to handle and carry. What caliber/barrel length/twist rate would be the best to make it easy for her to shoot and still have a good round to go hunting with?

Light is right, both in rifle weight AND in the recoil dept. Based on your 'goals', the most logical choice would be a 6.5 Creedmoor with a light barrel, 22" in length (best compromise in portability, velocity, and blast mitigation), 1:8 twist, firing bullets in the 120 to 130 grain range (they will have less recoil than the heavier bullet options.)

The new stock advice is spot on. Women's anatomy is different and not just in the 'obvious' ways. Look at what Weatherby did with Vanguard Camilla rifle (made for women.)
http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-camilla.html
Looking at that stock, women have a longer neck and need a taller comb, so a stock with an adjustable comb would be great. Something with an LOP adjustment would be a plus, too. And if you can fit a Limbsaver recoil pad to it, all the better.
DO NOT PUT A MUZZLE-BRAKE ON THIS GUN! Too loud. Never a good idea on a hunting gun.

Buy her one of these to wear when shooting:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162KJNE/?tag=lrhmag19-20
Remember, if the gun "hurts" she will NOT want to shoot it or hunt with it and all your time and efforts will be wasted and that will make you frustrated. Let's make this a success for HER and for YOU.

I just bought a Howa 1500, 308 tactical for really cheap and I'm thinking about putting some money into it and building a semi-custom. I want to build it for my wife, she likes shooting and I'm trying to get her into hunting. So basically what I want to do with this rifle is get the action trued/blueprinted, new stock, barrel (carbon Fiber), and a light scope to go along with it. I don't think she'll ever take this out past 500 yards....if that. The rifle needs to be lightweight, easy to handle and carry, she's not used to running around the woods with a gun. My goal is to make it as easy and fun for her as possible so she'll want to come with mw. So with that info my main question is,

What caliber/barrel length/twist rate would be the best to make it easy for her to shoot and still have a good round to go hunting with?

Can she shoot the 308 without recoil issues? If so leave it. If not continue.

You didn't say what you are hunting. If it is deer and smaller, 243 win, 6mm Creedmoor, or 257 Robert's. If elk are involved 260 rem, 6.5 creedmoor, or 7-08.

I have several howa/weatherby vanguards and they all shoot very well. My 257 weatherby mag will shoot under .75 MOA if I do my part.

And so you should be! But I wouldn't replace the trigger either!

I would not replace the trigger assembly either, but I would replace the trigger spring and I have. I have used the GunBloke's 1.5lb trigger spring from Australia via ebay for $14.96. He also sells a 2.0lb Hact trigger spring. But I have been pleased with the 1.5lb. Having set my trigger spring pressure from 1 lb to 2 lbs with this 1.5 spring safely. The Hact trigger to me is really nice with the revised spring. I typically have it set at the 1.5lb setting and it works well for me.

I think my wife would be fine with the recoil from a 308, she might not want to put 60 rounds down the tube in a single sitting but she can hold her own. My main focus is weight. She's not use to carrying a pack/gun in the woods, going up and down hills all day. Not that I would subject her to that her first time out. What I envision is getting her comfortable with the rifle at the range, then a nice easy coyote hunt the first time out to ease her into it. Get her comfortable with actually hunting a living, breathing animal. Nothing serious, even if we go out and only hunt for a few hours. Then work her up to deer if she wants. I don't think she'll ever want to go on an elk hunt so I think it's fine to say she'd never shoot at anything larger than a pig or a deer.

I would not replace the trigger assembly either, but I would replace the trigger spring and I have. I have used the GunBloke's 1.5lb trigger spring from Australia via ebay for $14.96. He also sells a 2.0lb Hact trigger spring. But I have been pleased with the 1.5lb. Having set my trigger spring pressure from 1 lb to 2 lbs with this 1.5 spring safely. The Hact trigger to me is really nice with the revised spring. I typically have it set at the 1.5lb setting and it works well for me.
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

You are welcome and I look forward to your results and her appreciation of the rifle you are doing for her. I know I am happy with the one I have and it shoots well with the factory heavy barrel. Looking to do another one. The current one is a 6.5 CM.

I was pleased I didn't have to spend another $200 for an aftermarket trigger like I have done on all of my Remingtons. A $15 spring left the rifle with an excellent trigger.

At 1.5 for a new shooter you are heading into dangerous territory. I would not recommend it. For this application I would leave it alone. 5 years from now and 2000 rds in.... maybe...but not now...the Hact 2 is perfect for now

At 1.5 for a new shooter you are heading into dangerous territory. I would not recommend it. For this application I would leave it alone. 5 years from now and 2000 rds in.... maybe...but not now...the Hact 2 is perfect for now

Good thought!

Would you buy the 2 lb spring set about 2.75 lbs? I don't think you can really get the stock one down to 3 lbs as they advertise unless it is well used. Even at 3.5 lbs I have a tendency to pull shots.. and a new shooter is even more likely to do so.

Perhaps set it down for ease of use & confidence building on range days, and then increase it for hunting days?

Buck Fever is not gender specific.

Your current HEAVY .308 Win might actually be tolerable to her, especially with a Limbsaver pad on it firing 130 grain TTSX bullets. Great!

But when you lighten it up, it will NOT be okay. A .308 Win is not a 'light-kicking' cartridge in a light-weight gun, as my Rem 700 titanium in that cartridge "proves" every time I pull the trigger on it. I see a marital spat in your future...but hey...you got this!

(Subliminal voice for you....243 win...243 win...243 win...6.5CM...6.5CM...6.5CM)

Your current HEAVY .308 Win might actually be tolerable to her, especially with a Limbsaver pad on it firing 130 grain TTSX bullets. Great!

But when you lighten it up, it will NOT be okay. A .308 Win is not a 'light-kicking' cartridge in a light-weight gun, as my Rem 700 titanium in that cartridge "proves" every time I pull the trigger on it. I see a marital spat in your future...but hey...you got this!

(Subliminal voice for you....243 win...243 win...243 win...6.5CM...6.5CM...6.5CM)
Hahaha.......yes the little voice in my heads keeps telling me 6.5cm too, like you said 22'' barrel 120 - 130 grain bullets keeps coming back to me. I think the first step is to just get it in her hands and let her feel the weight and shoulder it a few times at home and see what her thoughts on it are.

Good thought!

Would you buy the 2 lb spring set about 2.75 lbs? I don't think you can really get the stock one down to 3 lbs as they advertise unless it is well used. Even at 3.5 lbs I have a tendency to pull shots.. and a new shooter is even more likely to do so.
2.75....Yes and my Howas are all breaking at 2.9.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.