• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

How to Ship a Rifle in 2021?

If you ship it yourself, make a copy of your drivers license and use a sharpie to cross out your D/L number, and all other stuff that's not necessary. All the receiving FFL needs is your name and address, this lessens the chance of ID theft.

What about insuring it if it is lost or stolen and if they do sell you insurance can you ever really collect or will they give you the run around or bury in a nightmare of paper work.

Dean

Another vote for shipmygun.com

Last fall I sold two handguns through another forum. I used a service provided by Bud's Gun Shop,

Simple straight forward procedure, all handled on line, or a phone call if you have a question. I do suggest going to the bathroom before calling, just like everyone else they are busy as one-armed-paper hangers.

Hand guns are much more expensive to ship v. long guns, This service saved me a bucketful of money on shipping - $35 opposed to >$100. Insurance is available, legalities are dealt with, shipping label provided via (e)mail, with tracking. Walk into UPS hand the package over, walk out and it is on it's way.

Last edited:
What about insuring it if it is lost or stolen and if they do sell you insurance can you ever really collect or will they give you the run around or bury in a nightmare of paper work.

Dean
Items must be properly packaged to make an insurance claim. Proper packaging basically consists of shipping the rifle in a factory box, inside of a 200 psi cardboard box, but there are other ways to do it. One thing that is required though, is that all of the packing materials must be kept by the receiver for inspection if needed. I've made claims with all 3 of the shippers, and have won them all with very little trouble.

When I ship I break the fire arm as far down as I can reasonably box it packed as right as I can then do not put down anything that says gun or firearm when you fill out the address don't put gun shop or guns just the name the person expecting the delivery I tell UPS it's parts then insure it for it value

I have sold and shipped 10 to 15 rifles in the last three weeks all with USPS. I'm a FFL so I send to another FFL, if you are a private citizen send to a FFL with copy of your drivers license, your good to go. You can pre pay for it , get a shipping label and drop off and go.

Ups or fedex ground is easy. Put whatever paperwork you want the buyer /FFL to have in the box. You don't need to show ups/Fedex the FFL paperwork and it's not up to them to verify the address is a FFL, that's on you. Communicate with the FFL if you want to verify if they are the FFL that you are shipping to. I just sold a rifle to a guy in another state and I talked to the FFL to let them know it was coming and once I shipped it, I sent the tracking info to the buyer. Pretty easy stuff.
Recent GB purchase shipped in from out of state, seller claimed FedEx in northern Montana drop location requires copy of FFL license matching address on the package. I called to confirm, thinking seller was merely wanting a FFL copy to use for his personal purchases. I suspect, as with ATF inspectors, there is much variation in local practices.

I will not usps to ship any packages.
Sent two boxes of berger bullets to another member and one box of bullets were lost out of the box.
Sent in claim in December with info from email on trade.
Sent in photos of usps box that was partially opened and local post master agreed it was there fault.
Claim denied.
Sent in appeal with original email from supplier when i first purchased.
Claim denied.
Will file another appeal.
Usps insurance is nothing more than a scam .

Have gun well packaged, and make sure the BOLT is out and the gun in unloaded. The bolt needs to be out of the gun and packaged in the same box, but in a manner to keep it from being bent or broken. A bolt gun should never be shipped with the bolt installed as that is also a great way for the handle to be damaged. FFL paperwork needs to be in the box (if required by receiving FFL) and you will need to have VERIFIED with receiving FFL he can and will accept from an individual. You will also need to include a bill of sale and any info the receiving FFL requires to log the gun in. For pump and semi's, break the gun down, or block the action open. My hub has been very easy to deal with, but they want to know for a fact that the gun is unloaded, no ammo being shipped with the gun and the bolt is out or otherwise gun made to be inoperable until new owner reassembles or unblocks the action.

USPS is convenient and you do not have to tell them what you are shipping.Break the gun apart.If a rifle,just take the stock off.I buy Rifle Boxes at a UPS store.About $6.00 a pop.Get plenty bubble wrap and don`t be cheap with it.Use a good shipping tape like TRex or Gorilla tape and tape the snot out of the box.Ask for the FFLs that you are shipping too for the first three and last 5 of his FFL license number.You can then do a BATF EZCheck online.It will show if his license is currant and also his business address.You do not need a copy of his license.Do not write that it is a firearm anywhere on the box.I always send a copy of my State DL as a favor to the FFL holder so he can enter your info in his log.You do not have to but it is much appreciated.Make sure you Insure it for the full amount including shipping expense.You mention doing it cheap.There is no cheap shipping any more.Expect $40.00 and up depending where you are shipping to and weight and Insurance..I have found Friday the best day to ship USPS.It generally goes to anywhere in the US from Wi. by Monday or Tuesday.Make sure you ask for delivery confirmation and a signature.

When I ship myself I use a UPS hub, no problems. However, the local FFL I use will ship for me at no cost other than shipping, I just have to package it, this way I don't have to worry about a copy of my DL or anyone getting my personal info.

Hello good people, hope all of you are well except for muscle soreness in the stomach, but we can't blame it on dems, for falling up a perfect set of stairs. Ok don't know what kind of weapon is being shipped, but at one time I was told I could not ship a gun, ok so I didn't I broke down the gun and shipped it in two different shipments, as of then I think it would be shipping parts, this has been a good thing so far need to pay attention to packaging, ups has had certain one missing. So be careful and play it, it does work👍

Recent Posts